• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

1944mb

There is a 135 bed at the Welding Shop in Cheyenne. I don't know it's condition but it is a 135 bed as near as I can tell. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. I talked to the guy who owns it and the adjacent 211 bed. He's looking to get $500 or so for each.
That'd be great Jeff thanks! Are you needing the 211 bed? How's the projects coming?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I'll need either one. Between my two trucks I should be okay for sheet metal. Haven't done anything to them all winter cause it was too cold. If anyone is looking for a bed I can point them in the right direction.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Transmissions

Are we still itchin' with the fishin' ambition for a transmission mission? I think I'd bring down the one with the bellhousing so it's heavier and more difficult to slide into your truck. We know that they're take-outs, won't know the condition until you take it apart.

20170405_173325.jpg20170405_173300.jpg20170405_173335.jpg

1944mb

Yes sir,
When would work well for you. Just need to get a few things in order first. Life was easier when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada! Shouldn't take too long, just need to renew it-you know just pay money!! Either of the beasts would be awesome! I'm sure they are light like a Honda Civic trannny right?Also got those soft top pieces from 08.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How soon are you guys talking about meeting? I might be up visiting 1944mb in July.
Well then,,,, I may hit Medicine Hat in the next few weeks but there's also an opportunity for me to be in Lethbridge July 1. I could throw the brake parts in the box and thin out the stock a little.

Still trying to talk you kids into stamping a passport and coming North......but a meeting in Montana sounds fun too. Let's see what's best for the 1944 family......and did you know that Canada holds 60% of the World's fresh water resources in the form of crystal clear lakes, rivers and streams!

1944mb

IMG_2734.jpgIMG_2735.jpgIMG_2736.jpgIMG_2745.jpgWell finally made it over to inspect the 135 and not much left other than a rolling chassis. I'm thinking I'd like to take that 207 with the ruined frame and take two trucks to make one. Gas tank on this was in great shape. The motor turned freely and drive train was in fairly complete condition. Missing the flywheel inspection cove
r. IMG_2740.jpgIMG_2738.jpgIMG_2742.jpgAlso spied a pretty nice m105a2 trailer in the yard with a DoD of January 1956 and the remnants of a cckw or 1 1/2t chevy. Excited to finally have the snow gone and start making some progress-well snow gone for now anyhow

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
302 GMC removal

That gives me a whole bunch of confidence that we're using the right machine as an engine hoist. The front tires on the skid-steer aren't even working. The fork looks real handy too and we can use it to cook hotdogs after the work is done. Great job! Really got to feel for the guys that use an engine hoist to do a pull.

Thought I had a cross-over pipe for you but it was rotten too so I'll keep looking. Do you have pieces laying around for a pattern if I can't find any decent parts?

20170509_201936.jpg

1944mb

I cant imagine using a cherry picker-the skid steer is stable enough to be able to maneuver a little bit in the process. It would seem that if a person wouldnt be able to use the standard engine hoist as this setup is fairly heavy....I'd opt for a diesel rated hoist if I was to go that way. And yes, I'm too cheap to buy pallet forks for mine, so I just use the hay spear.

When we went to visit 08 he gave me a spare cross over pipe as a pattern. I have a good pipe coming off the manifold. I'm missing the stack piece I think...I'll have to go check to be certain. I prefer the longer stack like what goose has anyhow

1944mb

I was digging through some of my WWII manuals and jeeps stuff and look at what I found. I'll have to read and digest some of it when I get A minute. Also found some info on Clark and warner transmissions

Attachments

1944mb

Just gonna let everyone know USMC will be up to Montana to visit the week of July 4th. We plan to work on the 211, hopefully find time to recover the m207, and m135. And basically work on the G-749. Anyone is welcome to join us. We have one day when we are going to Yellowstone to play tourist, and one other day that we have stuff going, both of which I can post exact dates. Did not know if would like to come visit and mess with the G-749, tell truck stories or whatever. We are in Big Timber, MT 59011

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just gonna let everyone know USMC will be up to Montana to visit the week of July 4th. We plan to work on the 211, hopefully find time to recover the m207, and m135. And basically work on the G-749. Anyone is welcome to join us. We have one day when we are going to Yellowstone to play tourist, and one other day that we have stuff going, both of which I can post exact dates. Did not know if would like to come visit and mess with the G-749, tell truck stories or whatever. We are in Big Timber, MT 59011
Let me know what your schedule is, will get the motor home fired up and if all goes well will be up. Need indirections.
Merle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks