• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus 6.5 Engines from Humvee's?

Brogman

Since the military is getting rid of the Humvee are there some surplus rebuilt engines out there. I want to replace my 6.2 with a 6.5 GEP converted to normally aspirated after it fails. Thought I would look for a deal and put it away for the future. I have looked but don't seem to see any. I know you need the oil pan from the 6.2 and exhaust manifolds. It's for an M1009. Will the intake from the 6.2 work on a 6.5 to make it NA? I want the mechanical IP too not the electronic. Pulleys and belts etc. I wish there was a guide for this, maybe there is I just haven't found it. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Verify this but it should be mostly accurate. Exhaust manifolds should interchange. Intakes will not. The center mount turbo has the bolts for the intake at a different angle. Oil pans may not interchange either. I remember Stonepicker1 going through that. If you are using an engine that had a serpentine belt and going to v-belts, you will need a new water pump as well, different rotation.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many NA GEP 6.5L out there. I bought two from surplus. Both where bad. One thru a rod and the other had zero pressure on a cylinder. Both where from GL.

Stonepicker1

Since the military is getting rid of the Humvee are there some surplus rebuilt engines out there. I want to replace my 6.2 with a 6.5 GEP converted to normally aspirated after it fails. Thought I would look for a deal and put it away for the future. I have looked but don't seem to see any. I know you need the oil pan from the 6.2 and exhaust manifolds. It's for an M1009. Will the intake from the 6.2 work on a 6.5 to make it NA? I want the mechanical IP too not the electronic. Pulleys and belts etc. I wish there was a guide for this, maybe there is I just haven't found it. Thanks.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66745-Dually-M1028A2-South-Florida-Rebuild

The 6.2 oil pan will not fit the GEP 6.5 ( I thought I had to swap them also just to find out they are not interchangeable) The GEP oil pan worked out find.

Brogman

Thanks Wheelspinner. I am just looking for the engine. Already rebuilt the rest of the drive line. Thanks to all for the info. I definitely am looking for a GEP NA 6.5. Thanks for the GEP oil pan info too. It looks like you can keep the 6.5 exhaust manifolds too you just have to have a muffler shop build you the rest of the exhaust system. Can you put the 6.2 pulleys and fan on as well as the alternator/power steering brackets from the 6.2? I see the water pump has to be changed. I am 12 volt so I think I have to swap mechanical IP electric parts with 12 volt ones. I think the Humvee is all 24 volts not sure though. Again thanks for all the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only time you have to change the water pump is if you are going from a v-belt to a serpentine belt setup. The brackets will fit both engines.

The sensors and the fuel shutoff will need to be changed due to the 24v humvee setup.

Brogman

Thanks! I forgot to ask about the starter. If I have an electronic IP I will change to mechanical. I thought I read the fuel lines from the pump to the injectors are different too for mechanical verses electronic.

Zeke

DO you have NSN numbers or other information to help locate a GEP 6.5 drop in ready? I have a 2004 H1 that had the engine compartment has been pillaged. Looking for a drop in ready to roll and wiring harness to boot.......A difficult find without a manual and the NSN nomenclature at my fingertips.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO you have NSN numbers or other information to help locate a GEP 6.5 drop in ready? I have a 2004 H1 that had the engine compartment has been pillaged. Looking for a drop in ready to roll and wiring harness to boot.......A difficult find without a manual and the NSN nomenclature at my fingertips.
No H1 parts will be in military TMs.

Zeke

H1 info

2004 H1 K12 Am General serial 212293.jpg
No H1 parts will be in military TMs.
Can you direct me as to where to find a manual, specs and so on. This unit has been pillaged. Top end removed as they had injector pump issues and a bad wiring harness. They surplussed it as it was they way they took it apart. Basket case. AM General build, GEP 6.5 Turbo Diesel, GM 4 speed automatic. Body Style 55 of which I have not found the spec on either. Any direction to find information is greatly appreciated so we can salvage this unit for public service again.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 779543

Can you direct me as to where to find a manual, specs and so on. This unit has been pillaged. Top end removed as they had injector pump issues and a bad wiring harness. They surplussed it as it was they way they took it apart. Basket case. AM General build, GEP 6.5 Turbo Diesel, GM 4 speed automatic. Body Style 55 of which I have not found the spec on either. Any direction to find information is greatly appreciated so we can salvage this unit for public service again.
I highly recommend repairing what you have. As you know, H1s have computer controlled engines and the 4L80E transmission control is integrated. Everyone had problems with the Stanadyne injection pump back then. Now there are remote kits to move the electronics away from the intense heat of the engine valley. I would check out the Hummer Parts Guy website for H1 parts. I have H1 manuals that I can copy sections from and send to you. You are fortunate to have a GEP engine!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks