• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lincoln Welders

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did the military ever use the SA200 line of welders? I've been given my uncle's welder. (He passed a few years back, Korea vet) While it's a civy unit, I hoped perhaps the military employed them. I have a M105 trailer here I might load it into and make a welding rig. I'm going to restore the welder, but I thought I could in a way restore it and incorporate it into the hobby a bit and pay him some honor all at the same time.

61sleepercab

Not sure about Lincoln SAE200 welders but I restarted a surplus WWII Hobart welder that had sat in a WVU agricultural engine lab for years. The thing fired up and had a fine voltage control on the end of a cable pigtail. It would make sense that a large welding company would make military welders long ago. Mark

AZK9

... I'm going to restore the welder, but I thought I could in a way restore it and incorporate it into the hobby a bit and pay him some honor all at the same time.
I think that would be a perfect way to honor him and his service! [thumbzup]

rustystud

I was the "Landing Support" Company welder and I used a Lincoln Welder. It was an older AC/DC 400amp unit. I'm sorry I cannot remember the model number though. I do remember the cables where 1" thick ! and a royal pain to drag around.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
I'm not sure this counts as more than anecdotal evidence, but my high school metalworking and ag science department exclusively used US Army surplus Lincoln arc welders from the World War II era. They were obtained by the then-incumbent metalshop teacher (who was in his '60s at that time), and that's what he said they were. Last time I checked, that's what they still use. They are still painted that unwholesome '40s Army green, too.

I did not know the model number or anything about them while I was in school (it was the mid-80's), and at the time, as you can well imagine, it really didn't mean anything to me, but I did some googling to find out what they were. It's a very distinctive model.

This is the unit:
http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/equipment/welder5

According to that page, it's an SAE200. Looks just like what we had back at school, so... Maybe?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting what one finds out! I have one of the welders, painted red, pictured in IsaLandr's link right down to the cart and switch box on the front. I always thought someone had made an add-on of that switch but now it appears to be original equipment. Many years ago I used one of these same welders in a metal fab shop I worked at. That is where I learned the difference between an AC and DC welder in how well DC lays down weld! After a time of using the DC when I struck an arc and welded with the AC unit it sounded like something was wrong with the arc. My welder needs attention to the top bearing housing in that it has become loose enough to allow the outer bearing race to slowly rotate during use.
Now that this thread has piqued my interest, I need to look more closely at a couple of other DC welders I have. They are made by GE and are labeled as "Aircraft Welders". One was 440 3 phase drive and the other 220 3 phase drive. I use the 220 drive in my shop but could not use the 440 drive unit. I removed the motor armature from it and adapted the end of the shaft with a Lovejoy coupler to drive it with a 4A032 military engine. The 4A032 can reach the RPM the welder needs and has enough power to drive it at high amperage with no problem. They actually give a more even arc than the one in discussion here.
Does anyone know why they might be called "Aircraft Welders"?
Regards Martin

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paint it green and its all set :)
Sorry, that's not an option. I have to paint it back gray for my cousin. Also there was a number stenciled onto it that I'll put back in place. I could say it's navy gray right?

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, that's not an option. I have to paint it back gray for my cousin. Also there was a number stenciled onto it that I'll put back in place. I could say it's navy gray right?
A navy gray M105 would look interesting, however if you are just putting a welder on it, I would use a M101 trailer since it can safely be towed by a pickup truck.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was talking about the welder only. Lincoln welders were gray. Close to navy gray. The problem with the 101 as the trailer is the fact the welder weighs about 1350-1400lbs dry. Add in fuel, oil, and coolant and you're talking 1500lbs. Add in a set of cutting torch bottles, tools, and all the leads needed, you're going to exceed the 101's rated capacity. Plus I have a M105 trailer here that pretty much isn't used. (I'd have to repair a few things on it though)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a Lincoln gas welder but I don't recall the model number. Looking at pics on the web, I don't think mine is the SA200 as it doesn't have the generator sticking out the back of the enclosure (mine is flush on the end where the controls are).

Only think you have to watch out for on some of the old Lincoln welders is the power outlet will be 110v DC current. Some power tools will run on it but not all. I seem to remember that you can usually run a single speed drill or grinder but not a variable speed. That's older stuff though, I don't know about any of the newer stuff. I know you'd be hard pressed to find a single speed drill these days. I definitely wouldn't want to plug anything into it that had any electronics.

All the old Lincoln gasoline welders did produce a arc quality that was hard to match, even with the newer fancy welders.

Last edited:

MatthewH

You can still buy DC tools, typically the higher quality Milwaukee's are rated for both AC/DC.
At some point the SA series Lincoln's changed, and the enclosure came all the way out to the end of the generator head, so they looked like a box, versus a short box with the generator sticking out

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At some point the SA series Lincoln's changed, and the enclosure came all the way out to the end of the generator head, so they looked like a box, versus a short box with the generator sticking out
That may be what mine is because the Generator head doesn't stick out. I'll have to take a look at the data plate. I know mine does produce AC at the outlet.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the welder is in the shop now, but it's frozen up. It was running last back in 2007 or 2008. I'm guessing since it was sitting outside in a truck for nearly a decade the rings have rusted to the cyl walls. So I've pulled the plugs and sprayed some penetrating oil in the cyl. Didn't have time to do much, sometime in the following days, I'll pull the intake/exhaust manifold and valve cover off to see what I can see. Also going to fill up the cylinders with diesel fuel and just let it soak for a month or two. If it doesn't break free, I'll pull the head off and see what's going on.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I read most of the old SA200's used the same 4 cyl flat head Continental F162/ F163 as my 1957 Ingersoll Rand R125 Gyro flow air compressor. I bored mine .040" and keep a folder with tech stuff. I have a PDF engine repair manual (might be the link below). It can be downloaded free. I can send it via email if necessary. I have another PDF on magneto timing (mine is battery ign) and a few spare parts (not much) that I will never use.

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Continental-Engines/Continental-L-Head-F-163-etc-Overhaul-Manual.pdf

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine must have been rusted up, and probably more than once. I found .040" taper in the STD bore on cyl 4. That is a lot and does not include piston wear. Someone just kept honing it. A new .040 over piston fit at the top of the old cyl. The water clearly came down the exhaust stack then wicked thru the pipe threads at the exhaust manifold. The cyl head was eroded and a few valve seats badly pitted. Interestingly it ran really nice w/ no blow-by but showed signs of metal in the oil, turned out from just very high piston wear. NAPA had the pistons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks