• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1972 Search & Rescue Pinz

GadgetPhreak

1972 Search & Rescue Pinz

I have been a long time volunteer with Search and Rescue in King County. I belong to King County 4x4 Search & Rescue, King County Explorer Search & Rescue, and am a member of the Washington State Regional Special Vehicles Unit (Snowmobiles, ATVs, Dual Sports, etc.).

Last year I sold the Jeep I had built for SAR use and started looking for a new rig to build. My goal was two-fold, first it had to be able to serve as a vehicle I could use on missions and second I wanted something that would draw attention at the events and parades we participate in frequently (typically providing First Aid and missing child services). Few people realize that SAR is all volunteer based (in Washington state and many others). So drawing people in so you can remind them of key safety protocols when in the wilderness as well as informing them that we are 100% volunteer and non-profit funded by donations is really important, otherwise we cease to exist...

After looking at a lot of options I decided on a Pinzgauer. They are small and capable (good for the tight trails in Washington), have a large capacity for people and gear, and definitely have that attraction factor I was looking for. I shopped for almost a year before I settled on a 1972 710M in San Diego. I fly down to pick it up at the end of the month and will be shipping it home as I will be on a business trip and unable to drive it back due to time constraints.

THE PLAN:
  1. Go through it end to end and replace all fluids and address any maintenance issues found.
  2. Swap out the street tires with something more appropriate for SAR (I'm a big fan of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, but looking at a few other all season options - this will be a purpose built rig so tires only need to be good enough on road to be safe and to get me to/from the mission)
  3. Get a little time behind the wheel to validate my assumptions and make any changes needed to the build plan.
  4. Design a custom box that will drop into the rear (similar to the Ambulance box made for the Pinz - http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=150) that is designed for SAR use (more details in a later post on what I'm thinking for this) and then will be working with VMI Off-road in Washington to build it out of Aluminum to keep it as lightweight as possible - similar to what was done for this rig http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/expedition-vehicle-truck-conversion-2.html

The vehicle:
  • 1972 Pinzgauer 710M
  • 2.7 liter high performance motor with custom cam and forged pistons.
  • This engine makes 130HP! Stinger fuel injection system - customizable
  • New ML Mercedes rotors with 5 aluminum rims with tires (ML & GL Mercedes wheels will fit)
  • 12” Wilwood disc brakes
  • Custom progressive front and rear spring sets
  • New dash with VDO performance gauges
  • Rearview camera system including custom mount
  • Sony radio with JBL speakers
  • 7" GPS, MP3 player, SD card reader and XM radio
  • Two yellow top Optima batteries
  • 24v/12v 60amp. Equalizer/converter
  • 2 HID auxiliary lights, Lightforce made
  • 9500 Mile Marker winch (100ft Kevlar rope)
  • Stainless steel air compressor
  • New body paint (matte sand)
  • New custom top
  • New tail light with reverse light
  • Lightened and balanced inner shaft
  • Expedition Imports side steps
  • New front seats with custom brackets (Mastercraft Baja RS - very comfortable)
  • Many miscellaneous upgrades as well...

And finally some pictures of the rig as it sits currently:
1972_1.jpg
1972_2.jpg
1972_3.jpg
1972_5.jpg
1972_6.jpg
1972_7.jpg
1972_10.jpg
1972_11.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, more info to come.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It certainly is cute! They are quite capable offroad, I would love to have one someday. Is it a 12v system?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing I'd do is add some auxiliary lighting, let me know when your ready, I have lots of lights(24v) available.

Guyfang

Staff member
This last june, was in the Alps, not far from Garmisch, (Ohlstadt) . The SAR guys had a call out for some putz that went free climbing on rotten rock. The town where I was staying at had a SAR crew who took off in the middle of the German version of Vets Day Ceremony, in a bright orange Pinzgauer. It was decked out with every tool and bit of SAR gear imaginable, along with 4 guys in the back holding on for dear life. Three hour job, with a Dust Off to get the guy out in the end. I talked to he guys later at the beerfest, they get 15-20 call ups a year. Very professional team!

GadgetPhreak

This last june, was in the Alps, not far from Garmisch, (Ohlstadt) . The SAR guys had a call out for some putz that went free climbing on rotten rock. The town where I was staying at had a SAR crew who took off in the middle of the German version of Vets Day Ceremony, in a bright orange Pinzgauer. It was decked out with every tool and bit of SAR gear imaginable, along with 4 guys in the back holding on for dear life. Three hour job, with a Dust Off to get the guy out in the end. I talked to he guys later at the beerfest, they get 15-20 call ups a year. Very professional team!
Where are the pics

We average 110 or so missions a year in King County. In 2016 we had around 150 (I haven't checked the year end stats yet for exact number).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Sadly, no pics. We had joined up with a party of folks, (about 150) to walk up to the War Memorial, on top of a wonderful hill, above Ohlstadt. The church Service took place around the memorial, as there was not enough room inside the walls. Just about the time the Mass started, the Pinzgauer roared by. The dustoff came in shortly later and dropped off a doctor, then left. Came back later. The whole time this was going on, the Mass was still going on. I would have felt strange taking pictures. I have to look, might have a shot of them coming back. We met them later at the beer fest and stayed for "a while". I left at 22:00 and it was still going on at 03:00. I could hear it from my window.

GadgetPhreak

Sadly, no pics. We had joined up with a party of folks, (about 150) to walk up to the War Memorial, on top of a wonderful hill, above Ohlstadt. The church Service took place around the memorial, as there was not enough room inside the walls. Just about the time the Mass started, the Pinzgauer roared by. The dustoff came in shortly later and dropped off a doctor, then left. Came back later. The whole time this was going on, the Mass was still going on. I would have felt strange taking pictures. I have to look, might have a shot of them coming back. We met them later at the beer fest and stayed for "a while". I left at 22:00 and it was still going on at 03:00. I could hear it from my window.
Yeah, they are not exactly quiet . Cool experience though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Just an added on here, about 25 klicks from my house, is a place that deals in Pinzgauer vehicles. I saw several in an online for sale notice. They are all ex-military rigs. Maybe if the rains will come, and wash off the salt from the roads, I will take my bike down and shoot some pictures.

Tchüss from Franken

Guy

Guyfang

Staff member
PINZ001.jpgPINZ002.jpgPINZ003.jpgPINZ004.jpgPINZ005.jpgPINZ007.jpgPINZ006.jpgPIZ008.jpgPINZ009.jpgPINZ010.jpg

As promised, I ran down to Untersteinach, and took a few pictures. The company is a bus Company. They buy, sell, trade, rent and service company. The dude must own at least 3/4 of town. He has 190+ BIG busses. He bought three Pinzgauers a few years back. Can't seem to sell them I guess, so he parks them in the "Museum". As you can see from the pictures, he has a few other gems. There are about 25 busses in the "museum". All at least 40-60 years old. Most are restored. Trailers to go with them.

rsms

Guyfang........Any idea what make or model the last bus is? At 1st glance it kinda looked like a 21 window VW but it's definitely not.

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, I even looked. But my mind is blank. I dont think its a Sentra, but I am just drawing a blank. The next time I get over that way, I will see if the "Museum" is open. The guy has at least 5 huge buildings he bought up from companies that went bust. This building was a furniture factory. It's huge. You could play a game of football in there, and have room left over. I promise I will go by every now and then until I can get in again.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks