• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Things I've Learned Restoring My M38A1

Bravo2Uniform

1. Most of the parts were apparently, judging by the cost, made by Bavarian gnomes, made of unobtainium, and forged in Vulcan's furnace.
  2. If they don't cost an arm and a leg, they don't fit or work right.
  3. Corollary to #'s 1 and 2 - no matter how diligently you search for a part, the day after you buy it you will see it somewhere else for a drastically lower price.
  4. JEEP is actually an acronym for "Just Empty Every Pocket"
  5. The most important piece always falls and rolls the least accessible location in the shop.
  6. Corollary to # 5 - any tool dropped will roll under the exact center of the Willys.
  7. Interchangeable parts aren't
  8. There is always one more thing that needs to be replaced to make it original.
  9. Corollary to # 8 - and that part is both expensive and unobtainable.
  10. Restoring my M38A1 is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Last edited:

Fifty

Number four, that's great..."JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET" and we all love doing this over and over and over again. How many times have we all done this?

Saberr

10.Restoring my M39A1 ..... :eek: That must be a rare one. LoL fifty, aint that the truth. Bout to send my frame to shop for bending and am excited.

Well, my old one still sits in the woods behind my shop, it died of a broken back. Jeeps are fun, until you realize that little bucket of bolts costs more than a Rolls Royce in the end.

AZK9

1. Most of the parts were apparently, judging by the cost, made by Bavarian gnomes, made of unobtainium, and forged in Vulcan's furnace.
  2. If they don't cost an arm and a leg, they don't fit or work right.
  3. Corollary to #'s 1 and 2 - no matter how diligently you search for a part, the day after you buy it you will see it somewhere else for a drastically lower price.
True! :roll: I feel at times like I'm stuck in an 'endless loop' of 1, 2 and 3.

Not sure if I should laugh, or cry. :shrugs:

Ah well...
It's all good! [thumbzup]

AZK9

... it's much better than a lot of addictions!
My kids tell me this OD/MV thing is a HUGE addiction!
rofl

They told me to edit your post to:
... it's much better than some other addictions!
They remind me that this new 'hobby' has somehow brought out a previously
unnoticed addictive aspect of my personality. They point out how REAL it is by
forcing me to acknowledge the steadily increasing size of my 'MV parts pile' and
the rapidly decreasing size of my credit card balance! :mrgreen:

I still say:

It's all good! [thumbzup]

___

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, you're right, there are "issues" and an addictive aspect to the "hobby", but look at it another way. It keeps some of us off the street and out of the way of those we'd probably have serious 'issues' with otherwise. It should actually be considered THERAPY......

Bravo2Uniform

Hey, you're right, there are "issues" and an addictive aspect to the "hobby", but look at it another way. It keeps some of us off the street and out of the way of those we'd probably have serious 'issues' with otherwise. It should actually be considered THERAPY......
Actually, mine is therapy. I bought it and am restoring it in honor of my Father, who died April 2015. It has given me a lot of time working with my hands to think and grieve. He drove an M38A1 when he was in the service.

RodUSMC1962

Ron Alred and George at Off Road Floater have probably 90-95 % of parts anyone would need, I buy from them on a regular basis and have been to both their locations ,good people. Ron Alred 423-580-0472, George 800-865-9732. Ron has 40 trailers of mostly mite parts. I have been there and seen them. Give them a call if you need anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks