• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Essential Tools to have for an FMTV? Add your .02

themeec

If you do not add additional air tanks then your 1 inch impact is going to be limited to 1 lug nut every minute or two. I ditched air impacts a while ago as on onboard carry around tool. Lots of room with only 1 purpose.
The Milwaukee 18v fuel series 1/2" guns and the Dewalt 20v guns will do just about everything on these trucks. I have the big boy and the smaller 1/2" version. https://youtu.be/c1nd9PmCz_4

Thanks for the input! I'll have to investigate this route as well. The idea of onboard carrying is quite appealing. How often do you find you have to charge them if they've not been plugged in?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the input! I'll have to investigate this route as well. The idea of onboard carrying is quite appealing. How often do you find you have to charge them if they've not been plugged in?
The Battery lasts a long time. I have a charger for the cigarette lighter that dewalt makes as well.

The 20v i do like though since with the flex volt battery you can use a variety of tools. I keep the grease gun and the angle grinder on board as well. With a good 7inch disc the battery will last long enough to cut thru a tire to disassemble an alligator blowout

ramdough

Had this thread bookmarked for a while, and wanted to put my own summary on here, to get some clarification on a few items. Hats off to coachgeo for putting this thing together, but there were some specifics I still would like to clarify. I've included some size ranges on those I could find, since I noticed some came in sets, and listed the drive size for the air tools to get some further clarification on what's needed/necessary there:

NOTE: Some of these might seem like a "duh, how do you not have this already", but bear in mind I have basic tools for my Bimmer, but nothing larger/more complex.

Impact Sockets (deep well) 8-46mm/1" drive
Impact Sockets 8-46mm 1/2" drive
Allen Sockets 14-27mm 1" drive
Allen Sockets (sizes?) 1/2" drive
40" breaker bars x2 (1" and 1/2" drive)
Multi-meter
1" drive Air Impact Wrench
1/2" drive Air Ratchet
Compressor for impact and ratchet
Heavy Duty U-Joint Puller (Is this a serviceable one? Read a few internet fights over OEM Tools vs. OTC variants with no real conclusion on quality)
20-Ton Bottle Jack x2
Heavy wheel chocks x4
Air hose w/gladhand
So, you are the only one to list sizes of sockets....not to question your list, but what sizes does everyone actually think we should carry?

I personally would not overlap so fully on the impact sizes. An 8mm 1” drive sounds crazy to me.

Also, I would think some sizes you need multiples and some sizes you will never need.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themeec

You are correct about the ratchet/impact drive size. I was just listing the maximum drive you'd need, and shooting out some ballpark ranges. I find most sets with the smaller socket sizes, usually come with suitable-size ratchets and adapters.

The one thing I haven't found a burning need for (yet) is the allen head sockets. Otherwise a standard set of combination wrenches, couple-three socket sets ranging up to a 1/2" drive hand ratchet, are all that I've needed thus far ... oh, and a few very large funnels and vice grips.

ramdough

You are correct about the ratchet/impact drive size. I was just listing the maximum drive you'd need, and shooting out some ballpark ranges. I find most sets with the smaller socket sizes, usually come with suitable-size ratchets and adapters.

The one thing I haven't found a burning need for (yet) is the allen head sockets. Otherwise a standard set of combination wrenches, couple-three socket sets ranging up to a 1/2" drive hand ratchet, are all that I've needed thus far ... oh, and a few very large funnels and vice grips.
It would be nice if someone really knowledgeable (not me) put a list of all of the actual sizes and types needed. Say if you only wanted to carry the sizes on the truck.

What sizes do you need two or more of?

What is the max size socket (excluding the hub plugs)?

Thanks!

JD4044M

A super heavy snatch (recovery) strap or rope.
A come-a-long.
Rope and several ratchet straps...at least to keep the 350lb tire from falling over during a tire change or removal.
My Tractor Tires weigh over 850 lbs each filled with liquid much taller and wider. You learn how to not over jack them up and have a flat bar to work them on the lugs. One trick is to work them in a twisting motion to move them away from the hubs a little at a time. Had to add Wheel Spacers to my John Deere and you are real careful to not let one get away from you. Also is a good idea to have help if you can too! After I figured how the pipes worked I will get me a set great idea I learn something new every day reading here!!

Last edited:

JD4044M

It would be nice if someone really knowledgeable (not me) put a list of all of the actual sizes and types needed. Say if you only wanted to carry the sizes on the truck.

What sizes do you need two or more of?

What is the max size socket (excluding the hub plugs)?

Thanks!

That is easy to figure out by looking. Your not going to rebuild your engine on the side of the road and a lot of other things require parts being ordered. So get your tool box out and start looking around at what you may have to repair. Belts, hoses, electrical, lighting, brakes, clutch adjustments, radiator bolt, body fasteners, wire crimping, fuses, spare bulbs, spare belts, tire tools, universal joint bolts, some fluids, funnels, Multi Meter, some wire, tape, oil filter tools, and variety of bolts, washers and nuts. This is a start and remember your manuals come in real handy too,

JD4044M

same lefty direction type lugnuts on these trucks too
I will look at my Torque Wrench and see. I have 4 different ones. Only my biggest would be for Lug Nuts. I do have a mechanical advantage socket driver for 1" drive. I only use it to loosen stuff because you can over torque real easy with one!!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque wrenches carry a heavy price and if your just doing lug nuts then might not be the best choice. With the Milwaukee M18 fuel 3/4 drive set on power level 4 puts the lug nuts on just about close to what we are looking for. When I tried mine on power setting 4 it was 475 to 485 foot pounds. The Milwaukee 3/4 drive you could use more often around the shop / yard where the torque wrench will gather dust if not doing tires / wheels. Even with the 3/4 drive you can get a step down adapter to step down to 1/2 that would be more common size socket most people have and work the Milwaukee on the smaller stuff you might be working on or at least be more use full than the big torque wrench.

JD4044M

Torque wrenches carry a heavy price and if your just doing lug nuts then might not be the best choice. With the Milwaukee M18 fuel 3/4 drive set on power level 4 puts the lug nuts on just about close to what we are looking for. When I tried mine on power setting 4 it was 475 to 485 foot pounds. The Milwaukee 3/4 drive you could use more often around the shop / yard where the torque wrench will gather dust if not doing tires / wheels. Even with the 3/4 drive you can get a step down adapter to step down to 1/2 that would be more common size socket most people have and work the Milwaukee on the smaller stuff you might be working on or at least be more use full than the big torque wrench.
I have to agree on buying one for lug nuts. Mine is used for my loader frame and other types of bolts. I use my 120VAC impact on lug nuts. I going to look into the Milwaukee 3/4 drive that may really come in handy on my M1078 truck. I went out and collected up my Metric Socket and wrenches I have way to many to carry in a big box. So when my truck comes I will do a bolt check and put back over 1/2 of them. I needed to clean off my work bench anyway. I did not even nick it much. I am only good for a hours work in this heat. I have over 48mm Sockets not sure how big stuff gets on the M1078?? Not sure why but my screw driver collection sucks? Could use some Snap Ring Tools to.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My quick search on Amazon shows 3 different classes of Tools for removing U-Joints. Searched for OTC 5190A U-joint puller (as indicated on Post #2) brings me to 3 size choices:

Class 4-6
Class 6-8
Class 7-8

So, I guess my question is - Can somebody say with authority what the proper size is for these trucks?

Attached picture is a product from a company in Memphis Tennessee. Possibly american made - but then again too - they aren't proclaiming that it is...

Heavy Duty U-Joint Removal Tool Class7-8.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there lefty tighten things on the newer M1078 ect? I know on the older M37 ect the lug nuts went both ways.
Anything budd pattern. Which means tapered lug nuts will have Left hand and right hand thread. This is not the same on hub pilot wheels such as the MRAP wheels. Hub pilot are easy identified by a lug nut with a washer behind it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mullaney 7/8 good choice covers Spicer 1610 and up.
Thanks Floridianson! I appreciate the confirmation. I was just not quite willing to buy one of each. Never needed them on a Deuce or 5-Ton. Since these M107x or M108x driveshafts appear more fragile - I am willing to learn something the EASY way. Thanks again for the info. I have one on the way. Figure I can sit in the shade of the truck and give it a test fit next weekend.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks