Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Electrical soldering/connections basics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V8srfun View Post
    As long as you make a good connection with good conductivity and properly seal it from the elements you will be fine.
    Solder in my opinion is the best way to make a connection but often times is less convenient. We tend to do what is easier
    There are some applications where solder is a poor choice. For example, most of the heavy gage wiring on the deuce is a nice, ultra flexible stranded wire. If you were to make a soldered connection on this wire, it would be easy to apply too much solder and have it "wick" up in the wire. This would cause a stiff section to each side of your connection. If you were to do this on a wire that is going from the engine to the frame, the lost flexibility and the fatigue from vibration might cause a soldered connection to fail sooner than a good crimped connection.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daytonatrbo For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (02-12-2016), MarcusOReallyus (03-13-2016)

Thanks

Default Electrical soldering/connections basics.

While I agree 100% that soldering is preferred over solder less connectors, I've used self sealing butt connectors to repair simple things such as a new light socket pigtails with great success.

As mentioned before it comes down to the quality of the crimp. Don't use the crappy crimped built into the wire strippers instead invest in a dedicated crimping tool.
    1985 M1009 K5

Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,674 Posts

85CUCVtom, Truer words were never said. Proper tools and practice. Gives you a perfect crimp every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to argue your point here.

I think the fact that solder isn't used in residential or commercial wiring has WAY more to due with practicality and feasibility than anything else.

You are commonly joining multiple 14ga, 12ga, or larger solid copper wires. Which is fine, but that would take a substantial iron in many cases.

Then you have to do so at dozens, or more likely hundreds, of locations throughout even a modest house. Many of which are up on ceilings, high on walls, etc. You would need a big, battery powered (portable) or butane powered iron, and it would just be miserable work. Sweating pipe with a torch is similarly miserable, but at least the torch is portable and has the BTUs needed.

MOST of the cases of residential wiring I've seen overheating due to overload were simply because somebody replaced a fuse or breaker with one that was not sized appropriately to the conductors.

The majority of cases I've seen of residential electrical fires and near-fires were due to poor connections. Namely, the push-in terminals on many residential switches and outlets. If it were up to me, they would be outlawed. The little "blade" inside the terminal wears into the much softer copper wire over time, and in 5-10 years you have a bad connection that is heating, arcing, and sparking.

A good solder joint at the device would eliminate the majority of electrical faults in residential wiring. But it's not practical.

Edit: After reviewing the NEC, it seems that most of their concern is due to mechanical failure of the joint. Not from heating, but simple mechanical pullout.

I imagine that's in there for a reason. I would bet that at one time solder was used and it was not used correctly so they just outright banned it.

I would imagine you are right. But having seen it go wrong several times here in Germany, I just had to bring it out. I THINK, that the soldered splices that melted (and yes, started fires), were all in barns, and I do not think done by someone who had graduated from electricians school. AND, it was not solid copper wire. Multi strand. I did not get to look at the wires, but read the reports that came later. So yes I agree with what you are saying.

Thanks

It's probably safe to say that both constructed solder joints and crimps can get it done.

One aspect worth pointing out with solder is that it's not as easy to QA the joint when you are finished. It can be hard - for me at least - to gauge penetration of the solder by eye. It's easier to gauge the quality of a non-insulated crimp (which is what all serious standards seem to recommend). The good crimps have witness holes, you can check for gaps and imperfect crimping, and the fold pattern if it's a split crimp. And you can be pretty confident you need to only worry about a strain check in one axis whereas I've seen solder joints that were strong one way but not another due to imperfect penetration of stranded wire.

A talented guy can solder a great joint with cheap tools quickly every time I am sure but a nearly untrained child can churn out high quality crimps all day long with an AF8 crimper. Not for nothing.
    Last edited by aleigh; 02-12-2016 at 19:13.
    M1078, M1082, M101A1, M103A3

KE7MSY - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,022 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 85CUCVtom View Post
    While I agree 100% that soldering is preferred over solder less connectors

Ah, that would explain why many NASA, mil-spec and aerospace applications require crimped connections, rather than soldered.

Quote Originally Posted by 85CUCVtom View Post
    As mentioned before it comes down to the quality of the crimp. Don't use the crappy crimped built into the wire strippers instead invest in a dedicated crimping tool.
    Yep. And 100% of the bum rap that crimped connections get comes from doing it wrong, which includes:

1. Using cheap tools
    2. Using cheap connectors
    3. Using the wrong tool
    4. Not paying attention to the seam's orientation

A properly done crimp provides every bit as good a connection as properly done soldering, and it's easier to learn to do well.
    ---------------------

Non standard parts in CUCV?
    You offend against the pure OEM design!
    Evaluate self! Reflect and repent!

Or... maybe not.

M1028, M101A2

MVPA
    MVPA?
    Thanks

Any one got picks of putting wires into say a trailer plug connection for a deuce?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MVPA
    MVPA?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Any one got picks of putting wires into say a trailer plug connection for a deuce?

Never mind I found it solder cups and you can pull the pins to solder

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4