• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Wall (Adhesive Lined) shrink tubing

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI. In a former life I did a lot of wiring and
one of the products I came accross was this shrink
tubing that had adheasive inside. The product
is made by 3M and I can vouch for this stuff.

Besides the obvious use for wiring, it can be used to do things like insulate the shank of a screw driver so you don't short stuff out. Just use your imagination.

I posted this because I was reading warthogs M1007 post and noticed his wiring technique.

jbayer

Just an FYI. In a former life I did a lot of wiring and
one of the products I came accross was this shrink
tubing that had adheasive inside. The product
is made by 3M and I can vouch for this stuff.

Besides the obvious use for wiring, it can be used to do things like insulate the shank of a screw driver so you don't short stuff out. Just use your imagination.

I posted this because I was reading warthogs M1007 post and noticed his wiring technique.
I use the same stuff, "Adhesive-Lined, Polyolefin Tubing" it's the bomb. The adhesive melts when you shrink it, completely sealing it from moisture.

papakb

Have you seen the new low temperature solder sleeves that have a solder ring inside adhesive lined heatshrink? When you hit them with a heat gun the solder melts and joins the wires and the heatshrink melts down and creates a watertight seal. The best of both worlds. I found it on Everybody Bids Against You but electronics shops should be carrying it pretty soon. I just checked Amazon and there all over it too. Search "heat shrink solder sleeves".

MarcusOReallyus

Rumor has it that a couple of layers of heat shrink slipped over a small microphone cable, and then shrunk, can make the cable stiff enough that it can be mounted using various methods, and will hold the microphone where you want it. say... on the top of the steering column of your vehicle, pointed straight at the driver's mouth, so it's in the best position to pick up his voice. Makes for a good hands-free cellular installation, so it seems.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you seen the new low temperature solder sleeves that have a solder ring inside adhesive lined heatshrink? When you hit them with a heat gun the solder melts and joins the wires and the heatshrink melts down and creates a watertight seal. The best of both worlds. I found it on Everybody Bids Against You but electronics shops should be carrying it pretty soon. I just checked Amazon and there all over it too. Search "heat shrink solder sleeves".
Not new, or cheap by any means, but yet a wonderful thing, and worth every penny.
As usual though the stuff on Ebay and Amazon can be very hit or miss in quality, especially with the solder flow and adhesion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks