• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

jasonjc

The last of them. Happy to report that this truck was saved. He had some offers on it, but many for people
looking for a 302 for racing or the axles!
The 2nd M135 I bought off ebay sold 2 or 3 times. The seller told me the buyers wanted the axles until they found out they weren't rockwells.

1944mb

The 2nd M135 I bought off ebay sold 2 or 3 times. The seller told me the buyers wanted the axles until they found out they weren't rockwells.
jasonjc, thanks for tow bar, worked awesome! I tried posting something on your classified page for a testimony , but it wouldn't let me. I just used 7/8" pins to hook to the bumper. I unhooked the feet to check for wear, and after 60miles of gravel, they showed little wear. I have been told, by a dealer In Salt lake that these axles are sought after for a certain potato harvester. Can't speak for the truth of it

1944mb

Working on getting this stuck 302, unstuck. I knew buying this truck going into it that it had a stuck engine. Two owners back the guy drove it home and parked it. The kid I bought it from said it was stuck when he bought it and he tried freeing it up, that #2 had some rust. I put some seafoam spray into all cylinders, and have been letting it soak for a couple weeks, also put marvel into the cylinders. Thought I broke it free, but it was getting tight after half a turn on the crank, so I pulled the valve cover to make sure valvetrain was free-no movement. So I figured I had broke a key on the timing set, and the cam was seized. Turns out the key on the crank pulley busted. So while removing the crank pulley, I noticed 4 of the six shouldered bolts were broken-anyone know where to get any? And secondly what has been everyone's best fluid for unstucking a stuck engine? The crankcase oil looks really clean, the antifreeze looks brand new. The engine is painted a ford grey-like the color used in the 80s/90s on ford trucks. I am thinking this truck was well taken care of at one time. So I am thinking this stuck with the exhaust open to the elements. The intake valve is open. Any thoughts?

Attachments

1944mb

I am also curious about the necessity of the hub in six pic over, the one that bolts to the pulleys. It has a keyway going nowhere. I would assume that is used to connect to a front winch? If that be the case then I would assume that there is a winch radiator, and a non winch radiator? Not sure just speculating

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the bumper is cut. Did it have a snow plow or a fire pump on it at one time? Is there a hole in the radiator?
The winch was driven from the PTO on the side of the driver's side of the transfer case. A 2 piece shaft powered the winch. You should see a hole in the cross member on the driver side below the radiator where the shaft passed through.

1944mb

The fan shroud is cut, but the radiator is still intact there. I was a little confused as to why the shroud would be cut, with the radiator being in place behind it. Okay thanks for the clarification on how the winch is used on these.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BOLT

Not sure if any of this will help but the best I could come up with is (6) 5/16-24NF x 2 11/32 7411701 ......MFR's part # YT-2194196....FSN 5305-741-1701 . . . . all in the photos. By the looks of the schematic it's bolt- T. If it's something different, poke me with a stick and I'll look it up for you.

P8280854.jpgP8280853.jpgP8280852.jpg

As for the keyed pulley in the front, cool. Don't see that in the schematics so......That's funky. Did the Fire Department(s) run a shaft off the 302 crank to drive a front pump? Is that even possible? Am I asking questions instead of giving answers?

P8280851.jpg

When I set the valves last time I pulled all the plugs and the 302 rolled over real easy just pulling on the fan. I don't have any better oil suggestions other than what you used so let's hope your repairs work for you and she'll loosen up by the time you bolt things back together.

The truck looks real nice, congrats on the new baby.

USMC 00-08

I would check with McMaster-Carr for that bolt if you haven't already found some.

For the stuck engine, if what you have in there shows no sign of working, I would try Kroil. I've used it to free 150 year old seized gun parts with success. Pretty sure your truck hasn't been stuck that long.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

1944mb

I will check on those shouldered bolts. I have heard good things about that company just never looked. Kroil may need to be an option. I really think this truck was well taken care of, just had moisture get into it. Tranny fluid looks great. I'll dig out a bore scope, blow that oil out of the cylinders and see what we have in there. Does kroil eat metal at all? I guess obviously not if you've used it in firearms

USMC 00-08

Not that I am aware of. I did not notice that it ate anything away, but it sure penetrated some rust that had been there a long time caused by corrosive blackpowder. That was on an original US Model 1861 Springfield.

SturmTyger380

The only engine I got unstuck I took the head off and let PB blaster sit in a puddle for days on the piston heads. It was a flat head so where the valves were open I kept spraying those too. I got movement by using one of those plastic shot filled hammers on the piston tops.

When I got the pistons moving slightly I kept PB blaster on every thing and rocked it back and forth using the crank pully nut until I could get a complete revolution.

Those stuck pistons have much more resistance than the pully nut can overcome.

1944mb

It's been kind of slow making progress on the old m211. Pulled the lower pan and can see rust in #3 cylinder. The rest look good. Got tired of driving back and forth, so the troops and I moved it up to the shop. We discovered that it's a two woman job to steer a truck that is being pulled! Looks so nice in he driveway!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks