• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valence's 1960 Pioneer Tool Trailer

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I bought the larger bodied Pioneer Tool trailer, I had a tough time deciding which one to keep - if any. I did want to keep both, and I probably would have if I had a large building to store them inside (but I certainly wasn't going to rent a place to do that). The pro's, cons, and condition of either trailer kept bouncing back in forth in my head. For over a month I let both sit in my driveway. I knew I still wanted a pioneer tool trailer, but I was not sure which I would really rather have or use (again, if any). I could also see the negatives of even having a trailer both on and off road (more weight, more difficulty maneuvering, more cost and registration fees etc).

I hesitate to post the following, but to not do to so would be a lie and over simplification of my reasoning and internal struggle. I just couldn't make my mind up which to keep and/or use and it was frustrating me and causing me undo stress and confusion for no real good reason. So I prayed to God which one, if any I should keep. I believe the proper way is to make my own mind up first and ask if my choice was right, but I just couldn't this time. Maybe it's just me being too materialistic, but I believe our Heavenly Father cares about what we care about, regardless what it is, as a perfect Father would. So I put them both up for sale and left it to Him that the right one or both would sell to the correct new owner(s) and if I should keep one I'd be left with the proper one.

After a time, I had one interested fellow come look at the large bodied pioneer tool trailer, he loved the shape, but decided it was too heavy for his TJ Jeep.

Well, this poor thread is full of irony. In 2016 when I bought the smaller bodied trailer, I commented how I "saved" it from being heavily modified as a Boy Scout troop trailer. A fellow from South Jordan called and came by and was interested in the small bodied trailer, he hadn't even seen the large bodied one in the classifieds. I indicated both were for sale and pointed out the main differences between the two (how the gull-wing doors opened and latched, rear-door differences etc) but his interest remained on the smaller bodied one. He was on the board for a Boy Scout troop in his area and a while ago they had had their trailer stolen and all that was in it. Besides other modifications, he planned to put a different axle on the trailer and we agreed on a lower price if I swapped my poorer condition tires onto the smaller bodied trailer.

While moving the tires the next evening, I could tell that my confusion on which trailer to keep was due to my attachment to the smaller bodied trailer, but while needing rust repair, the better trailer was the newer 1976 larger bodied trailer. It's frame is less rusty, its floor is straighter, its hand brakes in a better location, its interior larger, and the rear doors open up wider for better access and will seal better.

So I suppose the project remains, but a little different.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Note, the pictured tires were actually from my M101A1 trailer and were sold on the small bodied 1960 Pioneer Tool trailer)

IMG_1538.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1544.jpg IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1555.jpg IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1564.jpg IMG_1565.jpg IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1558.jpg IMG_1545.jpg IMG_1548.jpg

I was thinking, as I tried to repair the rust I could get valuable practice welding because I don't require the trailer to look perfect.

Question: For all y'all, I suppose its still no "sin" against the MV collector world to also cut off all the tool mounting items inside this trailer (just like I did with the last small bodied trailer)? Even if I don't make it into the "kitchen" trailer, at the minimum I would think it would be worlds more useful without the miscellaneous bracketry in the way. I've seen few people restore a pioneer tool trailer to military specification (especially with said spec still listed as "restricted").

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you want a "trailer queen trailer", then take it back to original and always looking for the last 2 or 3 things to complete the set. If you want a great usable trailer than have at it. I have seen them turned into Exp kitchens, dog tag vending kiosk, meat smokers, 2 person campers and a couple put back to original. It is your trailer, now if it was JFK's Limo and you were going to make a El Cameo out of it, then I would have more to say on the matter!
I say "trailer queen trailer" as I have known folks who have rebuilt a trailer back to better than NOS and move them on trailers as to not and get the tires scuffed. I, right now have 2 restored military 250 & 650 motorcycles that now live on and are displayed on a trailer that way I can show both versions. Plus I also have two others that go on the ground and get ridden at events but are inside van that pulls the trailer on the way to them.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a "trailer queen trailer", then take it back to original and always looking for the last 2 or 3 things to complete the set. If you want a great usable trailer than have at it. I have seen them turned into Exp kitchens, dog tag vending kiosk, meat smokers, 2 person campers and a couple put back original. It is your trailer, now if it was JFK's Limo and you were going to make a El Cameo out of it, then I would have more to say on the matter!
I say "trailer queen trailer" as I have known folks who have rebuilt a trailer back to better than NOS and move them on trailers as to not and get the tires scuffed. I, right now have 2 restored military 250 & 650 motorcycles that now live on and are displayed on a trailer that way I can show both versions. Plus I also have two that go on the ground and get ridden at events but are inside van on the way to them.
Great perspective. Thank you.

You're right, there's nothing making the trailer unique or more special over another Pioneer Tool trailer that would warrant a "proper" period or any type of specific restoration.

Last edited:

mkrusi

I know this is an old thread but any update on the trailer or what has become of it now? Also this thread is great. I recently bought the newer version pioneer tool trailer and learned alot from this thread

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but any update on the trailer or what has become of it now? Also this thread is great. I recently bought the newer version pioneer tool trailer and learned alot from this thread
Hey mkrusi!

I apologize, I've been fairly absent of late. I haven't done a single thing with the trailer except keep it covered in my driveway. I want to put this long bodied Pioneer Tool trailer body on the frame of an M101A3. I was hoping to find an M101A3 cargo trailer (or just the frame) for sale locally. I have been fairly resistant to asking on here and then paying for shipping charges... except I've only seen one other M101A3 trailer and the fellow wanted too much for his very abused and literally shot-up trailer (that he was sure had seen actual combat and not just someone shooting at it as it sat in a field...). I mean, I have found an M101A3 but I kept it intact as a replacement to my M101A1 (which I then sold). :whistle:

I suppose I have purchased some 2-1/2" rubber coated nylon tape that I hope two layers of which will make a very good, and much more flexible, replacement rubber hinge for the gull-wing doors.

Source:
http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/rubber-belting-2-rolls/

2019-04-24 23.53.59.jpg

(Yes, I have started to document my gear sources with NSNs and etc like this in a book and a binder. Clinto's OCD is rubbing off ;)

Last edited:

mkrusi

Hey mkrusi!

I apologize, I've been fairly absent of late. I haven't done a single thing with the trailer except keep it covered in my driveway. I want to put this long bodied Pioneer Tool trailer body on the frame of an M101A3. I was hoping to find an M101A3 cargo trailer (or just the frame) for sale locally. I having been fairly resistant to asking on here and then paying for shipping charges... except I've only seen one M101A3 trailer and the fellow wanted too much for his very abused and literally shot-up trailer (that he was sure had seen actual combat and not just someone shooting at it as it sat in a field...). I mean, I have found an M101A3 but I kept it intact as a replacement to my M101A1 (which I then sold). :whistle:

I suppose I have purchased some 2-1/2" rubber coated nylon tape that I hope two layers of which will make a very good, and much more flexible, replacement rubber hinge for the gull-wing doors.

Source:
http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/rubber-belting-2-rolls/

View attachment 774394

(Yes, I have started to document my gear sources with NSNs and etc like this in a book and a binder. Clinto's OCD is rubbing off ;)
Thanks for the idea on the rubber hinge. I bet that stuff will work well. Glad you still have your trailer. You put quite a bit of work into it.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly, I didn't really do anything with Mr. Pioneer Tool Trailer here. Priorities changed drastically in the last 3+ years with large property improvements and diversions of money to other goals. Then this winter I acquired too many trailers. I don’t want to be that guy to let a project rot away to ruin while saying “someday”, so I said goodbye to this Pioneer Tool Trailer friend today.

Sad day.

1646179755194.png

The new owner indicated that he was going to use it for shooting. He didn't go into detail but that he wanted to have it be ready to go instead of always loading up and unloading his truck. I assume to have his different bench rests, tables, mats, cases, brass collectors and etc handily stored. A cool idea. I hope he does his project and is satisfied with his purchase.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks