• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally bought a MEP-831a

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can this be causing any issues, this is a far as the thumb screw will go down. The adjustment screw is preventing it from going any further, it had lock-wire on it when i received it was cut and just hanging off of screw. So I removed it that piece of lock-wire that was just hanging.

20170706_200155.jpg
20170706_200145.jpg

Another Ahab

Can this be causing any issues, this is a far as the thumb screw will go down. The adjustment screw is preventing it from going any further, it had lock-wire on it when i received it was cut and just hanging off of screw. So I removed it that piece of lock-wire that was just hanging.
View attachment 688533
I see the hole in the screw-head for the tie-wire.

But what would that tie-wire would be tied TO?

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first 831 was exhibiting same symptoms, whole area was black around exhaust, also the wire was cut and linkage on mechanical governor bent. It is a tier 2 with 20 hrs and believe something was not quite right after rebuild. My electronic failed so never finished troubleshooting, but believe part of my issue could reside in the mechanical governor, as engine is unstable with electronic module unplugged.
It should be run quite happy and stable without electronic governor, but is not case with mine.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats where I was headed next. I would recommend pining the actuator in the full open position. Check your RPM under full load. Make sure you are spinning it fast enough to generate enough power. Its hard to tell by the sound in the videos if the engine speed is right.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you determining your load? Are you going by the meter on the unit or are you using an external volt/amp meter to calculate it?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, that is something to measure with a current meter. The internal power meters are set for a power factor of 0.8. That means with a pure resistive load they will indicate 80% of the true load. If you run it up to 100% on the meter with a purely resistive load you are actually running it at 120% load. At that level you will see a good bit of smoke and if your RPMs are not high enough you'll bog it down. After thinking about the video the scenario I am theorizing that your RPMs may be a little low and you are running it over 100%.

If you have access to a clamp on meter I suggest using it to set load. And measure your RPMs to make sure you are running in the right spot on the power curve of the engine.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True for conventional generators like the 002, 802, etc but the 831 is an inverter generator.
Frequency is maintained by the 831's inverter.
Thats true if you are taking the frequency of the power BUT if you look in the TM you'll see the procedure for setting up the governor and it shows you how to take the frequency of the PMA which is mechanically tied to the engine.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM says mechanical governor is set for 3750RPM, I think its been running at ludicrous speed. 317Hz at no load locked actuator 3,800 RPM is what TM says. Should stop at 3750RPM right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks