• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering pump part#? 87' HMMWV with 6.2 non turbo

cucvmule

collector of stuff
It was brought to my attention that the TM calls for transmission fluid in the hydro-vac system of the HMMWV. I was not aware of that and should not have stated that PS fluid is used.

This can and will be debated for obvious reasons.

However there is a difference in that PS fluid is a higher temperature, higher pressure operating fluid. ATF can be used but breaks down faster from higher temperatures and higher pressures. The ATF in those systems need to be changed on an earlier schedule. With no cooling being done the fluid does not have the endurance that PS fluid has.

Civilian trucks with the same system use PS fluid stated in the manual and shop manuals. The hydro-vac system takes a lot of abuse, and on civi equipment it also has a secondary reservoir that is mounted above and hosed to the PS pump for added cooling capacity.

If the military pumps are different and have a mechanical need for a friction modifier additive then so be it. But for economy of one less maintenance fluid to have and use ATF instead, then there is the reason also.

I used ATF at a point in K30 1 tons, hydro-vac that I have owned and from 82 on, was having pump problems that I kept having to replace. I went back to PS fluid and have not had a problem since. 15 plus years on current one and by going back to PS fluid. My experience and my equipment used for work and extra activities.

Use ATF if that is what is called out to use in TM. But change like an oil change, set a service time or mileage from your experience. Or now that the equipment is more civilian used change over to PS fluid and extend the life of the fluid change. I would add the extra reservoir anyway to help the system keep cooler. I acquired one at the salvage yard last week that I will put on my CUCV.

Good Luck with your options and I would like to hear some other input from other HMMWV owners that they may have adopted or changed the system in some fashion.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most Hmmwv's have the P/S coolers installed, and the Late A2 trucks have a separate reservoir .

Chief B

Is there a secret to getting the pulley off of the power steering pump? Even with a pulley puller I have been unable to get it to even budge.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a secret to getting the pulley off of the power steering pump? Even with a pulley puller I have been unable to get it to even budge.
There is a specific tool that is used not a generic pulley puller. Autozone & o reilly have it in their loaner tools. It is a press fit. There is also a power stg pulley install tool that threads into the center shaft.

Chief B

There is a specific tool that is used not a generic pulley puller. Autozone & o reilly have it in their loaner tools. It is a press fit. There is also a power stg pulley install tool that threads into the center shaft.
Thank you so much ... turns out I was using the right puller, but simply needed to use an impact wrench with it. Still needed to rent the other tool for pressing it back on though. Got it changed out now just need to flush the system and try to fix my leak at the fan clutch before putting it back on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks