• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run flats

TwoStates

I have a few hmmwv tire questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is there any way to tell if hmmwv tires have runflats installed in them?

2) Are the beadlocks used instead of the runflats or in addition to them?

3) With the two part wheels, is it as simple as deflating the tire, removing the 12 bolts and removing the wheel pieces (when installing a new tire)?

4) What kind of tires are commercially available in a mud terrain that fit the hmmwv wheels?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DatGuyC

1) not from the outside that I know of

2) the beadlock/runflat are one piece

3) Pretty much. When you put them back together you have to watch the oring that seals the two halves together so that it doesnt get pinched. If you have the late model 12 bolt wheels then they have an extra hole that needs to be lined up so the halves are centered with each other.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4) What kind of tires are commercially available in a mud terrain that fit the hmmwv wheels?

Thanks!
pretty much only 37" Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. the HMMWV rims are 16.5"... trying to find tires in those sizes... is a pain. I converted my M880 to 16" since the only things I could find that weren't HMMWV tires were some Firestone Transforce that didn't look like you could get traction out of a puddle.

TwoStates

2) the beadlock/runflat are one piece
When referring to the beadlock, I am referring to PAOZZ 2530013382730 34623 12342639 .BEADLOCK,TIRE RIM USE WITH RADIAL 1
TIRE ONLY AND RIM P/N 12342642. The question is can this beadlock be used with radials in lieu of the runflats? It seems to me (although I have not tried it), that it would be quite easy to change a wheel and tire if one is not messing with the runflats. Although I want it to be safe at highway speeds. Is this correct?

DatGuyC

When referring to the beadlock, I am referring to PAOZZ 2530013382730 34623 12342639 .BEADLOCK,TIRE RIM USE WITH RADIAL 1
TIRE ONLY AND RIM P/N 12342642. The question is can this beadlock be used with radials in lieu of the runflats? It seems to me (although I have not tried it), that it would be quite easy to change a wheel and tire if one is not messing with the runflats. Although I want it to be safe at highway speeds. Is this correct?
Those pieces arent wide enough to span the full inside of the wheel, they are only half.

UNIMOG-GUY

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/H1-Hummer-Wheels/
Read up....

I know Interco, Goodyear Wrangler MT or the MT/R and Pitbull offer tires for the HMMWV rims there may be some others but those are the ones that I am positive that have several different tires and sizes to fit.

Is there a similar pice that is used in lieu of the run flats with radials?
There is a piece that you can substitute in for the runflat which provides an inner bead lock. It is listed here:
http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Hummer-Wheel-PVC-Insert.html

A couple of my buddies cut the rubber run flat down to be able to run the tires at a 0-2psi pressure for crawling.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ClarkeF

I have a few hmmwv tire questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is there any way to tell if hmmwv tires have runflats installed in them?

2) Are the beadlocks used instead of the runflats or in addition to them?

3) With the two part wheels, is it as simple as deflating the tire, removing the 12 bolts and removing the wheel pieces (when installing a new tire)?

Thanks!
1) unless you got assembled wheels from someplace else, every HMMWV wheel/tire will have beadlock/ru flats. The HMMWV wheels can't be assembled safely without them. Assuming 12 or 24 bolt wheels, and not early 8-bolt bias ply, the assembled wheel/tire weight should be about 150 lbs. if they weigh only around 100, then the internal rubber beadlock/run flat is missing.

2) the default internal piece is a combo beadlock/run flat. Both inner and outer beads are locked plus raised runflat. The wheels are not safe to operate without at least the beadlock as there is no bead safety retention on the two-piece wheels. Hutchinson (the manufacturer) did offer a 16.5" beadlock only option for the HMMWV wheels but I have never seen one in a govt issued truck. There are aftermarket beadlock options (typically cutdown PVC) that you can find if you search the web.

3) Nope. Deflate the tire, unbolt the wheels, pry outer half off, remove o-ring, press out inner half from beadlock/runflat. That gets you a tire/runflat. You then need to remove the runflat from the tire - easily done with a couple straps the secure the tire less the runflat to a secure object (tree, another truck) and a tug on a strap around only the runflat. Now you have two wheel parts, a used o-ring which might work again but better off getting a new one, a tire and a runflat and lots of nuts. You should also have runflat lubricant on the inside surface of your old tire. Transfer that to the inside surface of your new tire or buy a tube of the runflat lube to use in new tire. (The lube is required to reduce rubber to rubber frictions when driving on the runflat so the tire doesn't catch on fire). Put new tire on ground.. Using a runflat compression tool or really big straps you turn the round ru flat into a something that looks like an 8 - the strap across the middle. That gets you to a shape that can be inserted into the new tire with a lot of effort and prybars. Remove the runflat compression tool (or very carefully release the big straps that are under a huge amount of pressure). Insert tire/beadlock over inner rain, insert o-ring, put outer rim on - squish down enough to be able to get the nuts on. Evenly torque down the nuts to spec - 25 lbs first then I think it's 75lbs second pass - check the TM.

4). The 37x12.5x16.5 is a weird size for tires these days. There are less choices than most sizes. Used to be the super-swamped was the tire everyone liked for mud on their Hummer. Search around - your choices will be limited.

beehumvee

Hi,

I have some doubts regarding the runflats system tires on humvees that after research in old post I didnt found an answer:

¿could any tire (matching measures obiously) be mounted with the runflat or it needs to be a special one?

I case of punch of a run flat tire, can the tire be repaired as a usual tire??

thanks

country

Supporting Vendor
The 3 piece run flat is a fairly easy system to use. I am not sure if these double as bead lock

We have mounted wheels/tires with run flats already in them- as it seems nice to avoid the labor

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have access to a strong fluoroscopy machine you could shoot some X-rays to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks