• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering pump part#? 87' HMMWV with 6.2 non turbo

DSO_351

The pump assembly was revised a couple times. The element (pump) is available as a kit from Napa & others. The housing, tank or reservoir will need to be reused since it is specific to M998.

DWagg

Thanks Ya'll! I ended up taking DSO_351's advise. I removed the pump from the reservoir, if you've never done this before use a 6 point socket & remove the 2 shallow stud bolts & the 1 fitting on the back, then knock the pump out, hit on the pump not the reservoir. Once the stud bolts & fitting are removed its just an oring that's holding the pump in there. Humvee HMMWV power steering pump is Napa part# is 81-1411 it only costs $42.99
I just couldn't see myself paying $250+, for a $50 pump.

NormB

Thanks Ya'll! I ended up taking DSO_351's advise. I removed the pump from the reservoir, if you've never done this before use a 6 point socket & remove the 2 shallow stud bolts & the 1 fitting on the back, then knock the pump out, hit on the pump not the reservoir. Once the stud bolts & fitting are removed its just an oring that's holding the pump in there. Humvee HMMWV power steering pump is Napa part# is [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]81-1411[/FONT]it only costs $42.99
I just couldn't see myself paying $250+, for a $50 pump.
How's this holding up for you? Most of the websites I've seen (Kascar, HPG for example) post this warning with their pumps:

IMPORTANT NOTE: GENUINE AM GENERAL. AFTERMARKET POWER STEERING PUMPS WILL NOT APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE FOR THE HUMMER DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF THE HYDROBOOST SETUP AND THE STEERING/BRAKING WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. AM GENERAL USED A SPECIAL POWER STEERING PUMP NOT FOUND IN AFTERMARKET PUMPS.

Thanks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How's this holding up for you? Most of the websites I've seen (Kascar, HPG for example) post this warning with their pumps:

IMPORTANT NOTE: GENUINE AM GENERAL. AFTERMARKET POWER STEERING PUMPS WILL NOT APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE FOR THE HUMMER DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF THE HYDROBOOST SETUP AND THE STEERING/BRAKING WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. AM GENERAL USED A SPECIAL POWER STEERING PUMP NOT FOUND IN AFTERMARKET PUMPS.

Thanks.
Lies.... Lol
It's a gm pump
Not the first time I've heard an automotive supplier imply that parts are superior to others based on magical pixie dust.

;)

T

3000gt

Well my napa pump didn't hold up to my hydraulic winch. From what I understand, the vanes in the pump are a little different in he oem pump

Gear Report

Well my napa pump didn't hold up to my hydraulic winch. From what I understand, the vanes in the pump are a little different in he oem pump
Same here. I got a replacement pump from o'reilly and put it in the original military housing. Fit fine. Works great for steering and brakes, but not enough umph to pull much of anything with the winch.
If you have a hydraulic winch, then do yourself a favor and just get the military PS pump and do it right the first time. Else, you will end up upgrading to one later.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having no issues with my NAPA pump that I swapped onto the military reservoir, etc. I do not have a winch, FYI.
BDGR

David172

I know I am 2 years late to this conversation, but I am going through power steering pumps on my 1991 Hmmwv don't know what to do next. I am on the third pump with two of them being from Advanced auto. Rebuilds I figure. They work fine for 6 months or so, then begin whining, leaking, and then go out. I can't find it leaking anywhere except at the pump housing itself. The lines and cooler seem to be ok as far as leaks. I am ready for the 4th pump in 26 months and would like to buy military OEM for this. Can anyone tell me where to get a NEW military pump? Any other advice or things to check would be appreciated. I am not a mechanic and have a lot to learn. Thanks!

Gear Report

I... I am ready for the 4th pump in 26 months and would like to buy military OEM for this. Can anyone tell me where to get a NEW military pump? Any other advice or things to check would be appreciated. I am not a mechanic and have a lot to learn. Thanks!
My bigger concern is what is killing your pumps!
Sounds like time to thoroughly flush the PS system and look for any clues as to what is killing them. I ran a parts store pump on my m1038 with no issues. So, I suspect it isn't the pumps causing your issues.

David172

My bigger concern is what is killing your pumps!
Sounds like time to thoroughly flush the PS system and look for any clues as to what is killing them. I ran a parts store pump on my m1038 with no issues. So, I suspect it isn't the pumps causing your issues.
I figure you have to be right. It is just logical. I have suctioned the fluid out of the reservoir and replaced it with the Dextron IV automatic transmission fluid a couple of weeks ago. The stuff that came out looked clean and good. I don't know if the shop that installed them before used ATF or normal power steering fluid. Could that be it? It has not solved the loud whining that gets worse the closer to "the end" that I get. I saw on another related post the the lines could be connected in the wrong sequence, but mine does not whine when a new pump is installed so I didn't think that would be the problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’d replace all your piping as a precaution. Make sure it’s high pressure power steering tubing, not fuel or oil tubing. I further recommend using fuel injection style clamps, instead of hose clamps. I’ve had good results with them and they don’t cut into the outer jacket the way Mr Gasket style clamps do.

Can’t say what’s killing your pumps for certain, but I can say I used a NAPA pump and have had zero trouble.

Best of luck tracking down the problem.

Bdgr

David172

I’d replace all your piping as a precaution. Make sure it’s high pressure power steering tubing, not fuel or oil tubing. I further recommend using fuel injection style clamps, instead of hose clamps. I’ve had good results with them and they don’t cut into the outer jacket the way Mr Gasket style clamps do.

Can’t say what’s killing your pumps for certain, but I can say I used a NAPA pump and have had zero trouble.

Best of luck tracking down the problem.

Bdgr
Thanks so much for the good advice. It won't be expensive, eliminates another possible issue, and should make for a more reliable vehicle afterwards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks