• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer to haul a M1008

WhiskeyDelta

Anyone near Fort Walton FL. have a trailer capable of hauling a m1008?

Just purchased mine in north Georgia and want to get it home Friday.

All the rental companies have turned me down either because of weight or the fact I'm driving out of state.
Any other options for getting it home?

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you considered a tow bar? It will require decent tires on the CUCV. How far north in GA?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight or the towing vehicle? Many times they will not rent unless you have a big enough truck, i.e.. 3/4 or 1ton.

Get the largest U-haul trailer and the M1008 will fit with 4-6 inches to spare, I would double strap it on the front and back axles.
I recovered my M1008 this way and all was AOK, double strap it.

Good Luck!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you get your M1008 weighed? If I remember correctly, mine came to just under 5200# and the trailers are rated for 5290#.
Also, remember that their largest trailers are not everywhere, I had to put an order in for one several days before I needed it.

If you do not feel comfortable with trailering, go with Recovery4x4 suggestion in using a tow bar.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thousands of miles towing CUCVs between 55-60. They are very friendly to the flat tow. Need to unlock hubs and steering wheel lock. I prefer to remove rear axle shafts, others do not. Since I have block off plates and an impact, it's a 5 minute job and I don't have to lay under the truck. How far north in GA are you going?

UNIMOG-GUY

I have also towed several CUCV's long distances and would recommend that you remove the rear driveshaft as well. Also make sure you have some safety chains hooked up like in AMGeneral's pics. And don't forget the tow lights to put on the CUCV's back bumper/tailgate/bedsides. There are numerous threads on tow baring a CUCV on this site be sure to read them before you go.

Chevybrit

"Since I have block off plates and an impact, it's a 5 minute job and I don't have to lay under the truck."

An old thread I know but i wondered if someone could explain what these are?? (obviously not the impact)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
"Since I have block off plates and an impact, it's a 5 minute job and I don't have to lay under the truck."

An old thread I know but i wondered if someone could explain what these are?? (obviously not the impact)
I'm guessing those are covers to bolt on in place of the rear axle shafts.

truck1

Block off plates are used to cover the axle tubes in the differential housing so no oil leaks out. Some people use cut axle stubs or make steel plate the same dimensions and bolt hole placement as the axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks