Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a FLU 419!!!

Thanks

Hey, that's one reason I moved away from the ocean.
    But being 10 miles from the nearest village of 1,300, people around here just might figure out it was me no matter what.
    Kind of like when a friend of mine was going a bit fast in the village and almost hit a deer. The cop parked on the shoulder didn't go after him as he had expected, but instead his cell phone rang. Yep, it was the cop asking him to slow down.

Corporal
    Thanks

Finally got it yesterday. Looks really good. Now I just have to get it running. Fuel smells a little funny. Who knows how long this thing has been sitting! 500 miles and 320hrs since 1988.

Thanks

Alright, that makes two of us with funny smelling fuel. Does yours also have strange deposits on the strainer in the tank?

Corporal
    Thanks

Yes it does. Working on wiring repair right now. Same critter that chewed wiring under dash on others got to mine also. Not too bad though. Mostly wiring for warning lights, and tach. Could have been worse. Fuel system cleaning

Corporal
    Thanks

Anyone know if exhaust parts are available for these?

Thanks

Friend just got one, but is having problem getting it to run. Fuel gets to the pump but won't go to the injectors. Anybody have an idea?

Thanks

Had the same issue. The pump consists of a cam shaft pushing plungers. The fuel was so old it turned to varnish. The cam pushed the plungers up and they stuck there. I had to remove the IP and have it rebuilt. The injectors also needed rebuilding. I have pictures of my home made injector puller if you need it. You don't necessarily need to tilt the cab I didn't but it would make the job easier.
    Butch AKA "Uncle Droopy Face"

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
    You don't bring a knife to a knife fight.
    You bring a gun to a knife fight.
    (Butchism #75)

M944A1
    M1061A1 5 ton trailer
    MEP 003
    KK4UKN Technician class

General
    Thanks

Two replies to prior postings.

Anyone know if exhaust parts are available for these?
    I haven't seen anyone listing them. I grabbed a header pipe off of Ebay awhile back as its quite custom on one end. The other tubing could be bent by custom shop except for the muffler . Expedition Imports has a spark arrestor listed but it may be ghost listing as they don't have it priced.

Fuel system question

I had the same issue with fuel system. I rigged up a gravity boat type temporary fuel tank with squeeze primer bulb and connected it to the fuel line as it leaves the fuel strainer on the frame rail. I then primed the system by loosening the bleed screw on the fuel filter and using the primer pump on the injector as well as the squeeze bulb to pump fuel until there were no bubbles. It started right up and would run off the boat tank quite well. When I switched things back to normal it would run for awhile and loose prime. I didn't find an exact cause but did find loose fuel connections above the fuel tank (they are hidden under the tool box deck until I loosened the tank straps) and also found that there is known issue with Mercedes plastic fuel lines loosening up as they age. I ended up replacing all the fuel lines with proper rated diesel fuel hose or at least putting a short length of split tubing over the Mercedes tubing and then a hose clamp on top of it. There is also technical service bulletin that there is return line coming off the valve cover that can easily get damaged when the engine cover is removed and that hose was possibly damaged. My fuel strainer also may have had a bad or missing gasket. If I had to pick a place to start it would be fuel strainer gasket, then connections on top of the tank and then if that don't work rig up a gravity feed like I did and see if it runs. If it runs with the boat tank then buy some hose, a pile of SS steel hose clamps and bunch or wire ties and start replacing. No need to flip the cab, you can get to everything from the wheel well.

Good luck.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance (for now)

Corporal
    Thanks

Pump plungers were also stuck on mine. Replaced injection pump with new one. Runs great now.

Private
    Thanks

In my state (Ohio) my first thought was to register it like any other vehicle. But here is the catch:
    1) In Ohio tractors, dirt movers and cranes are "exempt" from plates. There are also some "right of way" laws to protect tractors (less liability).
    2) In Ohio we have a new law regarding "fast tractors" that can move up to 55 MPH so long as they have the proper emblem on the rear.
    3) In Ohio we have new laws indicating that tractors must have amber flashing lights (to the front) on all extremities of tractor (the flu419 has this with use of hazards).
    4) Spoke to high ranking Highway patrol at state capital and here is the outcome.

Results:
    1) I never plan on operating the FLU-419 on the expressway, so being labeled a "tractor" is fine for our uses.
    2) I would rather have the exemptions and civil liability regarding "right of way" for a "tractor" VS a "truck".
    3) Registering it as a "truck" changes the legal classification of the vehicle and opens me up to more liability, being stopped for weight and portable scales, citations for going places that have "no truck" signs, etc.
    4) The FLU-419 aka Unimog was manufactured as a "tractor" and the FLU-419 is specifically designed as an excavator AKA dirt mover.

Summary:
    We keep ours as a TRACTOR with no tags.
    It is insured through State Farm as liability only... Just in case we have an accident. Cost is about 165 bucks every 6 months. (State farm was the ONLY insurance company who would cover the FLU! We tried like 10 of them)
    We have a triangle on the rear as well as our fast tractor emblem.
    We always operate with hazards on in addition to strobe light bar on roof that is hard wired so it's always on when street service lights are on.
    We always operate with high beams in daylight.
    We are limited to operation on state routes and lesser roadways. (NO XPRESSWAY)

Operated for 3 years in Ohio. Never stopped. But keep all paper work in cab.
    If we ever get cited... We have several legs to stand on in court:
    1) We use this as ministry outreach and we are covered by section 1 article 7 of the state Constitution that says that no law shall infringe on our religious beliefs.
    2) We have all the paper work declaring a unimog and the FLU-419 as a tractor/dirt mover and it has a PTO. So it shouldn't be an issue convincing a judge.
    3) If the copper is a butt head and wants to tow the FLU-419... Then 18USC241 and our religious liberties would come into play. I would be respectful and ask for a supervisor. As violations (or even conspiring to violate someones religious liberty) carries up to a 10 year prison sentence. - So I think we could work through that issue in a man2man discussion. (it's always a touchy area when you enter a testosterone driven (I am right) situation)
    Last edited by vtwin4christ; 04-26-2016 at 10:25.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast