• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military golight/spotlight painting: white -> flat black

Maverick1701

I have noticed that used white golights are usually cheaper and more common on ebay. If you want to save some money vs buying a new black model for your MV/Jeep/etc...there is hope!!!

Several years ago I scored a killer deal on a new golight from west-marine (had some gift cards). Unfortunately they were sold of black...so I ended up with a white model. I ran it for several years on my black work truck (first an expedition then a patrol tahoe).
Well our new rigs will be here friday. I did not want to have a black truck, black headache rack, black tool box, and a big white golight on top. I decided to tear it apart and get it painted up.

So if you decide to jump on a cheaper and more readily available white golight, there is hope!!! The process was easy & simple...don't be scared. I broke down the light into its individual pieces, cleaned them up using soap and an old toothbrush (I had quite a time breaking up 6 years worth of west tx dirt/sand).

I ran three coats of rustoleum flat black enamel. It turned out GREAT!. I can't wait to see how it looks mounted on my new patrol pickup.

picture 1: all the pieces all cleaned (mostly) and ready for paint

picture 2: all painted up

picture 3/4: reassembled and looking fine!

Sight_2016_02_09_195329_367.jpg
Sight_2016_02_10_204747_470.jpg
Sight_2016_02_10_205506_661.jpg
Sight_2016_02_10_205500_984.jpg

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great now, but how well will the paint hold up? Is the housing plastic? I can't get spray paint to stick to plastic very well at all.

Maverick1701

Nice job. I guess you wished you'd done that 6 years ago!
hahaha yea. Back then I was not as confident in tearing down & rebuilding my toys.

Looks great now, but how well will the paint hold up? Is the housing plastic? I can't get spray paint to stick to plastic very well at all.
Yes, the housing is plastic. I have had good luck with this paint on my plastic motorbike fairings.
I don't see how my end results would be any different on this plastic (both are exposed to sunlight, high-speed wind, dirt, bug impacts, etc). I used an enamel for the extra strength...hopefully it will hold up against the wear/tear. I will report as time goes on. Our new rides will be here tomorrow...I can't wait.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustoleum and Krylon make a plastic primer spray that works good.

I used something similar, but forget which brand, to paint some outside plastic pipe about 10 years ago and it still looks good and won't scratch or peel off..

They've come a long way baby with paints!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know what brand and type of paint is holding well on plastic. I've tried various primers and paints, I just haven't found anything durable on HDPE or PVC. What's the report on this light?

aleigh

I've found the secret to painting plastic is an adhesion promoter primer as sold by auto paint places. Learned this painting vehicles. I like Bulldog but I suppose any of them will work. Figure they paint plastic body panels all the time and the paint stays on right, even on flexible parts - this is how.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks