• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 air brake issue question

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Swapped just about everything. The schematic makes it a bit easier to deal with. Had to find it on the net I didnt have that TM. Confusing as heck though. I couldnt find a specific flow chart for troubleshooting my issue though. Looking at the schematic I dont think the treadle valve can be my issue though.

TM-9-2320-366-20-51127im.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
So I tried the rear gladhands and they don't work properly. With trailer and brake valve in I don't get service air in the rear when braking. There is a tm troubleshooting action for this issue. Started following the flow chart but ran out of time. I have one more air line to check Monday if air is present then replace tractor valve if not I move on to the inversion valve. Good thing I have parts trucks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a tm flowchart for low rear gladhand flow. I am leaning towards the tractor valve. Which can be rebuilt. I have a spare I would swap in and then play with the old one.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to check the tractor protection valve, before you take the whole thing off, I would check the one rubber diaphragm that is located closest to the crimped on vent cap. There are just 4 screws holding that plate on and you can do that without taking the valve off the truck. On my truck that particular diaphragm was the only bad part, but then again my issue was a little different. I was losing air pressure through that crimped on vent cap when pressing the service brakes. If you take the valve off and decide to rebuild it, in case this helps: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140345-Air-Brake-Info-and-Troubleshooting

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, sorry that sounded confusing. The tractor protection valve itself has one of those crimped on vent caps. It's the same style cap like is crimped on the front gladhand covers. On my truck I was losing air out of that vent cap when applying the brakes. It also helps isolate the air leaks if you let the air pressure build up and then shut the engine off. Have someone apply the brakes while you walk/crawl around listening for the leaks. That's how I found the vent cap issue.

lmtvjunky

I've had the same problem Will, it was a small hole in a diaphram in a check valve up front, took me 2 days to find it and replaced a lot of stuff doing so. Not saying you might have the same issue, just your symptoms are identical to mine. Good luck, I'll help you by spirit *_*

lmtvjunky

I had to take them apart to find the problem, small hole dead center, also there a ton of rust and soot crap in everything, lines valves, etc, these trucks are aging quick when sitting, not to mention anything with air systems have continous moisture issues

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Got it finally!!! 2 air lines under the cab were switched. I compared each line one at a time to a functional truck seeing where each went to and from.

SausageGuy

I just replaced air dryer with a modern one from MME and now mine is doing this exact thing. I don't think that is relevent but made it easier to use truck air to break down a tire.

Alg1288

Hi guys, I have a 2012 m1083a I'm working on wit has the same issue. Would the location of the check valves be different? Been looking near the washer tank and can't seem to find any.

Alg1288

Checked everywhere near the left side where steering box. Can't seem to find it. Could it be that the 2012 configuration is different?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks