• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a FLU 419!!!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, that's one reason I moved away from the ocean.
But being 10 miles from the nearest village of 1,300, people around here just might figure out it was me no matter what.
Kind of like when a friend of mine was going a bit fast in the village and almost hit a deer. The cop parked on the shoulder didn't go after him as he had expected, but instead his cell phone rang. Yep, it was the cop asking him to slow down.

88FLU419

Finally got it yesterday. Looks really good. Now I just have to get it running. Fuel smells a little funny. Who knows how long this thing has been sitting! 500 miles and 320hrs since 1988.

88FLU419

Yes it does. Working on wiring repair right now. Same critter that chewed wiring under dash on others got to mine also. Not too bad though. Mostly wiring for warning lights, and tach. Could have been worse. Fuel system cleaning

22b

Friend just got one, but is having problem getting it to run. Fuel gets to the pump but won't go to the injectors. Anybody have an idea?

bchauvette

Had the same issue. The pump consists of a cam shaft pushing plungers. The fuel was so old it turned to varnish. The cam pushed the plungers up and they stuck there. I had to remove the IP and have it rebuilt. The injectors also needed rebuilding. I have pictures of my home made injector puller if you need it. You don't necessarily need to tilt the cab I didn't but it would make the job easier.

peakbagger

Two replies to prior postings.

Anyone know if exhaust parts are available for these?
I haven't seen anyone listing them. I grabbed a header pipe off of Ebay awhile back as its quite custom on one end. The other tubing could be bent by custom shop except for the muffler . Expedition Imports has a spark arrestor listed but it may be ghost listing as they don't have it priced.

Fuel system question

I had the same issue with fuel system. I rigged up a gravity boat type temporary fuel tank with squeeze primer bulb and connected it to the fuel line as it leaves the fuel strainer on the frame rail. I then primed the system by loosening the bleed screw on the fuel filter and using the primer pump on the injector as well as the squeeze bulb to pump fuel until there were no bubbles. It started right up and would run off the boat tank quite well. When I switched things back to normal it would run for awhile and loose prime. I didn't find an exact cause but did find loose fuel connections above the fuel tank (they are hidden under the tool box deck until I loosened the tank straps) and also found that there is known issue with Mercedes plastic fuel lines loosening up as they age. I ended up replacing all the fuel lines with proper rated diesel fuel hose or at least putting a short length of split tubing over the Mercedes tubing and then a hose clamp on top of it. There is also technical service bulletin that there is return line coming off the valve cover that can easily get damaged when the engine cover is removed and that hose was possibly damaged. My fuel strainer also may have had a bad or missing gasket. If I had to pick a place to start it would be fuel strainer gasket, then connections on top of the tank and then if that don't work rig up a gravity feed like I did and see if it runs. If it runs with the boat tank then buy some hose, a pile of SS steel hose clamps and bunch or wire ties and start replacing. No need to flip the cab, you can get to everything from the wheel well.

Good luck.

vtwin4christ

In my state (Ohio) my first thought was to register it like any other vehicle. But here is the catch:
1) In Ohio tractors, dirt movers and cranes are "exempt" from plates. There are also some "right of way" laws to protect tractors (less liability).
2) In Ohio we have a new law regarding "fast tractors" that can move up to 55 MPH so long as they have the proper emblem on the rear.
3) In Ohio we have new laws indicating that tractors must have amber flashing lights (to the front) on all extremities of tractor (the flu419 has this with use of hazards).
4) Spoke to high ranking Highway patrol at state capital and here is the outcome.

Results:
1) I never plan on operating the FLU-419 on the expressway, so being labeled a "tractor" is fine for our uses.
2) I would rather have the exemptions and civil liability regarding "right of way" for a "tractor" VS a "truck".
3) Registering it as a "truck" changes the legal classification of the vehicle and opens me up to more liability, being stopped for weight and portable scales, citations for going places that have "no truck" signs, etc.
4) The FLU-419 aka Unimog was manufactured as a "tractor" and the FLU-419 is specifically designed as an excavator AKA dirt mover.

Summary:
We keep ours as a TRACTOR with no tags.
It is insured through State Farm as liability only... Just in case we have an accident. Cost is about 165 bucks every 6 months. (State farm was the ONLY insurance company who would cover the FLU! We tried like 10 of them)
We have a triangle on the rear as well as our fast tractor emblem.
We always operate with hazards on in addition to strobe light bar on roof that is hard wired so it's always on when street service lights are on.
We always operate with high beams in daylight.
We are limited to operation on state routes and lesser roadways. (NO XPRESSWAY)

Operated for 3 years in Ohio. Never stopped. But keep all paper work in cab.
If we ever get cited... We have several legs to stand on in court:
1) We use this as ministry outreach and we are covered by section 1 article 7 of the state Constitution that says that no law shall infringe on our religious beliefs.
2) We have all the paper work declaring a unimog and the FLU-419 as a tractor/dirt mover and it has a PTO. So it shouldn't be an issue convincing a judge.
3) If the copper is a butt head and wants to tow the FLU-419... Then 18USC241 and our religious liberties would come into play. I would be respectful and ask for a supervisor. As violations (or even conspiring to violate someones religious liberty) carries up to a 10 year prison sentence. - So I think we could work through that issue in a man2man discussion. (it's always a touchy area when you enter a testosterone driven (I am right) situation)

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I've always figured that it'd be the easiest to treat the SEE as the tractor it is.
Bought two inexpensive LED strobe lights (less than $20 each) to put over the cab, mounted on small but strong magnets.
Also got a triangle mount for the back, and use the cheap LED worklights (replaced the dismal incandescent stockers) when on the road.
Never have bothered with the flashers since the important pair, the rear, aren't overly visible anyway.

Then again, so far I haven't even installed the strobe lights or triangle a single time, but the cops around here are human.
Besides, the unregistered SEE is far from the strangest contraption I drive down the road on occasion.

peakbagger

Since we cant discuss insurance (per the stickee at the top of the forum), I can say that in NH, I registered mine as construction equipment.

vtwin4christ

State Farm provided me liability for my FLU-419 SEE for about 160 every 6 months. Dirt movers and tractors are exempt in ohio, so I didn't bother getting plates. But I am considering removing attachments to drive around and I can see getting stopped for no plates then. But I have a legal concern if I VOLUNTARILY change the legal status of my vehicle from TRACTOR to TRUCK as then I lose my exempt status and right o way clauses under statute.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see how removing the implements makes it a truck.
Trucks you put cargo on, so unless you also install a bed of some sort it should still be a tractor - which you pull things with.

If you do end up removing the loader and backhoe, please let me know how much fun it was to reinstall them.

painter paul

Does anyone have a pic of a engine cover for the flu419 with the forklift/knuckle boom crane. Mine has the same one as the SEE with the boom and bucket
Instructions on it. Seems like it should have one specifically for the forklift??? Maybe someone replaced mine???

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look and are identical, Paul. Only the decals differ.
The only not-so-obvious difference between the SEE and the HMMH is the push button switch on the far (curl) lever on the HMMH, which when pushed in activates the small cylinder on the right side that rotates the forklift.
I might have a NOS decal...maybe.

EDIT: Intended to post a photo of the HMMH sticker on the doghouse, but they both have a SEE sticker. Never did notice that until now.
Well, at least you're not alone, Paul.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, there are quite a few differences between a SEE and an HMMH.
Anyway, when/if I find my bag of decals, I'll check if there's a HMMH specific one for the doghouse.

EDIT: Found the ad for the decal set, but it's only the loader decal, nothing for the forklift.

Last edited:

akhummer

I'd like to see win that one. You have a right to disregard any law if you can somehow claim its for religious use? That's why some people are repulsed by organized religion. Thank god for Unimogs...but your reasoning is a stretch.

We have several legs to stand on in court:
1) We use this as ministry outreach and we are covered by section 1 article 7 of the state Constitution that says that no law shall infringe on our religious beliefs.
2) We have all the paper work declaring a unimog and the FLU-419 as a tractor/dirt mover and it has a PTO. So it shouldn't be an issue convincing a judge.
3) If the copper is a butt head and wants to tow the FLU-419... Then 18USC241 and our religious liberties would come into play. I would be respectful and ask for a supervisor. As violations (or even conspiring to violate someones religious liberty) carries up to a 10 year prison sentence. - So I think we could work through that issue in a man2man discussion. (it's always a touchy area when you enter a testosterone driven (I am right) situation)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks