• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80e stand alone controller wiring harness

kfrosty

I've been trying to search and haven't found a resounding answer. We're getting some 6.5 complete drivetrains with 4L80e transmissions. We are getting the controller boxes but wiring harnesses are cut. I've read most are going with stand alone controllers such as TCI. I think I'm going with the US Shift option as they are close by.

My question is though is whether anybody has used either TCI or US Shift, if the wiring harness plugs directly into the 4L80's that come in military vehicles?

I thought they did and I've seen some that claim they don't and I'm trying to verify with 100% certainty.

Thanks

richingalveston

I got really screwed by tci. Get the US shift controller it is much better and easier. My install was adding a 4l80e to the 6.2 in my 1009, not a HMMWV.

TCI is crap, don't waste your money

Augi

If you have the large harness connector on the military TCM, you can just make your own harness. I did it and it's been going strong for years.

I got the wire from Erik's.

panzerwillie

I did the swap om my M1010 with the US shift few years ago and it has being to Alaska and San Diego in those 2 convoys and works great with the US shift, the 4l80E i used came of a 6.5l truck after rebuilding with a trans go kit and deep pan has never had any problems....

kfrosty

US Shift sells the wiring harness. The question is does it plug directly into a 4L80e from a military vehicle. I thought the plug "receptable" for the harness was the same on all 4L80e's.

Dock Rocker

I have used microsquirt shift controller in the past. It's cheap and easy, as well as computer tunable. If you guys are familiar with megasquirt this is an offshoot of megashift.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

kfrosty

To anybody answering what you used, the question still remains did the wiring harness you got plug in to the existing connector or did you have to modify it?

Thanks

BLK HMMWV

Kfrosty
I used the TCI harness. It was several years ago.
To the best of my knowledge I had to replace the connector that went to either the throttle body / injector pump.
I can try and dig out my old harness and take a picture of the plug on the harness and see if it matches what is on a factory TCI harness.
Sorry that's the best I can offer.
I won't be able to take pictures till next week however.

Augi

There are only two types of connector for the 4L80e. GM and Jaguar. The military transmission uses the GM connector. It's standard and you don't have to mess with it. If you look on the stupid auction site you will find "repair harnesses" which consist of the connector with 6" or a foot of flying leads.

Augi

Jon0249

Can't answer your question, but can give a plug for US Shift. I replaced my mil TH400 with a civ 4L80e and am totally happy with it. You'll love it. Jake at USS is superb. I sent him a HMMWV profile with shift points that they'll be adding to the standard templates. Good luck.

hahnmgh63

Old thread but I'm thinking about going with the US Shift unit. Any suggestions on options. It is the Quick 4 right? Do you need the double brake pedal switch? I have the detuned 6.5NA so I will need to add the TPS? Anything else?

Dock Rocker

Old thread but I'm thinking about going with the US Shift unit. Any suggestions on options. It is the Quick 4 right? Do you need the double brake pedal switch? I have the detuned 6.5NA so I will need to add the TPS? Anything else?
Quick 4 is correct. No pedal switch and yes you will need a TPS.

You will need to run a switched power relay so the controller comes on with the ignition switch.

You will need to find a dry place and way to mount the control software.

Do you have a trans, 4 speed shifter, crossmember and converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a post somewhere in the last 2 months where someone said they cracked the programming necessary for a stand-alone 4 speed controller.

Not sure of the computer unit he used BUT he seemed super psyched.

When I asked what he needed and installed re.: tranny parts and such, he told me it was a lot of work and he did not recommend IIRC. Jon0249 seems to have had a different experience, so ask him, although his last post was 05-31-2018.

I will be doing a 700R4 truck tranny. Not as robust but no computer gobbledeegook. As I will not be heavy duty crawling I think a 700R4 will be fine for occasional camping and mild off road.

T

hahnmgh63

I got a used 4L80E from Eastern Surplus off Ebay with the crossmember. The guy who removed it from a cutup HMMWV was an idiot though. Tranny itself seems to be in good shape but.... Won and auction for a new Military Surplus 4L80E w/Converter from Govplanet. I'll use the new tranny & sensors and a couple brackets and crossmember from the old one. I have a new 4spd shifter, 242 transfer case, and a new rear driveshaft. Still need the front driveshaft.
My M988 has the 6.5NA from Depot but still with the 218 transfer case so I'll swap to the 242 to make it all easier. I appreciate the reply. I'd like to get it all done before summer.
Did you use the Mil TPS or an aftermarket or GM one?

Jon0249

I got a used 4L80E from Eastern Surplus off Ebay with the crossmember. The guy who removed it from a cutup HMMWV was an idiot though. Tranny itself seems to be in good shape but.... Won and auction for a new Military Surplus 4L80E w/Converter from Govplanet. I'll use the new tranny & sensors and a couple brackets and crossmember from the old one. I have a new 4spd shifter, 242 transfer case, and a new rear driveshaft. Still need the front driveshaft.
My M988 has the 6.5NA from Depot but still with the 218 transfer case so I'll swap to the 242 to make it all easier. I appreciate the reply. I'd like to get it all done before summer.
Did you use the Mil TPS or an aftermarket or GM one?
I used an aftermarket TPS I did have to modify the cross member, but no big deal I also swapped in s 242. Nice to have the 2WD option. The naysayers warned against it, but 20k miles later, I'm still happy 🙂

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used an aftermarket TPS I did have to modify the cross member, but no big deal I also swapped in s 242. Nice to have the 2WD option. The naysayers warned against it, but 20k miles later, I'm still happy 
Does the 2wd afford any benefits or is it just there?

I posted about this and then decided against.

Curious.

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks