• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More speed out of M1008

84cucv1ton

i found a few things so far. here they are. whats left of a early 90s dodge. was a ctd. guy bought it for the motor. 5 speed 205 still there. dont know real miles on it but its a lot.

98 4l80e from a k2500. trans nothing else no wiring or computer.

4" lift kit. 35" tires. i dont want to go high with it so i can use the bed. truck tows too. really nice truck. not going to take it offroad.

found a 84 700r4 for a decent price. from what i read. 84 is not a very good year.

thinking a lift would be the cheapest option. overdrive down the road. really like the idea of a 5 speed

any ideas or thoughts.. thanks [thumbzup]

Kaiser67M715

1, Dodge 5 speed notorious for 5th gear nut backing off( loss of fifth, occasionally will lose ability to shift all gears, especially if you were shifting in/out of fifth when nut fell off.

2. 4l80 is not bad, just requires a computer and speed sensors, which is sometimes a hassle

3. 700 not bad, you can beef it up when rebuilding, but one can easily fry the tranny in a few miles if TV cable is malfunctioning/ misadjusted

Just a little input

84cucv1ton

i like the 5 speed. he no idea on real miles on the truck and he wants 1000. seems like a lot. very expensive to rebuild.

4l80e very expensive to rebuild. computer is a lot as well. going to pass on this.

700r4 it is . way cheaper. have a tv bracket now. can a 700 be rebuilt pretty easy like a th400_

for now small lift and a set of 35in tires wins.. found a set of bfgs. need some lift springs. do my own shackle flip in the rear. this is the way to go for now. summer time ill get a 700r4 in there.

thanks for the input

Kaiser67M715

somehwere, and maybe someone else here knows, but there was a chart that gave estimates of speed, throttle, and shift points to make sure the TV cable is adjusted right....well it was more of a guidance chart, but would probably be helpful none the less

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy has 3.08 gears. I'll run mine all day long at 65 but it has 4.10 gears. SM465 is on the horizon for me, it's actually good for a couple of more MPH since it is 100% locked up.

JUNKYARDJOHN

700r4s are great transmissions. Although inheredly weak & very expensive to rebuild in there stock form. They can be built to be bulletproof.. but that is very very expensive (think thousands of $) If you know someone or have the abuility to rebuild it yourself it will save you a lot but your still talking about a whole bunch of $ just for the parts. (Not at all like a t-400 dollar wise) There are tranny. experts on this site that will no doubt step in & give you some great advice. good luck... John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks