• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conventional Alternator Bracket for NHC-250, Cummins p/n

74M35A2

Due to the sudden popularity of my 130 amp 24v alternator, I have investigated and found the "civilian" alternator bracket mount for the Cummins 855/NHC-250. It is Cummins p/n 218505. This is the lower mount that bolts to the block via 3 fasteners. This bracket will/should adapt a standard J-180 "short" type alternator to the engine, properly. These are the common Delco clone alternators sold on the internet and by some members/vendors here, and can be had as low as $89. This bracket will/should also fit the J-180 130A unit I also sell. This bracket as new from Cummins is in the $200 price range, but I have found it for about $45-$75 range from used truck parts yards. This bracket also fits the Cummins N14 engine, so that helps to source more of them. A few people have been mounting J-180 short alternators on the J-180 long mount without issue, and they use 2 separate bolts on the mount and a 2" long piece of spacer pipe on the rear most leg to take up the room. Don't just use a long single bolt with no spacer to put a J-180 short onto a J-180 long bracket, as if you tighten it you will pull both alternator ears together and snap one off. Visualize what will be tightening against what before you spin wrenches, if adapting to "incorrect" bracketry. If you have the 6CTA8.3 engine, here is this info suited to you: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...quot-Conventional-quot-Alternator-Bracket-P-N

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

I saw TM America is fabbing alternator brackets for various engines. Not sure if can be purchased separately. Work looked good in the "What Do You Build?" section.

74M35A2

On a 250 engine, the top bracket is just a brace or strut. Exactly the same piece is used. On an 8.3 engine, this is just flipped over, as the alternator is clocked 180 degrees from the 250 position, so, on an 8.3, the top mount changes and the bottom mount is just a brace to the single alternator mounting ear.

74M35A2

Thanks and you're welcome. I hope it to be useful to all. I personally don't think this particular post is valid enough to be a sticky. But, if the board wants, I can combine all of the alternator and bracket info into one single post and then (they) make that a sticky. I have published all of this info about the board, but it is across several threads right now. I would do a single write up concerning the measured output and weakness of the stock 60 amp alternator, the differences between J-180 short and long mounting styles, the factory part numbers, cost, and alternate sources to acquire commercial alternator bracketry for 6CTA8.3, NHC-250, and LDT/S engines, description of each terminal found on todays alternators (most are optional), some photos of how users have adapted conventional and dual alternators, and a general clarification of civilian commercial alternators which are available at reasonable cost, including the $100 Chinese Delco clones that many are referring to as Delco's (which are not).

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I and others would appreciate the info as it has been very informative if you would put it together as some us old gremlins suck at search....

I was able to score a used bracket for $45 plus ride in Tx from a truck wrecking yard with the info you provided. My alt has already taken one dump in 4 years so I know it just a question of when. Now I have a large part of the puzzle to upgrade when the times comes.

Thanks!

74M35A2

There is a lot of great knowledge and people here, so I am happy to contribute at least something. The alternator I sell is pricy but top notch. For lower cost, I'd recommend somebody to buy a used but genuine 24V Delco Remy off eBay. Put a new regulator in it, hit the commutator slip rings with a Scotch Bright pad, pull the front and rear bearing seals out and wipe a finger full of new grease in em', and it should go at least 100,000 miles.

74M35A2

Any genuine Delco Remy alternator will have their name cast into the rear housing. A Chinese one will not have this, it will simply have no name cast into the back side of the rear housing.

Estimated cost for a genuine new Delco Remy 24v J-180 short alternator from a distributor would be in the $275 range. Used on eBay and from used parts yards can be had in the $45 range. It will not be as high tech or have the same longevity as a Denso or Mitsubishi, but it will be ahead of the Chinese clone.

Plane Fast

Any genuine Delco Remy alternator will have their name cast into the rear housing. A Chinese one will not have this, it will simply have no name cast into the back side of the rear housing.

Estimated cost for a genuine new Delco Remy 24v J-180 short alternator from a distributor would be in the $275 range. Used on eBay and from used parts yards can be had in the $45 range. It will not be as high tech or have the same longevity as a Denso or Mitsubishi, but it will be ahead of the Chinese clone.
Sorry. I forgot this was started as a NHC 250 thread. Is the one for the 8.3 the same?(But with a different bracket)
I guess you have the Mitsubishi on the 8.3?

elkhtr

Thanks and you're welcome. I hope it to be useful to all. I personally don't think this particular post is valid enough to be a sticky. But, if the board wants, I can combine all of the alternator and bracket info into one single post and then (they) make that a sticky. I have published all of this info about the board, but it is across several threads right now. I would do a single write up concerning the measured output and weakness of the stock 60 amp alternator, the differences between J-180 short and long mounting styles, the factory part numbers, cost, and alternate sources to acquire commercial alternator bracketry for 6CTA8.3, NHC-250, and LDT/S engines, description of each terminal found on todays alternators (most are optional), some photos of how users have adapted conventional and dual alternators, and a general clarification of civilian commercial alternators which are available at reasonable cost, including the $100 Chinese Delco clones that many are referring to as Delco's (which are not).
What I meant was having it added to the five ton parts sticky that already exists.:)

74M35A2

Just got a report in that the p/n I have posted here for the civilian alternator bracket for the Cummins 250 (855) engine is a no-fit situation. My sources may be incorrect. Can anybody else confirm this either way? Thanks in advance, I want to take down or correct errant data if so.

Stranger

Just got a report in that the p/n I have posted here for the civilian alternator bracket for the Cummins 250 (855) engine is a no-fit situation. My sources may be incorrect. Can anybody else confirm this either way? Thanks in advance, I want to take down or correct errant data if so.
I can confirm that Cummins part #218505 (alternator bracket) DOES NOT FIT the M939 equipped with the NHC250. It is not a drop in part and would require significant machining to match the OEM bolt holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks