• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

rustystud

001.jpg004.jpg006.jpg009.jpg010.jpg017.jpg

Here's some pictures of my Winch and Bumper Project. I had the inner sections formed at a machine shop and then cut out some 1/4" plate for the side reinforcements. The bolts are 1/2" grade 8 fine thread Frame (Flanged) bolts with Flanged Stover (locking) nuts, and 5/8" grade 8 fine thread Frame (flanged) bolts with Flanged Stover (locking) nuts. I used 34ea. 1/2" bolts and 16ea. 5/8" bolts on the frame extensions themselves.

rustystud

For some reason I am unable to upload anymore pictures. The next set of pictures show the bumpers I used. Yes bumpers (plural) . I have a new Warn 18,000 Ibs winch I bought from a member here last year that I plan on mounting on the bumpers. I still need to make up some lateral support rods to the lower bumper and the actual mounting plate for the winch.

rustystud

025.jpg024.jpg

I was finally able to upload at least these two pictures. They show what I'm trying to do. The winch will be mounted on the inside of the bumpers on a steel plate that will be bolted through the bumpers. The opening will have a roller fairlead mounted on the outside. The bottom bumper will have a support bracket bolted to the bottom flange and the trucks frame by the front spring mount.

goldneagle

WOW nice job on the bumper and frame extension project. (got a bit carried away with the nuts and bolts there) The genuine military frame extensions only have the inner splice piece. (even the 5 tons) But more is better. If you got the 18,000 lb winch that goes on the MRAP you will be very pleased with it. I love mine!

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 606895View attachment 606896View attachment 606897View attachment 606898View attachment 606899View attachment 606900

Here's some pictures of my Winch and Bumper Project. I had the inner sections formed at a machine shop and then cut out some 1/4" plate for the side reinforcements. The bolts are 1/2" grade 8 fine thread Frame (Flanged) bolts with Flanged Stover (locking) nuts, and 5/8" grade 8 fine thread Frame (flanged) bolts with Flanged Stover (locking) nuts. I used 34ea. 1/2" bolts and 16ea. 5/8" bolts on the frame extensions themselves.
Good work RS. My thought is you have too many bolts. Frame will bend near the spring hangers due to excessive weight of bolts. rofl

99nouns

That front extension looks more stronger then rest of the truck, will you please tell me what did the machine shop charged you for making the inner frame and what kind of steel did you use, I also am planing to extend a frame. Did you also drilled your holes, that's a lot of holes, how long did it take and how many bits did you brake/used???

Section8

That looks wicked Rusty!!
The double bumper would definately keep you in the laws books for clearance issues. You could lift your rig 8 inches and use 1600 series tires and most likely be still legal.
Since most tend to agree it isn't a good idea to weld the frame on our trucks I would say that the number of bolts you used to lengthen your frame is quite adequate. You don't want the bumper assembly ripping off the truck when using your 18000 lb winch in a situation where you are stuck to the floor boards with a load in the back.
Will you be welding and and filling in the seam between the two bumpers to achieve a full smooth face or keep them separated for maintenance or repair purpaces?

infidel got me

If your stuck up to the floorboards and loaded-- you will never have to worry about that winch pulling you out-- cause it wont! Nice work on the bumper, you are the Charlie Daniels of frame drillin'.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The one thing I would think about is the weight on the front axle, a stock winch deuce is close to the weight rating of the front axle/springs.

goldneagle

The one thing I would think about is the weight on the front axle, a stock winch deuce is close to the weight rating of the front axle/springs.
The weight of the winch is not an issue at all. It weighs less than the stock M35 winch would. I'd be more concerned with the weight of all those nuts and bolts and the additional bumper.

rustystud

That front extension looks more stronger then rest of the truck, will you please tell me what did the machine shop charged you for making the inner frame and what kind of steel did you use, I also am planing to extend a frame. Did you also drilled your holes, that's a lot of holes, how long did it take and how many bits did you brake/used???
It was made from regular mild steel bent on a mandrel press so it would have the same radius as the truck frame. It was 1/4" thick by 18" long. I only needed one drill bit. I worked at a machine fabrication shop for 10 years so I know how to drill steel. It took me the better part of a day to drill all the holes in the plates and frame.

rustystud

That looks wicked Rusty!!
The double bumper would definately keep you in the laws books for clearance issues. You could lift your rig 8 inches and use 1600 series tires and most likely be still legal.
Since most tend to agree it isn't a good idea to weld the frame on our trucks I would say that the number of bolts you used to lengthen your frame is quite adequate. You don't want the bumper assembly ripping off the truck when using your 18000 lb winch in a situation where you are stuck to the floor boards with a load in the back.
Will you be welding and and filling in the seam between the two bumpers to achieve a full smooth face or keep them separated for maintenance or repair purpaces?

I had originally planned to weld the two bumpers together, but after a dry run of fitting everything together I decided against it. I could barely lift all the individual parts ! I paid dearly for what I did lift that night !
I will be welding on some "D" rings I bought for attaching "snatch" blocks though.

rustystud

If your stuck up to the floorboards and loaded-- you will never have to worry about that winch pulling you out-- cause it wont! Nice work on the bumper, you are the Charlie Daniels of frame drillin'.
Actually this winch will be able to do just about anything I need it to do. I was in "Tanks" in the Marines and they taught us how to get out of almost any situation. In fact one of the courses required for graduating was "Advanced Rigging and Retrieval" . At one point they would take us and our M60 tank (which weighs in at 60 tons ) into a OPEN field that was nothing but a bog. There we where told to drive our tank until we couldn't. At this point your tank is sunk to the top of the tracks ( about 4.5 ft ) .We got it out without a winch. Later on in civilian life, my best friend bought a 5 ton dump truck. It had to be moved from a field in winter here which means mud. The owner had sold his land and needed all his vehicles gone so he sold the dump truck for $200.00 . It hadn't run in two years and the tires where all flat. We needed to move it 400ft to get a heavy haul trailer near it. I had just bought a 1979 IHC Scout with winch and said I could do it. It took 5 hours and 4 snatch blocks and about 100ft of 3/8" chain, but we did it. That truck weighed as much or more then our deuce does and all it's tires where flat and there was over a foot of mud. I only had a 8,000 Ibs Warn winch to pull it out. If you know what your doing and have the necessary tools ( snatch blocks, chains etc.) you can do amazing things. I always carry over 100ft of 3/8" chain in buckets and snatch blocks with me in my M1034 and in my deuce. So I don't see a problem getting stuck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks