• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

SturmTyger380

Disconnect all the drive shafts before flat towing a M211 / M135 more that 5 miles. Failure to do so will run the rear pump in the transmission and will cause the transmission to fail. (Was designed to allow the truck to be push started.)

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only advice I can give is never back up when the tow bar is hooked up. With hendersonj's expertise, the towing of my 211 went pretty uneventful.

1944mb

Disconnect all the drive shafts before flat towing a M211 / M135 more that 5 miles. Failure to do so will run the rear pump in the transmission and will cause the transmission to fail. (Was designed to allow the truck to be push started.)
Really, these trucks can be push started with an automatic? That's awesome. These trucks seem harder to get to know then a m35, these have some many little secrets, no wonder they are the Cadillac of deuces. It was also recommended to me to back the brakes off. I was planning on pulling the diff side of the drive lines, securing them. Back the brake off. Obviously check the differentials for good clean fluid top off if necessary. It is mainly all back roads I can use to get home so I won't get in too big of a hurry.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it is done-Just picked up a M211 about 40 miles from me. I haven't exchanged money or title, but the owner said he would hold it for me, so I still could be jumping the gun. I am planning on retrieving it Tuesday, so pictures to follow! I owe USMC 00-08 the thanks for watching craigslist and letting me about it! Now just gotta get it home. I was actually thinking of using my m35 to tow it. I ordered a med tow bar for it. Any advice for me?
I'm so excited for you buddy! I fought with the drive-shafts on my M211 to pull them...mind you it was minus 20, in the dark, in a snow storm....Make sure you've got big tools and a snipe pipe in-case you need some leverage. Take some liquid lube....spray it on,....soak and smoke...then remove. Always good to have a soldier B with you to bench-press them down. G749's always love attitude so take some of that with you too.
Another G749 save...good on ya!

1944mb

One other question I have-are the brackets on the front bumper, where the tow hooks reside-are the pins that hold the hooks, are they 1" pins or 15/16" pins? On my m35 they are 1", but I have concern that they may be 15/16". If so I'll have to machine some sleeves into the 1" pinned feet that I have to make the tow bar work. Just don't wanna get all the way out there and realize that my 1" pin won't fit In a 15/16" hole.

USMC 00-08

That is probably what I would do. I wonder what the +/- tolerance on those pins are? I didn't have any to measure. In other words is a 1" pin really 1" or is it undersized to whatever to fit in a 1" hole?

1944mb

That is probably what I would do. I wonder what the +/- tolerance on those pins are? I didn't have any to measure. In other words is a 1" pin really 1" or is it undersized to whatever to fit in a 1" hole?
Measuring the m35 pins I came up with an average of .990". The openings on my bumper brackets were about .005-.010" larger, so they were pretty darn close tolerance I would say. Granted both had rust on them, and my caliper battery was dead so I measured the pin opening using the caliper and then used a micrometer to measure that image.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the pins from one of my M35's to attach the... Hmm, drawing a blank here...them thingies that attach to the tie-down ring mounts and the tow bar. Anyway, they fit good with minimal play and I got the 211 home with zero issues. It was roughly a 10-15 mile journey.

1944mb

The tow at came in today by way of Jasonjc from the classified section-I can see why it is rated for 39,000lbs. Put off recovery till Thursday as something came up

Attachments

1944mb

Well finally got the old dog home. I would've sent you guys some arrival pics, but would've needed a night vision camera! What would be a 40mile trip turned
into a backroad trip of 60! My flagger lady had an unexpected meeting, so I didn't wanna risk too much traffic, relative to Montana that is, without lights, especially as it got dark. To say the m35 impressed me would be a gross understatement! Some of the 'county roads' in this area I traveled through were more like deer trails, and we hit a patch of deep sand that had me scrambling for the front diff lock! The truck felt like 'Mater' on the movie cars when he pulls his wheels from front to back like a dog crawling, trying to get traction.

The convoy past through a small town(about 10 houses here in Montana) where their vfd had their trucks out-4 m35 and what I thought was a m211. I was rolling pretty good at that point. Told the absent flagged lady that we needed to go explore those other trucks, she thought we were good on the exploration of trucks for the distant future!

I will take some pics of the tow bar setup, but highly recommend having one. Even if you would prefer to load a project on a truck, it would sure be nice to have if one of your trucks broke down. The kid I bought this from always really wanted to get this project running and drive it, but never did. So naturally I offered to take him in the m35 which he quickly took me up on-you know had to spread the disease, start the addiction!

All in in all it was an uneventful very enjoyable operation-more pics of the truck to come this weekend! The more I use these vehicles, the more I realize they are pretty much awesome! Got a number of waves and thumbs up, one wave the individual was so excited I thought I had lost a set of duals or something!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks