• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--FMJ--Ed Davis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE:
I'm sure the family has been occupied with the viewing today and are preparing for tomorrow's farewell. (I have not yet received a call from Cathy or the children.)

What I have gleaned from those with whom I have spoken who are aware of Ed's household/family situation, for all appearances, his untimely passing looks pretty devastating. Let us continue to pray for Ed's wife, his children, his aged parents and the whole family. Ed was the primary bread-winner and head of a multi-generational household. The void he leaves may be hard-felt in the coming days, weeks, months and longer.

From this, monetary donations presently seem like they will be more meaningful than flowers.

Others have already endorsed using the SS Benevolence Fund to funnel donations, however large or small, in the hopes of offsetting the loss of Ed's income into the family's budget. I encourage your generosity as an expression of your love and appreciation, your friendship and to give some hope in their time of loss and grief. Whatever is received by the SSBF as designated for Ed Davis or FMJ will go directly to them. Please be sure to include your SS Username in the comments of any E-donation or checks sent.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?71984-SteelSoldiers-Benevolence-Fund

Anyone wishing to send a personal note to FMJ's family can do so by following this link to the Funeral Home and choosing the SIGN GUEST BOOK option in the left column (Scroll DOWN just a bit).

Remember: "When one part suffers, we all suffer. When one part rejoices, we all rejoice."

Now for all you wish to participate:
Please synchronize your watches, clocks, or Smart Phones so that at the time of his interment at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery - 1430 hrs (2:30 pm ) Mountain Time (Wed. April 6th) - we might all take a moment to silently remember our fallen comrade. If appropriate, stand at ATTENTION for a moment and even render your SALUTE in a harmonious and respectful tribute to our friend. If you are quiet enough, you may just hear the echo of TAPS being played down on our southern border.....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have access today onto the site but couldn't post last night, not sure why.

Chief was an awesome guy and will be missed. Yet another huge loss to the world. We had some great discussions and he provided advice even for this old fart as I was transitioning. He loved his family and was quite proud of his girls. Fully concur with John on the multigenerational family situation. Unfortunately was not able to go to the funeral since I'm in PA right now.

Barrman

Kwai, Colton and I showed up at Ed's compound around sunrise after driving all night eight years ago next month. We were there to pick up a M109 and a pair of M101's Kwai had bought on GL and Ed had gotten off base. They weren't his, he was just the storage/middle man. Yet, he had checked all the tires, bearings and fluids. He also didn't like the starter speed on the multifuel. He pulled the starter, cleaned it up and had put it back on. I was just a driver in this deal, but I think he did all of this just to be helpful. Good man.

I have waited a few days to comment because this really hits home. I don't know what he died of but 52 is young. I am 48 and have a direct line 4 generations up of not living past 50. All heart attacks. I have spent the last 4 weeks getting just about every test there is done to break the chain. All looks good but they are going to do a probe to my heart next week. I really wasn't worried or concerned about it until this thread came up. I liked blissful ignorance better.

Ed will be missed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow Tim, glad to hear you are being pro-active. Leave colton my number, I'll advise him the best I can if you ever "move on".

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh, and I was just in his town for a week in January and February. I have pictures of a compound on Baylor Canyon Road with about a half dozen deuces (cargo A2's and 109's), CUCVs and trailers. One of the deuce cargos was for sale. Looked in GREAT shape with new winch line. I wonder if that was his place.

I ignored a prompting to post on SS to perhaps meet local members. I probably would have gotten to meet him. Don't ignore when moved upon by the spirit.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I talked to his family today. They are doing as well as could be expected. The Chaplain will be in touch with them also.

Ed helped a lot of folks out and he was a huge supporter of this hobby. Going to ask that if you can give to do so to the Benevolence Fund.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We may need a representative in the area to assist the family with Ed's motor pool so they know what they have and approximate worth if they need to sell some of it. I fret the idea of someone taking advantage of the Davis family during these difficult times.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We may need a representative in the area to assist the family with Ed's motor pool so they know what they have and approximate worth if they need to sell some of it. I fret the idea of someone taking advantage of the Davis family during these difficult times.

Yes, Sir. CARNAC has already opened this topic with Cathy and i will be following up with this and several other areas of concern.

At this time, as others have already encouraged, the generosity of this brotherhood is being tested. As for most middle aged folks, we think we are 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Unfortunately, Ed's untimely death has far reaching financial implications that Cathy, their teen children, and his elderly parents must now adapt to. While we don't at this time know specific details, (and most will rightfully remain private) the loss of Ed's income and benefits will be life-altering almost beyond measure.

I'm not going to sugar-coat this, troops. Your generosity toward the Davis Family will have more impact than blowing your spending money on a super-sized fat burger. We're asking you to dig deeply into your pockets for anything from spare change to wads of cash that we can put into Cathy's hands.

She has not asked for our financial help. They are still in a state of shock and disbelief. But the NEED is known to us. She shouldn't have to ask for the help we know she needs.

I'd like to extend my personal appreciation to those who have already sent moneys to the SS Benevolence Fund for the Davis Family. It's a good start.

Thank you all for whatever you can render.

John
SS Chaplain

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To echo Chappy's sentiments, this will likely be a long term burden to deal with. Even if you can't pony up today, keep this thought alive for a later date. I know how generous we can be but in this case, we either need to pace ourselves or have a few of us "adopt" some of the Davis' burden in days to come. Please continue to pray for this family.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking of Ed and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks