• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a FLU 419!!!

peakbagger

Depends on the state, Some states require a title, some allow you to get a title and some allow them to be registered with construction equipment plates. In NH I elected to use construction equipment plates as I don't need an annual inspection. I expect if I did need an inspection it would be difficult to find someone qualified to inspect it

Lordicon

Depends on the state, Some states require a title, some allow you to get a title and some allow them to be registered with construction equipment plates. In NH I elected to use construction equipment plates as I don't need an annual inspection. I expect if I did need an inspection it would be difficult to find someone qualified to inspect it
I too am picking up my "new" see in a few days...... Also in NH. I too reg'd as construction plate...
big question......HOW DA **** DO YOU INSURE IT? Homeowners? Nope, max for tractor is 40 hp, and cant be reged. Called hafferty .... Nope to new.... Only 1986 or before. Called geico and allstate and farmers... Nope, it has back hoe. WTF. Its bad enough getting the loan , bastard bank made me jump through hoops, then demanded the seller get title... Nope. I had to cash out equity .... Really? Origional cost was somewhere around 250,000$ but you dont wanna lend 25,000?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm. Never even thought about insurance since I use them on the property and rarely get out on the roads. Figured they'd fall under the homeowners policy. Might have to look into this.
Still, a SEE doesn't feel very confidence inspiring over 25 mph, and being a low rpm person, 30 mph is plenty for me. And this is from someone who tends to drive most anything too fast, anywhere. Well, not quite true - I do respect speed limits in towns.
The only reason I'm going to put a triangle on the rear is that we're getting a full-time DOT cop in town. In reality, he may not care.
Your results may vary, of course.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had no problem registering the original Unimog platform, the model 406, for road use. Brand is Mercedes, of course, and model 406, type: 'other', when the DMV looked it up. If the label on the SEE tractors says Freightliner, you might have to use that (but we all know who made them, LOL!). Getting a title was no trouble except for one 406 which had been registered in CO as SMM, Special Mobile Machinery. TN state thought that sounded suspiciously like a non-road vehicle but eventually came around when I sent them pictures (without loader or backhoe). Without the implements, a Unimog looks like a truck. Kinda weird truck maybe, but a truck. Maybe there should be a Tonka category.

Historically, it is better to be totally factual about the character of the base vehicle but not bring up the nickname Unimog. There is considerable reading about these issues on http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/

Farmers Insurance covers mine (but I only get collision insurance). You will just have to ask your carriers of choice.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

I registered mine as Antique in PA. I showed the title place the photos and that was a mistake because they started freaking out. I was able to calm them down and point out the state form does not require photos. It sailed through as a 198* Freightliner.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gulf way will insure them but take loader off and backhoe it stands the hair up on their neck.
You won't be driving on road with hoe and loader anyways it can be be done but you won't want to for very long.

88FLU419

Can't get any pictures until it get here. I am hoping maybe the end of next week. It was not running, hopefully it's not too bad. It looked to be all there. Only thing I saw missing was the spare tire.

saddamsnightmare

March 2nd, 2016.

I always liked the SEE, but for any road trips either a stock cargo S404.114/115 or better a Unimog U1300L with ultra high speed axles, as they ride better and are less squirrelly on the road with or without the SEE's loader apparatus. I suspect its the short wheelbase that gives the defrocked SEE their bad temper. For digging, it surely beats a D handled pioneer shovel!:p

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving a SEE down the road is not bad. I expected some bucking, as with a wheel loader, but none to be felt. That's with 40 psi and bad shocks, by the way.
Can't speak for "high" speed driving as I'm a low rpm person and feel that 35 mph is plenty for the engine.
Probably as a result of better shocks and less weight, the HMMH does feel more stable.

88FLU419

No plans for high speed. Just around town. Mostly back roads. Still waiting for it to get picked up. Apparently it can only get picked up Monday- Wednesday. Waiting is no fun.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since yours is camouflaged, Brian, the cops won't see it so no need to register it.
I plan on outrunning them if I ever see blinking lights in the mirror. Taking a left or a right off the pavement that is.
With 2,800 made, how are they going to know it was me?

Haha.. well, since I am going to be in a small town, I am sure they will know exactly who has the UNIMOG, even if I turn off the road and climb a hill (only choice as other direction is right into the ocean). Think I won't try that but I like the idea that they may miss me with a camo :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks