• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Skid Steer Wheels For FLU419?

kombisutra

I have a low ceiling height application for my 419. One solution is to rent a smaller machine, however, I own the property and will need to operate in the area under this house for some time. If I can drop 5 inches, I'd be golden, 10 inches would be optimal. BOLT PATTERN is the question. I'd like to change out the standard disc brake wheels for any smaller identical pattern wheels, preferably from a Skid Steer. Any savvy operators out there able to confirm same bolt patterns on smaller wheels? I realize going much smaller may interfere with the brake assemblies, but this is for me to discover.

Alternatively, I might consider buying some low profile solid skid steer tires if I could find a size that would fit the stock wheel. I do have a second set of stock wheels too. Thanks for your input.

profo

You will have to reuse the original rims when I was going to try to use mrap rims and make a adapter for them with 365/20's tires on them, I keep running into a brick wall you see the original rims have a large offset that actually goes around the disc brakes and if you just have a flat plate where the wheel studs are the plate will hit the caliper for you to use a different rim you will have to make a offset type adapter which would kinda look like a solo cup with a plate on top, thats the best description I can give. I needs about a 1 1 /2 offset out to clear disc brake setup.

Marty

Last edited:

Speedzilla

I'm not aware of wheels other than your current wheels or other Unimog wheels that will work. Your bolt pattern is 6 on 205mm. There aren't many vehicles that use this pattern. About the only vehicle I am aware of would be a Sprinter 3500 Dually. They are 16" wheels, could run them "backwards". Though now that I think about it I wouldn't expect them to have more than maybe a 2500lb load capacity. They can be had cheap if you hunt around however, might be able to make a set of wheels using those centers. Not sure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Origina...ash=item3ab2dbaeab:g:rIsAAMXQVT9TFlCY&vxp=mtr

kombisutra

Thanks for the great info both of you guys. Marty, the 1 1/2 offset, is that a typo? Speedzilla, your info on the pattern is key, and I now know I'm looking for 6 on 205mm. The Sprinter wheel link and information is interesting too, but I side with you that those wheels would likely fold. One would think there would be at least one European tractor running the same pattern, but the offset, like Marty has found, may be a challenge.

Starting to think that for the slow site work, simply mounting small, heavy, 20" truck tires on the stock 20" rims may actually be the easiest solution.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had missed the need for a bulge in the wheel center to clear the caliper (just in time, thanks profo!) but do know that the minimum ID in the wheel's drop center is 17.25 inches for the calipers to clear.
Also, the factory backspacing is 10-1/8 inch.
Looks like I'm onto plan B, widening the stock wheels.

four_by_ken

Custom wheel centers are not that expensive... use whatever size rims you want that way, as long as you can get the shell to put the wheel center in.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to call a place that (most likely) can and will build a set of 20x14 wheels for me, but want to be sure that I can get my hands on the tires of choice first.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not booty fab a low profile set of tires by sourcing a extra set of rims and welding on segments of angle iron or square tubing to act as tread?

Rick

Special T

There is a 20" low sidewall tubeless Tire that would fit a 20x11 qxqqv 315/55d20 Blackstone OTR brand about 33"od. These tires would likely have to be spun onto a unimog wheel with a semi truck Tire changer.

Special T

I am not sure of all of thier facilities but they have them in Pennsylvania, Rome Georga, and here in Washington state. I'm certain you could send them wheels to have the tires mounted to. Hope this helps

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I had not come across that one.
Maybe with the high ground pressure of a SEE, that tire could work. Based on my experience with commercial tread on tractors, the traction is pretty dismal compared to a regular R-1 Ag tire.
They'll last a lot longer on pavement, though.

Special T

These tires are in a standard directional skids there style tread. Should have plenty of load carry capacity and traction. Because of the small sidewall they won't have much flex.. the tires probably aren't cheep but it does make it possible to get the height dropped you asked for.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got an email confirming that my 39x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker tires are on their way.
I have run the Pitbull Rockers on my Jeep since they first came out, and I'm extremely happy with them.
With the wider tread the SEE won't sink as much on soft ground, and being bias ply, the sidewalls are much stronger than a radial's.
Now it's on to the 20x14 wheel quest, and from what I've learned, Stazworks is about to make Unimog SEE worthy wheels.

four_by_ken

Just got an email confirming that my 39x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker tires are on their way.
I have run the Pitbull Rockers on my Jeep since they first came out, and I'm extremely happy with them.
With the wider tread the SEE won't sink as much on soft ground, and being bias ply, the sidewalls are much stronger than a radial's.
Now it's on to the 20x14 wheel quest, and from what I've learned, Stazworks is about to make Unimog SEE worthy wheels.
Try these two places... probably cheaper than Stazworks and just as good.

Dave Woods made my rims for my truck, as well as a lot of others for friends.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...CGCtSGom__ilt7xPg&sig2=UxMdps6WQeV5Pqg3A2CPkw

If you use Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/WlidTimeFab?fref=ts

Luke at Red Barn Customs does all kinds of wheels too.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...UK7UIgyk1G-LHw_LgHP6CA&bvm=bv.126130881,d.cWw

If you use facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/Luke.Mud.Walker?fref=ts

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave unfortunately only has flat wheel centers, which won't fit a SEE without using wheel spacers. Red Barn's website shows flat center wheels, too.
Losing the hub centric function of the wheel is not something I'm willing to do.
So for now, my choices seem to be Stazworks or widened stock wheels.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your only need for low profile tires is to drive straight into the garage, how about railroad-gauge wheels, and no tires. Make a 'rail' bed out of end to end 2x4's.

Unimog wheels as used for railroad switchgear are so narrow that they sell cheap.

Seems like a lot of tire changing just to garage your Mog so maybe I misunderstood :)

Oh, nevermind, I just reread the original post. I'll leave this suggestion for the next person who DOES just wants to drive into ,a garage, like for service or storage.

Last edited:

peakbagger

The person I bought my 1300L from doesn't have tall enough garage, he bought wide low profile sports car tires from a used tire place and they are mounted on standard unimog rims. When he needs to work on the mogs in the garage, he swap to the sports car tires.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did the tires work out?
If you mean the 39x16.5-20 Pitbull Rockers, there's no comparison to the original Michelins.

In the limited snow testing I did (wet, but hub deep) they did as well or better than the Michelins with chains. Simple ladder chains, but still.
Haven't done much driving in regular dirt yet, but that's about to change soon. On the road they're much nicer.

Ended up widening stock wheels by two inches, by the way.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks