• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GOV Planet Tax issues

profo

I bough a Unimog SEE in Sept of 2015 and was charged taxes about 1500 and once registered in Louisiana paid taxes again so I contacted GP with this info and proof of taxes paid, they said they would refund I got a Credit memo from the site months back but still havent got any money from them and tried numerous times to talk to somebody and you cannot talk to accounting when it comes to credits, is anybody having issues like this? Suggestions?

Marty

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done that. Talk directly to Oscar from their tax department, he handles all these requests. I know the GP reps wont transfer you to him. PM sent w/ info.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to head this off prior to payment? In other words if I just bought a truck in LA and it is coming to TX to be registered is there any way to avoid paying the LA taxes up front (they have state and county taxes totaling 9% and TX vehicle tax is 6.5%).

goldneagle

Is there any way to head this off prior to payment? In other words if I just bought a truck in LA and it is coming to TX to be registered is there any way to avoid paying the LA taxes up front (they have state and county taxes totaling 9% and TX vehicle tax is 6.5%).
I has similar issues with GL taxing me for vehicles I purchased from Camp Shelby in MS. When I tried to register the vehicles in LA they were taxing me again! I was told by LA DMV that if I could prove I paid tax in MS they would refund me the amount paid in MS since they have a reciprocating with MS. There was a tax code and amount on the Paid in Full invoice that proved I paid and the amount. I ended up getting refunds for each vehicle registered that I paid sales tax in MS.. LA DMV was awesome since they included vehicles I has registered more than a year previously.

Gunzy

I have seen these problems before. Here is an example. As a resident of Utah and Utah being the state I will register in, if I went to say, Ohio, and bought a Ford F150 from a dealership they will NOT charge me sales taxes as I am not a resident. When I get to Utah and go to register the said F150 I WILL be charged sales taxes on the purchase price at point of registration. Thus I will pay taxes only once and at point of registration. Now what I don't understand about GP or GL is why the charge sales taxes on a vehicle in a state that the purchaser is NOT a resident. As far as I know ALL DMVs in ALL states and territories will charge sale taxes based on the purchase price of said vehicles at point of registration which will be in the purchasers state of residence. I know that is what happened when I purchased a '68 GT500 out of Georgia and it came to me on a "Bill of Sale" no title as it was over 25 years old and I paid the Georgia dealer no sales taxes at all. I will point out that the Utah DMV didn't like the lack of title but I showed them the Georgia law and all was then dealt with including me paying sales tax on $18000 which was a good hit. Now if anyone knows different please chime in and explain why the GP and GL auctions should be different than any other vehicle sales/dealer.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I have seen these problems before. Here is an example. As a resident of Utah and Utah being the state I will register in, if I went to say, Ohio, and bought a Ford F150 from a dealership they will NOT charge me sales taxes as I am not a resident. When I get to Utah and go to register the said F150 I WILL be charged sales taxes on the purchase price at point of registration. Thus I will pay taxes only once and at point of registration. Now what I don't understand about GP or GL is why the charge sales taxes on a vehicle in a state that the purchaser is NOT a resident. As far as I know ALL DMVs in ALL states and territories will charge sale taxes based on the purchase price of said vehicles at point of registration which will be in the purchasers state of residence. I know that is what happened when I purchased a '68 GT500 out of Georgia and it came to me on a "Bill of Sale" no title as it was over 25 years old and I paid the Georgia dealer no sales taxes at all. I will point out that the Utah DMV didn't like the lack of title but I showed them the Georgia law and all was then dealt with including me paying sales tax on $18000 which was a good hit. Now if anyone knows different please chime in and explain why the GP and GL auctions should be different than any other vehicle sales/dealer.
Only reason I can think of is: What if you decide to part out the truck instead of registering it. They loose the sales tax. You would normally not do that with a civi vehicle bought new.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Only reason I can think of is: What if you decide to part out the truck instead of registering it. They loose the sales tax. You would normally not do that with a civi vehicle bought new.
At the end of the day we are on the hook for taxes so we have to ensure that they are paid. I am not an expert and don't pretend to be but I know for audit purposes we had to change our policy this yr to charge where it was sold and we will refund once we have proof of them being paid. If its shipped out we have to have the final BOL and we can refund the difference.

Gunzy

At the end of the day we are on the hook for taxes so we have to ensure that they are paid. I am not an expert and don't pretend to be but I know for audit purposes we had to change our policy this yr to charge where it was sold and we will refund once we have proof of them being paid. If its shipped out we have to have the final BOL and we can refund the difference.
If you are a licensed dealer why are you not doing the same as other dealers when it comes to out of state buyers?

Gunzy

Very few private buyers are parting trucks. Most that are parted or scrapped are bought by business' that won't pay taxes up front but will collect sales taxes on parts sold. JMO

blitz10

I paid taxes in AL for my truck. TX gave me credit for the AL state tax only and then added their 2 1/4% to make up the difference.
4% Alabama and the 2 1/4 Texas
1% Mobile
5% Prichard

So the total tax I have paid is 12 1/4 %. Govplanet post sales info shows a refund. I have not received it nor is it on my credit card. I sent the tax paper work by US mail. GP rep tells me to send it again, maybe it got lost. No it didn't, they have refund in post sale info and only they can put in in. Then told to wait several weeks and call. Call again, rep knows nothing and says he will call back. Nothing for several weeks and I call again. Now told to send it via email so I will have a record of it. Working on that now. I have no faith in getting the Mobile and Prichard tax back, $432.00

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid taxes in AL for my truck. TX gave me credit for the AL state tax only and then added their 2 1/4% to make up the difference.
4% Alabama and the 2 1/4 Texas
1% Mobile
5% Prichard

So the total tax I have paid is 12 1/4 %. Govplanet post sales info shows a refund. I have not received it nor is it on my credit card. I sent the tax paper work by US mail. GP rep tells me to send it again, maybe it got lost. No it didn't, they have refund in post sale info and only they can put in in. Then told to wait several weeks and call. Call again, rep knows nothing and says he will call back. Nothing for several weeks and I call again. Now told to send it via email so I will have a record of it. Working on that now. I have no faith in getting the Mobile and Prichard tax back, $432.00
You'll get it back...eventually. I go through this same ordeal with EVERY purchase from GP and since the start of the year my refunds have gone from 2 weeks to 12 weeks with no one knowing what is going on. Email is the way to go for sure, even contacting Jwade or Kyle or etc directly and ask them to forward it to the tax section is another security measure you could take. With the receipt from your tax office filed with GP they should refund EVERYTHING they charged you for initial tax.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks