• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the bed ?

1951M1078

So how hard or practical is it to remove the bed ? I am looking into building a Expedition truck (ok a oversized 4x4 RV ) and am looking for space in the chassis for storage.

I built a 1/35 scale model and I see some space between the frame rails but the bed would need to be pulled to install things. Things like water tank, gray water tank, other ? Want to keep heavy things low to help the CG. The box will be made as light as I can and it will also be removable (truck bed slide-ins). I want to keep the flatbed ability.

Although, I don't have one yet (working on that) I'm trying to put the idea together on paper.

And what about building a Alum. bed ? What do you think the bed weights ?

And I know it is the wrong truck and its to heavy and it has poor milage ,but I like the way it LOOKS ! And it has the hole "Dakar" thing going on !

Thanks for the help.
Randy

Oski1868

I just pulled mine off ... it is really pretty simple. You have eight or ten "Huck Bolts" (see earlier thread) that need to be cut away. From there it is just removing the straps from the fenders and the tail light boxes and remove the small switch mounted on the front edge of the box. Obviously you will want to have access to a forklift or gantry to lift it off. (I am looking forward to building a dump trailer with the left over box)

bed_off01.jpg

As for the "expedition" part .... I am in the process of doing exactly what you are thinking about. (Indeed she is not a fancy german MOG ... but the price is right and I figured I don't really need 20 gears in reverse!)

Anyway we are extending the frame 3' or so, mounting a 16' aluminum subframe/bed assembly that will act as a platform for the camper box to be built. My plan is to be able to have a system to install and remove the camper box (similar to a regular pickup camper) so I can use the flat bed when not traveling.

As for space between the rails for batteries, tanks etc.... I am building one 24" x 24" x 18" box just aft of the cross bar that connects the forward leaf spring hanger for the rear wheels.

bed_off02.jpg

Originally I was going to mount the house batteries in this space. That changed when I decided to make the camper box self-contained. Apart from using it for tie downs when the box is off, I am not sure how I will use it. One thought is to put a locking lid on it and use it as a safe during travels. Apart from that there is surprisingly little space unless you completely rework the exhaust system. I may still re-route the exhaust pipe to gain the space aft of the battery box for a storage box.

We had Xmas around here yesterday with the arrival of a new Miller Sychrowave 210. My son and I plan to do a good bit of welding on the old girl in the next few weeks! (Look out Mad Max!)

Duckworthe

I used a small for truck that I borrowed from my neighbor to lift the bed off. Gave it to him to make a trailer out of it. I built my camper box and did a storage location in the floor to put my rifles and stuff into. the door opens into the inside. I can't post pics as they are all on the cloud and my phone is broken so I cant retrieve them right now. I also couldn't see letting that space go to waste.

dmetalmiki

It is a relatively easy and straight forward task. I removed the bed and replaced it with a Russian radio body to make a camper on a five ton in a day. I did have the M62 and two fork lifts available in the yard tough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks