• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV - Brake question

stevef

Ist time member, I have a M998 and a M105A2 trailer, The parking Brake on the M998 won't hold anything, I haven't taken anything apart, but wonder if the easy fiz would be a new cable> I see these for sale at a cost of less than $50 so just wondering if this is a good first step.
Thanks
SteveF

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ist time member, I have a M998 and a M105A2 trailer, The parking Brake on the M998 won't hold anything, I haven't taken anything apart, but wonder if the easy fiz would be a new cable> I see these for sale at a cost of less than $50 so just wondering if this is a good first step.
Thanks
SteveF
A good first step is diagnosis of the problem before spending money on parts it may or may not need. Also download and save the TM's to your computer , here is a link to them .
TM's for the M998 series

Parking brake covered in TM-9-2320-280-20-2.pdf
Chapter 7
page 705

Last edited:

Mike82ndABN

Thanks
SteveF
have you tried twisting the knob on top of the parking brake to tighten the adjustment.

papakb

Your best bet is to forget that worthless driveline brake and upgrade to the dual pull caliper system where the parking brake locks both rear calipers. What I found early on is that if you tighten the brake handle knob tight enough to actually hold the truck steady is that it won't release all the way and the fiction will eat up what little horsepower they HMMWV already has and will warp the driveline rotor. My driveway has about a 5 degree slope and that driveline brake wouldn't hold the truck in it. That's another reason the military required you to chock the wheels when stopped.

What you want is here: MWO 9-2320-280-35-1

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He never stated he had a driveline e-brake. I personally have not seen Any GP trucks that still have it, they have all had the MWO. It most likely needs adjustment....as has been mentioned.

stevef

Sorry guys, I need to crawl under the HMMWV and see exactly what I have and what is going on.

Living in Florida, there arn't many hills, but when I unloaded a M105A2 trailer, from the transport the hand, park brake didn't hold at all.
Now concerning the M105A2 trailer, I am trying to get MSO from the maker, as I don't want to spend money for a SF97 I figure I can do the paperwork myself, but this has proven to be more of a hassle than I would have imagined.
GP has everything tied up in a knot.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry guys, I need to crawl under the HMMWV and see exactly what I have and what is going on.

Living in Florida, there arn't many hills, but when I unloaded a M105A2 trailer, from the transport the hand, park brake didn't hold at all.
Now concerning the M105A2 trailer, I am trying to get MSO from the maker, as I don't want to spend money for a SF97 I figure I can do the paperwork myself, but this has proven to be more of a hassle than I would have imagined.
GP has everything tied up in a knot.

clear as mud...are we talking about a HMMWV or an M105 trailer?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the retail price is out of the box. I happened to get some calipers local very reasonable and I am piecing my kit together. The brake cables are very reasonable on epay. I got the long one on epay and the short one with the small brackets, long rod, and misc hardware for $80 from Kascar. Nuts, washers, and bolts can be sourced anywhere.

Even if you buy the calipers separately and piece it together, I think it is well below the crazy kit price.

List attached of the kit contents. The mwo is already posted with detailed instructions in the tm's

Some of the brake hardware can be reused off the old calipers or looks like the pins,pads, and bushings are civy items to me.

Only drag is that it looks like the muffler needs to be dropped to install the long rod with the equalizer bar that the 2 cables hook up to.

Attachments

Double

After making the mistake of just replacing the driverside ebrake cable, always replace both at the same time! Especially if you dont know how old they are. Having 2 new cables has made this a very reliable truck and you wont burn out your pads on a stuck cable. I still always chalk the tire but knowing that the ebrake works is piece of mind.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the first gen parking brake on a 1097 with no button and the knob on the end does not twist. What are your thoughts...lol...help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks