• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078/M1079 for overland camper?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think they rev up to 2400 rpms that's pretty safe for the motor. I have done highway stints at 57 without issue. I would think you would get better mpg with higher gears if you could do 57 at say 2000 rpms. The truck does weigh 17k and you loose some mpg with the awd system.

Randy,
I tested the chassis flex on my truck personally with the bed on and off. I also talked to the drivers of these trucks at our base (NSW). They stated that these trucks don't have much flex if any. I tend to agree. I build off road race cars/trucks/rock crawlers, and obviously FMTV's are not in that class. But I found that there was no reason to fabricate a three point mount system on my truck, (it's not a MOG). I mounted my box just as the bed was mounted. Having my camper on and have driven it through trails that rock crawlers refused to go through, I can say I've had zero issues or concerns. The suspension works very well. The Border Patrol Officers actually stopped me on the trail to talk to me about what I had just driven through! I had to just laugh and tell them that was nothing for this truck. I just put it in Mode 1 and let her go.
Great info. Nice to know that you don't need to float the bed.
Michael

I got an M1079 rather than an M1078 and I have used it on several road/camping trips and it is great for me (my wife has not yet gone along).

View attachment 614327

The truck itself has been great both on highway and off road. Top speed on mine has been 60 (downhill).
I don't consider it a full camper since I don't have permanent beds, bathroom or kitchen. The van is just a place to sleep and carry all my gear.

I have some upgrade posts that might be of interest to you.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147122-LMTV-Upgrades

I plan on going to the NC rally next month and get more tips from other Steel Soldiers.

Good luck and post pictures when you get going!
Awesome setup you have, kenet3621,
I read through your whole thread. You've been doing some good work. I've been thinking a lot about if I would want a M1079 or if I would want to make my own camper. It seems the M1079 could save a lot of work. Can you tell me the internal dimensions? My wife and I have been looking at internal layouts, and I'd love to know how big the M1079 enclosure is inside.

Thanks,
Michael

Hey Michael,
I've had my M1078 for ~6 months...and I've been pleased with it.
My learning curve on this truck was pretty steep compared to my M35A2...especially not having ever driven something with air brakes.
It drives like a school bus...i'm still not used to steering with the air cab bouncing...so 45mph seems to fast on 2-lane back roads.
It took me several months to get the parking brakes, and rear brakes, to work...I miss diagnosed it a faulty air brake chambers (~$240 each, new), but all the chambers need was a 1ounce dose of wd40.
One tire & wheel is 350lbs, lugs need 450 ftlbs torque.
The tires have a large volume, you'll likely want a large air compressor, if the CTIS is NOT working.
I also had a cracked front housing on the CAT 3116...apparently, after rebuilding the starter, the mechanic forgot to tighten the air compressor bracket bolts on engine block ($850 for new front housing, $100/hour CAT labor rate, ~$4k total repair bill).
Also, my truck weighs 9 tons...but you could probably shed 5k lbs by removing the bed.
Cheers,
Tom
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the info. I too have never driven something with air brakes, so I think that would take some learning and getting use to. I'm a pretty slow driver in general, so driving slow is fine with me as long as I'm not causing traffic problems or stressing people out. I do wonder if the differential mod is worth doing. I do like the idea of a little more speed capability and maybe improved mileage.

Thanks for the note on the tires. They look like the weigh a bit. I was just telling my wife tonight that if we get a M1078, I'll probably need a few some new tools. Probably at least a few larger beaker bars than I have.

Sorry to hear about your cracked front housing. I do worry about that kind of thing. Cost can build up fast with stuff like this.

I wonder how much the bed weighs. I think it would be a good idea to pull anything unwanted off before adding all the weight of the camper. I saw some photos that looked like steel ballast plates stacked above the rear axle of an FMTV. Did I see that right? Maybe it was on an armored FMTV or something. Anyway, it looked heavy.

Thanks,
Michael

Thank you very much for taking the time to get those dimensions. That is very helpful.

The "floor-plan" I sketched up is:
Wide: 6' 5"
Length:13"
Height: 6' 5"

Surprisingly close. I would gladly give up a foot of length to get a foot of width, so that's actually good.

Have a good weekend,
Michael

The inside dimensions of the van are:
Width: 7' 6"
Length: 12'
Height: 6' 6"

Hope this helps your planning.

coachgeo

One of the best camper designs I saw for expedition camper in tight areas (as in not desert but wooded trails etc) copied the concept of the 404 German Unimog Radio Box's. Simply planned to never stand up in the box. Thus you can reduce height tremendously. Big benefits from this such as; SAFETY by having lower center of gravity, Reduced cost and physical size of Heating and cooling equipment. In the radiobox there was a chair that slid on slots in the floor from front to rear. I assume they swiveled too. In the camper this fellow did similar. Was more of a Bar stool. Looked like everything was reachable from the stool with little need to move for or aft at all.

In addition to that idea; a dropped floor entryway giving near full height entrance for easy access to the chair would make entry easier AND can serve as the shower stall. Also good location cause you can wash off your boots before entering the rest of the rig.

Now thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX Pardon the Pun, One could also look into how the chassis and box sits and see if there is places to incorporate a cranked down drop floor. Opposite of a pop-up roof.

Sounds a bit crazy but if you want to maximize floor space, get comfortable with a Squat Toilet. A well placed curtain or two and a Squat Toilet hidden in/under the floor can make space more usable as well.

Now

Last edited:

scottmandu

1) What is typical highway fuel mileage (I’ll try not to cry when I read the answer)?
8ish
2) Where do I get new tires and how much do they cost?
New new they are about ~3K. New surplus you can find them for $200-$300 a tire.
4) Is the pneumatic system a pain when it gets old and leaky?
like anything is need maintenance however most parts are off the shelf products.
5) Is the tire inflation system reliable? Worth having? Can it be removed?
I love it.
7) Are the pneumatic brakes reliable, hard to service, etc.?
system is reliable and parts are easy to find/replace.
8 What is a comfortable cruising speed (are they governed to 55-60 mph)?
57 is max speed rpm limited. You can install different final drive to get that speed to 67 or so.
9) I’ve read mixed reviews of the CAT 3116 engine, how many miles can you expect?
In trucks and busses they are pretty solid but in boats with the higher horsepower they had problems.
15) Are there any common mechanical problems with them?
CTIS seals tend to leak but they are repalceable.
16) How availability are general body parts (should I also get a parts truck)?
It depends on what you need there is alot of stuff second hand and some stuff on the New surplus market, but I advise to get one with the best shape body you can afford.
17) On the road, how is the availability of engine/transmission parts from CAT/Allison?
Just about everything for the 3116 I've needed was in stock or 2 days away from a cat dealer. The trans is supported by Allison, but some parts can take awhile to get.
18 Are the mil surplus vehicles typically mechanically trashed, or are they in usable condition?
It depend on the unit you buy. It helps to do an inspection.
19) Why do the ones that I see at gov surplus auction have so few miles on them?
The government hardly uses them.
22) Are they highway legal in all states?
Yes in Texas
23) Are there any general legal issues with owning one?
None that I know of
24) Can I drive it through Canada to get to Alaska without border “export” problems?
Not entirely sure

scottmandu

I think they rev up to 2400 rpms that's pretty safe for the motor. I have done highway stints at 57 without issue. I would think you would get better mpg with higher gears if you could do 57 at say 2000 rpms. The truck does weigh 17k and you loose some mpg with the awd system.
Looking at the fuel efficiency curves of various 3116 models, 16-1800 rpm would be the sweet spot for fuel economy.

coachgeo

http://expeditionportal.com/

You must check out this site it is full of information you want. Up here in Canada we use a lot of Bedford MJ trucks converted to campers check them out on the above forum. I just sold one that I had made and might convert another one I have to a camper as well. Eddy
I must suck at searching today. Could find little on Bedfords at Exp.Port. Course you can't search by "MJ". Could find nothing with a camper already built on one. Again though cause my searching probably sucks on this Bunney Day.

Here is one http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...n-4x4-military-Truck?highlight=Bedford+Canada

Here is first of a two-parter on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnk8Gx7apdY

Last edited:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that's a Bedford MJ they use a Perkins Diesel that is easy to get parts for and are a great truck. The British army uses them and they train here in Canada so you can find them pretty cheap sometimes. You should be able to buy one up here in Canada for under $8 K US right now. **** I have one you can have for $7.5 K If you read up on them they are quite a good unit and used all over the world. Eddy

One of the best camper designs I saw for expedition camper in tight areas (as in not desert but wooded trails etc) copied the concept of the 404 German Unimog Radio Box's. Simply planned to never stand up in the box. Thus you can reduce height tremendously. Big benefits from this such as; SAFETY by having lower center of gravity, Reduced cost and physical size of Heating and cooling equipment. In the radiobox there was a chair that slid on slots in the floor from front to rear. I assume they swiveled too. In the camper this fellow did similar. Was more of a Bar stool. Looked like everything was reachable from the stool with little need to move for or aft at all.

In addition to that idea; a dropped floor entryway giving near full height entrance for easy access to the chair would make entry easier AND can serve as the shower stall. Also good location cause you can wash off your boots before entering the rest of the rig.

Now thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX Pardon the Pun, One could also look into how the chassis and box sits and see if there is places to incorporate a cranked down drop floor. Opposite of a pop-up roof.

Sounds a bit crazy but if you want to maximize floor space, get comfortable with a Squat Toilet. A well placed curtain or two and a Squat Toilet hidden in/under the floor can make space more usable as well.

Now
coachgeo,
I think there are a ton of awesome options out there. My wife and I have been looking at a bunch of photos of other expedition campers. Like you said, I don't want it too tall, but I'm 6'2", so I would like a little space.

I was thinking of making recessed storage in the floor between the frame rails. I guess you could drop the floor a little there as well. Anyone know the dimensions between the frame rails?

Thanks,
Michael

Mileage: 8ish
Tires: New new they are about ~3K. New surplus you can find them for $200-$300 a tire.
Pneumatic system: like anything is need maintenance however most parts are off the shelf products.
CTIS: I love it.
Brake: system is reliable and parts are easy to find/replace.
Speed: 57 is max speed rpm limited. You can install different final drive to get that speed to 67 or so.
Engine: In trucks and busses they are pretty solid but in boats with the higher horsepower they had problems.
Common mechanical problems: CTIS seals tend to leak but they are repalceable.
Body parts : depends on what you need there is alot of stuff second hand and some stuff on the New surplus market, but I advise to get one with the best shape body you can afford.
Engine/transmission parts: Just about everything for the 3116 I've needed was in stock or 2 days away from a cat dealer. The trans is supported by Allison, but some parts can take awhile to get.
Typical condition: It depend on the unit you buy. It helps to do an inspection.
Why so low milage: The government hardly uses them.
Highway legal in all states: Yes in Texas
General legal issues: None that I know of
Can I drive it through Canada to get to Alaska without border “export” problems: Not entirely sure
Thanks scottmandu for all the info. Very helpful!

Michael

http://expeditionportal.com/

You must check out this site it is full of information you want. Up here in Canada we use a lot of Bedford MJ trucks converted to campers check them out on the above forum. I just sold one that I had made and might convert another one I have to a camper as well. Eddy
The Expedition Portal is awesome. I'm a member there already. Thanks for the reference, though. There is a lot of really good info on there.

We've reviewed a ton of truck options, and I think we are getting pretty settled on the M1078, but we are open to ideas. I'll take a look at the Bedford MJ.

Thanks,
Michael

My wife and I went down and visited Eric (Duckworthe) in San Diego. He is a super nice guy and very helpful. His camper and truck are great. My wife and I really liked his overall setup. He took us for a drive (paved and trail), and we were really impressed with how comfortable the ride was and how capable it was on the trail. The M1078 is a big truck for sure.

We are going to do a bit more reading/research, but we plan to start looking for a M1078 soon. I guess we need to decide if we want to go the auction route or get one that was previously owned/registered civilian. As for condition, I'm fine with working on the truck a good bit to get it reliable, but I'd prefer to start with one in relatively good mechanical shape. The better shape the truck is, the the more time I can spend on the camper build.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks