• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Title Issue

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting reports here in Michigan that the Secretary of State is canceling registrations and recalling titles for some later model MVs, if title not returned within 15 days of notice to be changed to ORV title, the title will be canceled.

It appears they are going after cetain MVs by way of vin number search of registrations.

I have notified my state senator that I am not happy with this. All Michigan MV owners need to contact their state reps.

Last edited:

undysworld

Bob,
Seems that some folks are already moving on this. I'll forward the link of this thread to the fellow I talked with last night. I'm also going to pm you his contact info. Good to see you fellows are on this early.
Paul

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,
Seems that some folks are already moving on this. I'll forward the link of this thread to the fellow I talked with last night. I'm also going to pm you his contact info. Good to see you fellows are on this early.
Paul
Yep the owners are on the front lines of this issue, the rest of us MV owners need to get behind them!

Last edited:

74M35A2

Hi Bob. Thanks for always pulling for us, I will contact my rep. Do we have any official sections of non-compliance we can quote, or an example of such letter? Is there anymore detail, such as they don't meet bumper height requirements, etc....? Also, do we know what any of the target vehicles have been so far? What is the worst case resolve, register it out of state such as Ohio? That may be a quick work-around, as an example, if this somehow gets shoved through.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has boiled down to just the ones where there is some discrepancy, i.e. incorrect year, model, being listed as Hummer & not Am General, etc. With any M998 getting the most scrutiny.
Just be sure to dot your i's & cross your t's as the saying goes.

skpromotionsllc

Force Multiplier
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First step would be to visit your local sec of state, with the title and insurance card. This will cause some confusion for the ladies behind the counter, as the VIN will not match their system. Don't let them tell you no. Ask for a document enabling local police inspection of your vehicle, fulfilling both the front and back of the paperwork, and return to the sec of state with it fully completed and signed off by the Dearborn Hgts police. Also, make certain your insurance documents match the vehicle VIN. You may need to made several trips to the sec of state, but in the end, you will prevail. Use the sec of state appointment app - no waiting :). Good luck, Cheers!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First step would be to visit your local sec of state, with the title and insurance card. This will cause some confusion for the ladies behind the counter, as the VIN will not match their system. Don't let them tell you no. Ask for a document enabling local police inspection of your vehicle, fulfilling both the front and back of the paperwork, and return to the sec of state with it fully completed and signed off by the Dearborn Hgts police. Also, make certain your insurance documents match the vehicle VIN. You may need to made several trips to the sec of state, but in the end, you will prevail. Use the sec of state appointment app - no waiting :). Good luck, Cheers!
If you have a SF-97 and BOS you don't need a inspection in michigan .

dunedigger

Michigan Title warning

It's no surprise Michigan will not issue an on road title, or an assembled vin for any hmmwv. However it wasn't clear to me if they would allow an existing on road title to be transferred to Michigan. If you work before and after the Lansing secretary of state office hours it can become a challenge to contact a real person with average wait times over a half hour, you may wait, loose the call, or simply not have time to wait any longer. There is also a problem with the speak response automation. It accepts any noise in the phone such as wind, hammering, talking to someone without muting the phone, vehicle noise etc as a "invalid response" after 4 attempts it seems to hang up on you and time to start over. You would think making a phone call would not be such a challenge. So, I made a stop at the local sos office, sure no problem if it already has a title. So I purchased an M998 from Indiana with an on road title, obtained legally and ok'd with Indiana. I had no problems at all getting a plate and registration. Insurance was no issue, my insurance agent was happy to insure it, knowing full well what it was, I had triple checked before I bought it. I had been driving it on the road for almost two months. Not a daily driver but a short trip kind of thing once in awhile. My intent to own it was to use it off road at the local orv park, however did not want to trailer it to take the 6 mile trip there. I would not have bought it if the sos said no. Waiting for the title, I received instead an error message, revoked plates and an off road only title. I did call and make the time to wait on the phone, I was told I should have called first before I bought it. It all seemed too good to be true. It was. Just a warning to all present dreamers, in Michigan, it is not going to happen.

Last edited:

ryanruck

It's apparently a hard concept for some people to grasp that motor vehicle laws differ from state to state.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks