• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will this towbar end work on a FMTV?

1951M1078

Will this mount work on the M1078 for flat tow ?

Tow bar mount.JPG

And is it a good idea to get the U joint puller for pulling the drive shafts ?

Thanks. Randy

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It may work. Hard to gage the size from pics. The 5 ton feet work ok I think. You will need the u joint puller. If you damage the yokes you risk flying driveshafts after you put it back together. I would get some new u joints too. You will have to pull both the front and back driveshaft since its awd.

1951M1078

Thanks.
The small hole is 3/4" and the others are 1".

Was thinking about having it shipped and not go and drag it back with my Semi ? But I need to win the auction first.

Lmtv772

Banned
Don't worry about the truck until you have an invoice for it ������

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of towbar? That looks alot like the one that fits the medium / heavy one piece tow bar. the medium / heavy takes a 1 1/8 pin at the towbar and is thicker than the one that fits the medium tow bar with collapsing legs with a 1 inch pin. They are not interchangeable.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks,772. Nice

I was thinking it was for the big bar, juanprado.
Measure the pin hole for the towbar and the width of the foot. They do make a Y foot for the medium bar also. I have a set of the medium/heavy in the classifieds if that is what you have and I am motivated to sell :)

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you finally do win a truck and have a towbar, check the towbar foot to make sure it fits the front tow points correctly. On my truck it appears those brackets were an early casting, and for the regular medium tow bar feet to work, I need to grind down the front of the brackets on the truck. There is just too much material to let the proper tow bar foot go all the way up so the pin doesn't bind. I still haven't done it on mine yet, but maybe I will now that I remembered it needs done!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry about the truck until you have an invoice for it ������
I don't really think there is a problem with being prepared. I have most of the AC for a LMTV and no truck yet. When I do get one, though, I'll be able to have it cooled the same week I get it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Prices have been high recently. Probably due to income tax. I think there a lot of stuff in the pipeline. Just a matter of time till an ok deal comes along in your neck of the woods.

coachgeo

is there a left and right foot for the tube (NOT Ibis) tow bar? I got mine mounted now using the extra pair of feet I bought (thank god, cause ones that came with bar, were had too small pin for LMTV) both pair have the flat sided pin head on the same side of the pair's partner foot...... Which means when mounted on truck pin for right foot has to be installed w/out the pin head matching the foot's flange. I tried flipping the right foot but that did not seem right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks