Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FLU419 transmission question

Private
    Thanks

Default FLU419 transmission question

I've noticed that my FLU419 is getting harder and harder to shift into 1st and 3rd gear. It doesn't seem to go completely into those two gears....it will pop out if I don't hold the gear shift. Is there a shift fork or some sort of linkage that can cause this? I drive the thing quite frequently and it has just started doing this the last few times. When in gear it drives fine.....its just tough to get it into the 2 positions towards the front of the cab (1st and 3rd gear). Any suggestions? I haven't taken anything apart to look. Thanks.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Our SEE wont go into 1st or 3rd either. It happened this weekend after using it. Have not had a problem with it for the 5 years or so that we have been using it. Now I just have to find time took look inside the transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by adavis View Post
    I've noticed that my FLU419 is getting harder and harder to shift into 1st and 3rd gear. It doesn't seem to go completely into those two gears....it will pop out if I don't hold the gear shift. Is there a shift fork or some sort of linkage that can cause this? I drive the thing quite frequently and it has just started doing this the last few times. When in gear it drives fine.....its just tough to get it into the 2 positions towards the front of the cab (1st and 3rd gear). Any suggestions? I haven't taken anything apart to look. Thanks.
    Andrew

1952 m38a1
    M998 x 3
    M1123
    1991 m923a2.
    1990 m925a2
    1990 m931a2
    Hemat trailer
    m1101 tan

And a bunch of Humvee parts.......

Private
    Thanks

Did you guys figure anything out? Mine won't go into 1 or 3 and now won't go into high range.

Sergeant
    Thanks

We have not had time to check the trans in ours. Im hoping its nothing major.
    Andrew

1952 m38a1
    M998 x 3
    M1123
    1991 m923a2.
    1990 m925a2
    1990 m931a2
    Hemat trailer
    m1101 tan

And a bunch of Humvee parts.......

4 Star General saddamsnightmare's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 949 Posts

June 1st, 2016.

Check your transmission lube oil level, if it gets too low, a Unimog can be a hellish machine to try to shift. Also consider adding some heavy duty manual transmission lube additive if it is low. Sometimes finding the dipstick and the filler can be an adventure.
    Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Cargo Unimog S404.114 "Helga" (after Haagar's wife!)

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 WoW "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce and a Half.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set "Rev up your C130 Here!".(It went to Perrin Field AFB Historical Society Museum at Dennison,TX.)

Private
    Thanks

I haven't had really any time to check into it unfortunately. I will check transmission fluid level this weekend. My unimog still drives fine and has no problems with the transfer case. It just feels like it doesn't want to "engage" in 1st or 3rd gear. If I hold it in first it moves fine, but it doesn't feel like it goes all the way into 1st or 3rd (2nd and 4th are fine). I just assumed that it was something like a bent shift fork. What transmission fluid does it take and any suggestion on "additive"?
    I've read that the FLU419 transmissions are different than any other Unimogs.....is that correct? And does anyone know if there is a way to get to the top of the transmission to open it up WITHOUT tipping the cab forward???
    Thanks.
    Last edited by adavis; 06-02-2016 at 18:05.

Corporal
    Thanks

If you want to get the top off of the transmission, you will be tilting the cab. No way around it. Once it is tilted, everything is easy. Had mine tilted for injector pump work.

Private
    Thanks

Soooo, I finally had a chance to spend some time on this, and I already have a question. The largest metric allen wrench I have in my set is a 10, and it is WAY too small for the transmission oil fill plug. I realize I need to buy a larger allen wrench, but does anyone know what size the drain plug and oil fill plug take? I've looked through the manuals I have but can't find a specific size wrench mentioned.

Private
    Thanks

FYI for any other SEE owners.....the drain/fill plugs on the transmission are 9/16" allen. I didn't have one that size, so I made my own out of a bolt with a couple nuts welded to it. Worked well. I stuck my finger in the hole (why can't they make it so you can see in there???) and the oil is low. I'll be adding more 80/90W gear oil when I get home tonight and hopefully that is all it will take to fix my shifting issue. I'm curious if someone can explain why low transmission oil will cause it to not shift into 1st and 3rd? Just wondering. I'll post as soon as I find out if this solved my problem......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adavis For This Useful Post:

rabbitjaeger (09-21-2016)

Private
    Thanks

So I put 1.5 pints of gear oil in the transmission and it doesn't seem to have improved my shifting issue. Anyone else have any suggestions or experience with this issue? It just won't shift in to first and third. If I push pretty hard, I can get it to ALMOST engage in to first gear. I can hold it in third and move the vehicle if I hold it in third with a fair amount of force. Second and fourth gears seem to work fine, and there are no noises when the vehicle moves. I'm assuming I will need to tip the cab and get into the transmission to check out the shift fork, but does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like there are a few of us that are experiencing the exact same problem so this could be quite useful information. Does anyone know of someone that has in depth experience with these transmissions that I might be able to contact?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast