• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078/M1079 for overland camper?

I just got the dimensions from the seller.

My shaft is:
P/N 483-49-050-145
Length: 29.75 in (center-to-center collapsed)
Tube OD: 4.0 in

New Shaft:
P/N 983-92-49-496
Length: 29.5 in (center-to-center collapsed with length of plastic cover subtracted)
Tube OD: 3.75 in

They seem very similar, but the tube on the new one seems to be 1/4 inch smaller. The NSN numbers seem to indicate that they are interchangeable. Should I go with the new P/N?

Michael

coachgeo

....They seem very similar, but the tube on the new one seems to be 1/4 inch smaller. The NSN numbers seem to indicate that they are interchangeable. Should I go with the new P/N?
Maybe apologize for being picky but could they weight it. Suggest that cause it might give you a hint by comparing the two's weight if they are using a thicker wall tube on the smaller one, negating the need to go 4".

Sidenote... something to consider... if it is the superseded model for sure made to fit the FMTV's... one would think it is made to withstand even more stress cause the MRAPs and newest FMTV's are much heavier with all that armor.

Ok, I think I got this sorted. Nate at Equipment Parts Sales helped me figure it out. EPS has a bunch of NOS driveshaft, and he was really helpful and patient with all my questions.

Basically, it looks like there are three NSN numbers for the LMTV FWD driveshaft (P/N 483-49-050-145)

NSN: 2520-01-545-0390
NSN: 2520-01-478-7612
NSN: 2320-01-447-3884

Nate was nice enough to photograph each one and measure it for me. NSN: 2520-01-545-0390 matched my existing driveshaft exactly. It looks just like the one I have, too.

I believe that the other NSN parts would likely work and might even be superior in some respect because, as coachgeo mentioned, if they fit MRAP and FMTV, they are evidently high capacity and modern. That being said, I went with the one that matched what my truck already had.

Michael

IMG_4390.jpg

The project is going well. We are making a lot of headway. We have been trying to work on it a little every day.

I have decided not to post too much on this forum specifically about the expedition side of the project. I think I am going to keep this post more LMTV related. I will update it from time to time with progress, but if you want to keep track of the project as a whole, keep an eye on the two following links:

Our Expedition Truck Thread on Expedition Portal
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/160328-M1078-LMTV-expedition-vehicle-build

Our Build Blog
https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/

If you guys would like me to post here more often, let me know. I just didn't want to clutter up this forum with things that are not specifically related to military vehicles.

Michael

Last edited:

grndZr0

Do you guys have any idea what the Bed weighed? I am looking at different ideas for a Hab structure and was wondering how much weight could be added to the Hab by removing the bed.

Ryan

My wife and I are making good progress on getting our truck ready to be painted. The truck was pretty much covered in a thin layer of dried mud when we received it. It had also been painted multiple times. The last time it was painted, they over sprayed tan CARC on many of the hoses and wires. Functionally, it didn’t really hurt anything, but we wanted to get any of the flaking paint off the hoses so we can inspect them. The overall goal was to remove all the dirt and grime off the chassis so we could start the paint prep process.

20160715a (4) copy.jpg
Chassis Before

20160715a (34) copy.jpg
Chassis After

We are doing a myriad of other things; learning how to take the tires off the rims, removing lights, bumpers, and other smaller items we can paint off the chassis that will give us better access when we get to the final prep and are ready to paint.

20160717 (36) copy.jpg

removing-spare-tire-from-rim-1.jpg

removing-spare-tire-from-rim-3.jpg

truck-in-current-configuration.jpg

On the topic of removing things, we got new marker lights all around. Some of the old ones are in pretty rough shape, but many have good parts. If anyone wants these for spare parts, let me know. Free to a good home if you pay for shipping.

removed-marker-light-covers.jpg

removed-marker-lights.jpg

Last edited:

Anthonyca

I have a 1998 m1078 that I'm currently storing in Merced CA until I can find time to work on it. I'm also currently chasing a short somewhere which is a real PITA. Let me know if you'd like to see it sometime. She runs like a charm!

Do do you ever bring that truck to the Bay Area?

OP, great thread. I would love to do this but I don't have room.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know everyone is going in a couple of different directions on camper builds but ran across something I wish had been available when I bought my M1078.

My thought was to take a Hi/Low bumper camper, pull the axle, then mount it on my M1082 trailer. The goal was less wind resistance when towing but lots of headroom when expanded for camping. This set up would probably fit the bill PLUS have the hydraulic lift gate on the back for a motorcycle of 4 wheeler. At this point I'm happy with my truck so will leave this one to someone else. Unfortunately there weren't any pics with the shelter expanded.

High-Low.jpg

It's also a winch truck which would be a nice addition.

tbared

So, from a fellow expeditioner....... I really need this project to come to fruition. Ive been planning something similar to this as well and my brides lack of imagination has been dampening the project. So no pressure or anything........ :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks