• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a MEP-831A to standard generator

OverkillTASF

No identifying info on the connector that I can see.

Re: the maintainers, that seems like a good price for a decent solution. If I can get this bit done!

The parts guy at Northern Tool implied that "all" generators have the same type of connection to the panel and that this connector should be the same on any generator. Not sure how that helps me, but I've perused a few common generator parts diagrams and haven't really been reassured. Even if it is the same it's part of a $100+ wiring harness.

Attachments

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try generatorguru.com
I've used them before to get parts for repairing consumer generators.
They do list a number of Northstar Generators and list parts for them including power connectors like the one you are looking for.

They had an interesting hint on their website regarding replacing the power connector....
"Also good for replacing blocks that cannot be matched. If the existing connector block has 6.3mm tabs, just press the tab on the top of the brass tabs and pull the wire from the back. The wire will come out easily and fit. To fit to the new block just insert."

Sample replacement connector - Generator Guru

OverkillTASF

Yeah, 1659201: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...5477?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECEIVED-_-707-_-CONF

From the parts diagram the guy said that 781829 is the generator-side of that harness, and that the panel-side isn't orderable.

I think my options in order of preference are:
1 - Find a connector that works. But without a part number that seems unlikely.
2. Pull the terminals out and put them into a comparable connector that I have both sides for. But I don't have a comparable connector on hand, and I doubt I'll be able to find one with same format terminals.
3 - Cut this connector off and put on a new one, but there's already not a lot of wire to work with.
4 - Disconnect this from inside the generator head (if that's even possible) and put on a new one. But I'll have to pull the engine assembly out again to get at it.

OverkillTASF

Submitted a help request to them. I think. Will see if they have a sick fix!

The "universal" connector they've got is cheap like I'd expect, though the 4 wire doesn't look quite the same as this one. Possible the pins are the same... and if they aren't, well, time to get the loppers.

OverkillTASF

They wrote back and said the pins were the same... so I ordered one of the connectors. Pulled the pins out of my connector - they're sliiiightly larger than the ones included with their connector but I think a wee mashing with the pliers fixed that. Just ordered a terminal block from mouser to wire this to (504-TB345-05 and 504-X31905), gonna find some decent wire for the job, then I'll connect the head to the terminal block, and then swap around the wiring as needed to get 120 volt across both windings. Utterpower sure talks about that a lot but never actually says "here's how". Then the output from that terminal block will be out the same path as it was from the power module; I suspect I will need to disconnect some sense wires from other terminal blocks further down the line.

I noticed my outside power terminals, the big ones... two of them are missing their nuts, cages, and the little wedge that actually clamps the wire. These aren't in any way a standard part I'll be able to find... are they...

If I get it all running and generating power again... and you haven't sold them... I'll definitely buy your battery tenders.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3KW, 5KW, and 10KW machines should all have the same size nut/wedge. I have some of these available used if interested.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know. I went by the TM seeing S-38615-G5 as the manufacturers number, which on Part Target is called out for the three sizes I mentioned. Maybe they were referencing a different machine (MEP-016D, MEP-701A, etc) in the same KW class. Good to know from someone putting a set of eyes on it for certain.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am building 4 more Governor Controller kits for doing the MEP-831A conventional head swap. Includes custom electronic Governor Controller to maintain 60 Hz, wire harness, load sensors, restores Overload detection, Load meter operation. Includes installation hardware, installation instructions. Gen head not included.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there still a source for the gen head?
Yes. Northern Tool dropped the one that was popular.
A place replacement heads can be purchased from is Mecc Alte
I've installed them and they are 99.9% the same as the Norther Tool one. Just a bit shorter in length which makes installation a touch easier.
Here is the model that I've used when replacing the Inverter/PMA in 831's. It's a 4.2 KVA Head.

Contact info at Mec Alte:
Tom Weber
Managing Director

Mecc Alte Inc
1229 Adams Dr
McHenry IL 60051 USA
T: +1 815 344 0530
F: +1 815 344 0535
E: tom.weber@meccalte.us
Gen Head Ordering Info Invoice.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks