• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M332, AMMO TRAILER

markmars

I bought a M332, Ammo Trailer to tow behind my M1009. Has any one else done this? I know the trailers are made for 2 ½ ton. But I have used them in the Army to haul light loads.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M332 is a very heavy trailer for an M1009. It can be done...I've done it...but I would not load the trailer with much weight. I had better luck towing 1-1/2 ton trailers with my M1028 since the hitch is up higher and the trailer sits more level.

markmars

Thanks, I got good deal on the M332 and wanted a trailer for my M1009. Whats the max weight you would load? I wanting to haul 1 ton of wood pellets in it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, you can load as much as you want to in it, but that CONTROLLING it thing might bite you in the a$$... The M332 or M149 was NEVER meant to be pulled behind a CUCV or HMMWV. you wont be able to brake propperly. And if you get into an accident and kill someone, the PD is going to say you had a trailer connected to a truck that was way too heavy for it. (The air brake hoses are always a good indicator.. If you cant connect them to the truck, it's a good indication that the trailer wanst meant to be hooked up to it.) I was in the Army, I moved 149's a short distance EMPTY in the motorpool, but that was only to reposition the trailer... Bottom line, if you kill someone other than yourself, your gonna get sued, and they will probably win. Please go read the thread about being a reposonsible MV owner....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that the M1009 will be able to tow the M332 with a ton of wood pellets in it, but, personally, I would not feel comfortable doing it. Just my $.02... Get an M101A2 with surge brakes. They are a bit more expensive, but they will tow better and you'll have brakes! Plus, you can manhandle them around. One person is not going to move an M332 unless it is empty and on smooth pavement...and you don't have to move it that far.

SouthwestUSA

I bought a M332, Ammo Trailer to tow behind my M1009. Has any one else done this? I know the trailers are made for 2 ½ ton. But I have used them in the Army to haul light loads.
I recently bought two of theses trailers, piggy-backed them together via the pintle hooks and towed them 400 miles across Texas... The only "event" was when a deer ran out in front of me on a backroad at night... that was kind of thrilling, but my 1/2 ton Silverado handled the trailers nicely...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy ancient thread revival, Batman! Over four years since a post in this thread...

The M332 is a good trailer, I prefer them over the M105 for behind a deuce. But behind a M1009, better be a short trip and a light load. That M332 is 2,500 pounds empty and no brakes (at least none that are compatible with your CUCV). I can see a stupid driver cresting a hill with a Blazer, a loaded M332 behind him and quickly notice a wet road and a red light ahead. That would NOT be the best time to realize you have too much weight in your trailer, and not enough a$$ in your truck.

SouthwestUSA

I have 14 trailers I've purchased through GL... And yes, the M332 is one heavy son of a gun.
I butchered one in order to haul my 600 gallon fuel pod. I probably easily shaved 500 pounds or more from it.

On my trip home (400 miles) with two of these piggy-backed, I kept it at 45 miles per hour on back-roads. It would have been great to have air brakes on my 2004 Silverado... but it worked out fine since I drove through no "real" cities and basically straight to the farm where the "bloodbath " began with my cutting torch...

I'll only be using my "modified" M332 about twice per year on a 4 mile run to buy diesel fuel... And coming home loaded, I'll probably go 30 miles per hour or less.
Makes me wish I had a 5 ton Army tractor, but my wife would shoot me if I came home with one of those.

(The scary thing I see, are farmers out here in my neck of the woods hauling larger fuel tanks than mine, on trailers they probably bought at Harbor Freight... I need to get a few photos to post showing these "sod-busters" about to win the Darmin Award...)

Attachments

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
I never thought about doing that with that trailer. What a cool way to put a tanker together. And it looks almost like it was built to be a tanker trailer too.

SouthwestUSA

I never thought about doing that with that trailer. What a cool way to put a tanker together. And it looks almost like it was built to be a tanker trailer too.
When I got the tank on and stood back and looked at it, I thought "time to get the spray gun out and shoot the tank O.D."

I hated taking a cutting torch to the M332, and each time I wacked off some unwanted metal I kept thinking "This poor trailer was probably up the road from me when I was in Vietnam... Should I be doing this to a war veteran?"

SouthwestUSA

Do you really feel those straps help keep the trailer hitch in place?
There was a little "slop", about 1/8th inch in the yaw axis (side to side) at the top of my fabricated hitch... And yes, they worked. They weren't there to prevent the hitch from SLIDING out, just to control a very slight rocking back and forth action, bascially noticeable when there wasn't a load on the trailer... And notice everything was tripple-safety-chained, including the rear trailer. A deer ran out in front of me at night on the 400 mile way home and they did fine. This isn't a permanent hitch, just a one way ticket home. The straps locked the hitch tight, they had adequate strength to keep the slop out.

You should see some of the fabric airplanes I've built with rib-stitching holding the fabric on the wings... and then go out and fly upside down :smile:

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
When I got the tank on and stood back and looked at it, I thought "time to get the spray gun out and shoot the tank O.D."

I hated taking a cutting torch to the M332, and each time I wacked off some unwanted metal I kept thinking "This poor trailer was probably up the road from me when I was in Vietnam... Should I be doing this to a war veteran?"
True but better we cut them up to make new uses for these trailers then the scrap man cut them up.

SouthwestUSA

True but better we cut them up to make new uses for these trailers then the scrap man cut them up.
When I was last at Fort Hood, The G.L. site manager there (great guy named Paul) told me someone was buying the M105s, taking the wheels off and selling the bodies to a scrap metal place. Darned near made me cry...

I'm still sick that they took a wrecking ball to Fort Ord where I went through basic in 1970... and they aren't even preserving one single building as a "memory keepsake". They had barracks there (I lived in one) from WW2...

Sorry, I just wax and wane for old stuff in O.D.

indy4x4fab

Banned
That's alright, I love hearing all the vets tell there stories, my grandfather when threw Camp Atterbury for basic dearing ww2 his barracks is now a model air plane landing strip. Every time he comes back up here to Indy from southern GA, we go out there and see where his barracks, used to be, only this year I'll be taking him back in my 818, fingers crossed. I love hearing him talk about it mainly because I'm the only one of all the grand kids that loves anything mil. related.

DrJekl

Okay, here is what you do. Get rid of the current axle and air system components. Put a 5200# 8 lug axle on it (most trailer places will custom make you one that will bolt right up, just take your trailer, they will cut it and put the spring perches in the right spots) with electric brakes. Flip the lunnette down. The combination will give you brakes, reduce the weight of the trailer, and get the tongue where you need it. You will have about $300 more in it but it will be a usable trailer. Put a good jack on there as well.

Or, haul that heavy piece of crap to the scrap yard and make $150 on it. I had about a half dozen of them along with some M-105 trailers. Could not give them away so they all went to the scrap yard and I doubled my money. Several were like new condition.

SouthwestUSA

Great tips. This was going to be my next question, removing that beast of an air brake set up. All that dead weight doing nothing but exacerbating a problem should another deer decide to leap out in front of me...

I'll "git-er-dun" and will post some photos.

Your last tip was a crushing blow to me... Those M332 trailers are so ugly and wicked looking, I'd never be able to scrap one... I might need to cling to it when another Texas tornado blows through here. My house might blow away, but gads, that heavy beast will probably stay in the yard.

DrJekl

Well, I was asking $300 per trailer and was getting tired of listening to people cry about how bad I was screwing them and complaining about how far they had to drive, and then offering $100 for a near new looking trailer with new tires on it. We're moving to Korea this Spring and I started cleaning up and I'd rather them get ground up and made into a Hyundai than being used by one of those knuckle heads. 3/4 ton trailers you can sell but a 1.5 ton is just a beast as is and is hard to sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks