• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any experts? Reo engine from White Semi

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to JasonS for sending this my way.

1962 white semi tractor with(I was told) reo 400 ci/200hp engine.

Can anyone verify this is the reo 400ci/200 hp engine? Tag on door say 6/200 AC2 for engine code.

Wanting to rebuild this and replace the 331 in the M108 crane truck. 331 is running on 3-4 cylinders. Figure this way the 19,000 lb truck would move better. I think, from what I've read, engine is a bolt-in replacement. Would keep the 331 in case next owner would want original engine.

Can anyone say what is involved in changing to the bigger engine?

Any guesses to weight of truck? Hoping it's under 12,000 lbs, then I can haul it with a trailer. Gas engine, one rear axle, no transfer case, and lighter beam axle in front. Should be much less than a standard 13,000 deuce.

Looks like this thread has some good info.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=reo+200

Seems JasonS know the engines pretty well.

Dennis

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heck Dennis, that should be driven home flat bed and all. How far is it from home? I'd love to offer help, but time is short for me.

JasonS

Look here for an oveview of my swap: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15085

The white 'super mustang' is the Reo design. The 6-200 would be the 400 cubic inch engine. The displacement should be stamped into the block just above the fuel pump (at least it was on mine). There also should be a dataplate just forward of the distributor. Not sure if it will have the displacement; mine was missing. If you have to, pull the pan and check the stroke. The 6-200 is the only one with a 4.7" stroke.

My 6-200 had a #2 bellhousing. I used the bellhousing and clutch off of the 331 which bolted up fine.

I used the stock 6-200 pan but relocated the drain plug to the drivers side. There isn't an abundance of clearance but it is OK.

Use the 331 exhaust manifold with a cap on the top.

I used a bellcrank for throttle linkage. Ill send you some pics.

The 331 generator bracket bolts up to the 6-200.

You could use the stock military distributor but I recommend using the 6-200. Use a 3 ohm pertronix coil and two 1.5 ohm ballast resistors to keep the point current low.

Most of the 331 gaskets work on the 6-200. I made up the rest using gasket paper.

The water cooled 331 air compressor wont clear the 6-200 thermostat housing. Use an air cooled one. The military or civilian will work. The civy are better (ball bearing on pulley side). I got mine locally for $25 at a truck salvage yard.

The 6-200 has 2.5" coolant inlet and outlet. Rotate the water outlet towards the radiator inlet. I used NAPA adapters and hoses to make the transition. Ill get you the part numbers. The thermostat is an off the shelf item at NAPA.

Head parts should interchange with the 6-200. The 6-200 has an additional squirter on the rocker arms for lubing the push rod joint. If you 6-200 doesn't have an air compressor pulley, you should be able to use the one from the 331.

The stock 6-200 oil filter is still available from Fleetguard (LF561). Fleetguard wasn't really sure of it's specs so I designed an adapter to mate a good spin on filter in it's place. You can use the combined full flow/ bypass type filters.

Rebuild parts are available from Mills Motor Parts. They do also show up on ebay. I wouldn't assume that a rebuild is necessary. Ill scan a copy of the sales engineering guide and email or post here. PM me and we can discuss all of this on the phone if you want.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the good info! I'll be in touch.

Come on, someone have a better guess on wieght? O well... Don't know for sure I am getting the truck yet. Figure I will.

No way I am driving this beast home. Front tires are SHOT. I wouldn't even try until tires are replace, all fluids changed, hoses and lights checked out. Going to see if anyone has an intrest in the truck without an engine, if not, going to scrap it.

Dennis

m139h2otruck

There is a photo on here somewhere of a deuce on a six wheel tilt bed truck, so I guess that that old White would fit on a 12,000# trailer, maybe.

spicergear

If you're going to pull the engine and discard the rest- Does it happen to have an emblem on it that says 'White Power?' NO- this isn't a hooded, firery cross question! My buddy's last name is White and we happen to see one of those emblems at a junkyard and they've since scrapped the truck. Just wondering- I know he'd be interested.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emblems say mustang power.. I decided not to get the truck. Don't have the time/money to get it right now. Truck isn't going anywhere. If anyone is interested, it's in cleveland, ohio, at a business, for 500.00 Pm for details. If it is still there in the spring I may go after it.

Dennis

FreightTrain

Banned
DO NOT KILL THAT TRUCK!!!!!!OR I WILL COME DEEP INTO YANKEE LAND AND OPEN A CAN OF WOOPASS ON YA!!!!!Buy it,fix it up and love it....or find someone that will restore it.But don't kill it!Piece of history!I would rather cut up an expando van Deuce than that old girl!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: White Super Mustang Engine

I was out beating the bushes for MV parts today in northeast OH. and stumbled onto a White Super Mustang 6-170 engine. Likely to be a 58-63 vintage. Needs to find a buyer fast or will be scrapped. Has been stored in a climate controlled shop and looks to be in very good condition. Ran well when pulled I'm told. I hope someone can save it. Has air compressor and carb included.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks