Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FLU419 transmission question

Private
    Thanks

Coolhandmatt,
    Thanks for the tip, I was getting ready to tilt the cab when I found your post. $10.00 and 30 minutes later, it shifts like new.

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandmatt View Post
    One of the things you should also check before tipping the cab and diving into that project is the shifter bushing. It is the bushing that the shifter rides in and they do deteriorate with time causing the shifter to sit to low in the collar and then the shifter doesn't engage the shifter forks properly. You can get to it by pulling up on the rubber boot housing from inside the cab and then from the side sticking your hands in through the passenger side it will have a metal collar the detents down and putting downward pressure and turning it I think counterclockwise and it will let you release the shifter (BTW you need to disconnect the 3 airlines for downshift lever if you want to pull it completely out). You should have two guide pins on the inside of the transmission collar and they have to be removed to get the bushing out. Hope it helps
    This piece of information saved me a ton of potentially costly headaches. My bushing was shot. I had the same issue with 1st and 3rd. Now it shifts smoothly. But what a pain in the rear to get to. Thanks!

Private
    Thanks

My flu419 SEE is having transmission issues. The transmission with the 1st, 2nd and reverse is locked up. I've checked the transmission fluid and topped it off, still locked. The other shifter/transmission operates without any issues. Any help would be great. Thanks

Private
    Thanks

How do you access the shifter bushing?

Private
    Thanks

The upper boot was easy. The lower boot was a challenge to get the hose clamp off as mine was turned in a very hard to reach direction. 2 people would make it easier for the locking cup. One outside on the side and the other inside. I used a prybar and block of wood from outside to hold the locking cap down while I turned it. Someone inside could push down while outside person turns it. Yours may not be as tight of spring as mine. Pull shifter out of the way. I didn't disconnect air lines for bushing change, but all the way out would give more room to work. I put a rag in the shift hole so I didn't drop the pins into the trans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinemog For This Useful Post:

The FLU farm (07-06-2017)

Private
    Thanks

Could bad shifter bushings cause this: A 404 unimog that won't go into first, and the F/R lever is stuck in forward, but all the other gears are fine?
    Machine was shifting into first and reverse just fine before this started one day a couple months ago, oil level looks good, new clutch installed last year.

Shifter bushings seem like a good place to start before digging deeper.

I help a friend with his and it's hundreds of miles away so it's not convenient to figure out.

Private
    Thanks

So I've looked around could not find anything firm on what type of transmission fluidI should use for my flu 219. I saw somebody used 80 90 weight which I intend to do if no one replies to this.
    That is as soon as I find the fill plug it's kind of hidden somewhere I guess.
    Also does anyone know what transmission this is the manufacturer and model number I've looked in the manuals and can't find that information either.
    Any description of where the fill plug is would help too, thank you.
    Last edited by jjmjmn; 09-19-2017 at 19:21. Reason: Typo

Thanks

The fill plug is on the right side, not very cleverly hidden.

Private
    Thanks

Just got onboard. Thanks so much to coolhandmatt the bushing trick worked on our unimog. Was only getting 2nd and 4th gear. Changed bushing and all works great. For anyone else looking for any type of fittings for the FLU 419 I found a guy that can make anything. We had air brake problems and the fittings we could not find. Contact Collifliwer Total hose and fittings at 770-627-4611. They are located at 1890 west oak parkway Marietta GA these guys are the best. Once we got all the air lines cleaned up and new ones on it solved a multitude of issues. And that bushing coolhandmatt was referring too was a bitch but was well worth it. Also our front loader was giving us fits. It turned out to be a stuck hydronic sylinder shaft at the back of the cab.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Transformer68 For This Useful Post:

The FLU farm (10-08-2017)

Thanks

Welcome to the group, Transformer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast