• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 Canadian 2 1/2 t with a pile of NOS Parts - Part I

Mattech

It was a MERRY CHRISTMAS day today, thanks to Peter and Craig who helped load the truck and parts... totally amazing and fun day. As you can see by the one pic"s of Linda(wife who steered the truck up onto the trailer) Dave(m1010ployboy) and myself(Mattech) and also Stavros on the trailer and Dan who drove the push tractor, it took 4 hours to load the presents, everyone was well feed from the Haybox(yes we used a real Haybox for our food that we brought up for the guys, with BBQ chicken and fried chicken, egg salad and potatoe salad, buns and drinks)... it is going to take a bit of time to go through and catalogue all the parts for sure.
Well she's on her way to a new home near Edmonton as I'm typing. M101plowboy, Mattech and entourage drove the 3+ hours up with three trucks and trailers to get everything. I think we're all surprised at the amount of NOS parts that came with it. I'm glad it'll be put to good use. Enjoy the pics! A lot of the small stuff was packed in totes before the camera came out. I suspect you'll see another post on this treasure chest as soon as they go through it all. A quick summary of what I seen:
NOS
Manuals for every component on it including the operators manual.
1 x steering wheel
2 x running boards
1 x Grill
1 x Muffler
Asst exhaust pipes
6+ drive shafts
Steering components, cross links, tie rod ends
3-4 Axles shafts
Hub
Steering knuckle
Front springs x 2
Generators x 2
Seat covers
2 x airpacks
4 x park brake bands
park brake drum
4 x brake shoes
Exhaust manifold
4 tires on rims
Window regulators x 2
2 x hood prop rods
Bumperette
Oil bath air cleaner assembly
Lots of those dog bones or walking beam things that go on the rear diffs
Transmission parts that I don't recognize, Tourus or something and others.
There's enough seals, gaskets and parts in bags and boxes to even list
New steel wheel for the front of a water buffalo trailer or kitchen trailer

The truck itself came with three replacement diffs and a bunch of rims and used tires. It apparently ran when parked and has a working winch.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double PTO G749 NOS parts Preservation

My big question is there a market for NOS parts or will I be stuck with them due to their abundance?
Can't thank you enough for making it all happen Peter. So many things had to fall into place for this to work, it's a little overwhelming. It's been a long day so we'll just give up a departing pic for now.
P5080302.jpg

Section8

Totally awesome!!
Its great to see another recovery of an old truck and an abundance of nos parts!
I am very sure they will be well catalogued and put to use on proper restoration projects.
I am totally green with envy.

Foxtrot Oscar

"Well Done" (!) for a great save. Congrats to all involved! And especially to the vendor for the realistic pricing which, I'm sure, helped make the preservation of usable parts a viable option. Looking forward to the on-going restoration story.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold Lake G749 Recovery

We're going to keep the story of the 52' on its own page so we can tell the previous owner's (PO) back-story as we get it.

This truck was built by family members after they acquired it from Southern Alberta. Having a winch and needing power for the dump-box, they added a double-drive, power take-off PTO.

P5080304.jpgP5080305.jpg

With the heavy modifications, it's not easy to get it back to original so we'll document and photograph its current status before she helps a bunch of other trucks get out of the bush.

Somehow, three G749 collectors had the 'right stuff' to do this recovery at the right time and the PO had the toys to help.

P5080259.jpg P5080271.jpg

We even had military veterans with a ton of heart and soul to help get the truck loaded up and strapped down.

P5080268.jpg P5080272.jpg P5080273.jpg

It was a long day with a few construction photo ops from the tail gunner's point of view. We were very happy and maybe a little delirious when we finally got back to the truck's new home, that we thought we found a bazooka.....but it's just a brand new, old stock exhaust pipe.

P5080312.jpg P5080314.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Parts Preservation

The PO was truly the master of preservation with all the parts, keeping most items in the original packages and keeping them dry, yet moist and delicious.

The pricing not only made it possible, it made it affordable to take the long drive and get the prizes in the safe hands of a veteran. With all the stars lining up just right, this was a masterful MVPA / Steel Soldier connection that would not have occurred without huge hearts and the Steel Soldier's website.

Thanks again to the mods, the founder and all the kind folks that made this all come together.
ευχαριστώ

P5080291.jpg P5080276.jpg P5080277.jpg P5080278.jpg
P5080279.jpg P5080284.jpg P5080287.jpg

P5080294.jpg P5080297.jpg P5080274.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What? No breakage? No "oops, we..."? No personal injuries?

CONGRATS! lol
Everyone on the crew had a ton of experience getting smashed to pieces in the past so we decided to let this trip go smooth. We are a bit Pre-paranoid so we did follow some basic safety principles.

A) Don't put your pinky where ya wouldn't put your winky.

B) Tractor operator put his hands in the air, away from controls, until the rigger gave him clear hand signals.

C) We used over-sized slings and chains, applied tension before lifting, then I used my opera voice to yell, clear.....repeated by operator, prior to lifting. We delegated rigging and hoisting to 1 guy only and never questioned his plan, until it didn't work, then the next fat guy had a chance to figure it out. The rest of the team was to only there to provide support and would only be allowed to stand and shake their heads back and forth for no, up and down for yes.

D) Anything over 50lbs was a 2-person lift. It takes 4 1/4 people to carry me.

E) We had a girl with us to organize things, drive the truck and tell jokes. Including the girly, we had almost 90 yrs of military service within the recovery crew.

F) We had to use a knife to open some packages, so we "cut towards our friends, not towards ourselves".

G) Frost beats the snot out of our roads so we double up straps and chains and checked the loads every hour.

H) We all got lucky the night before.

Today we did the truck and heavy parts offload with the help of an M135 as anchor and T190 as puller. Had a chance to look things over but only got a few pics. Block and tackle and a few more snappy pictures coming.

Some kid went and put graffiti on the tire.

cel cold lake 010.jpg

Its a 5/7/56 baby.

cel cold lake 012.jpg

Its got my favorite number on the dash....19. I always thought that the first two numbers of the CFR were the year of the delivery date so something tells me this door is missing a truck.

cel cold lake 011.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks