• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Shaft removal for towing FMTV

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
In addition to that , if it runs just start the engine for a couple minutes to lube the trans and tow again. I seriously question going 100 miles, more like 30 miles as I recall.

twrecks

are they easy to pop back in? I'm considering having my LMTV towed a few miles to get it off base then driving it home because they wont let you drive it off the lot
Very easy, at least mine were. pulled them out then towed my 1078 three and a half hours home, popped them right back in, topped of differential oil and good to go.

twrecks

I bought an M1078 from a guy three hours away for my towing business. I may have a bit of an unfair advantage owning my own tow truck and I own a bobbed M925 but I am new to these trucks and I researched here how to pull the axles so I could tow mine home. The information made it a breeze. I took a big pipe wrench, a 4" long 3/8-16 bolt. and a drain pan we use for pulling axles on semis with me and was shocked at just how easy this was to get the axles out of, and it was just as easy to get them back in. literally 10 minutes on each end. I'm used to having to use a sledge hammer to get axles loose sometimes. It was so easy I was thinking to myself "ok, what's the catch". Now I only pulled the rear axles because I was able to lift the front off the ground but I will say that if you plan to flat tow one make sure you have a stout vehicle with GOOD brakes. This is my 16 ton work horse, I was able to tie into the air system to release the brakes and actually use the rears that were on the ground to help slow down when needed, this truck is a beast but I could definitely tell the 1078 was back there. Thanks for the info ya'llm1078.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the transfer case have a neutral, so it does not turn the Allison from the rear end?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no it is a planetary differential, always active
Then even though it is turning the output of the Allison and the back end of the tranny, it is not turning the engine side with the pump to stay properly lubed. With no pressure, the Allison may not know what clutch to engage. Maybe it could try to go into two gears at once... just speculating.

Myself, I like the idea of taking the axle shafts out and only turn wheel bearings.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
do not over complicate this. allison says you can flat tow it for 30 miles at 30 mph. I am sure they left plenty of room in this. also with no pressure how can any clutch engage?

Third From Texas

Semi-related: I picked up a little tow bar the other day.

Surplus has them for about $1500 (not including the box of included "goodies"). Too rich for my blood.

This wasn't though...

It appears to be the full kit. Never even seen a NOS full kit before.

*I've masked any indication of which planet it was acquired on.

:)

Untitled.png

a78aac35-e246-4295-8eee-871573e7964f.jpg

a79a3d3a-eaf4-49d0-a38b-4f19c8e29a24.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Third From Texas

I know.

And I used on for the last LMTV recovery with no issue. :)

And I have one that is missing feet (which is no longer an issue so I can toss a set on it and find it a new home).

But this is mostly for moving trucks around the yard and flat towing my prerunner to the beach.

Will suit my needs perfectly.

But the box of feet?

That was sort of worth the $190.

:p

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know.

And I used on for the last LMTV recovery with no issue. :)

And I have one that is missing feet (which is no longer an issue so I can toss a set on it and find it a new home).

But this is mostly for moving trucks around the yard and flat towing my prerunner to the beach.

Will suit my needs perfectly.

But the box of feet?

That was sort of worth the $190.

:p
Ha I wasn’t poopooing the baby towbar, that’s all they had back in the day for 50,000 lb loaded 5 tons etc. I have used my baby one forever without issue on 5 tons. But I have seen many in the DRMO scrap hopper twisted into a pretzel.

WassawBound

I bought an M1078 from a guy three hours away for my towing business. I may have a bit of an unfair advantage owning my own tow truck and I own a bobbed M925 but I am new to these trucks and I researched here how to pull the axles so I could tow mine home. The information made it a breeze. I took a big pipe wrench, a 4" long 3/8-16 bolt. and a drain pan we use for pulling axles on semis with me and was shocked at just how easy this was to get the axles out of, and it was just as easy to get them back in. literally 10 minutes on each end. I'm used to having to use a sledge hammer to get axles loose sometimes. It was so easy I was thinking to myself "ok, what's the catch". Now I only pulled the rear axles because I was able to lift the front off the ground but I will say that if you plan to flat tow one make sure you have a stout vehicle with GOOD brakes. This is my 16 ton work horse, I was able to tie into the air system to release the brakes and actually use the rears that were on the ground to help slow down when needed, this truck is a beast but I could definitely tell the 1078 was back there. Thanks for the info ya'llView attachment 804844

Do you think you can also do this with the 6x6 with the brakes cage? I'm buying a non running truck and I need it towed 50 miles and placed in my driveway where I can begin to inspect it. I have no clue how to get it into the drive without being under it's own power.

James

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you think you can also do this with the 6x6 with the brakes cage? I'm buying a non running truck and I need it towed 50 miles and placed in my driveway where I can begin to inspect it. I have no clue how to get it into the drive without being under it's own power.

James
The TM's call for a speed limit and maximum distance for pulling the truck without removing the drivelines. Caging the brakes is nothing more than releasing the shoes that are being held against the brake drums so your truck will roll.

BIG CONCERN is that if your truck has no gear oil in the differentials, being dragged 50 miles could "smoke" the bearings. I understand that money doesn't grow on trees, but it might be smart to investigate cost on towing it to your place. Several hundred bucks would be cheaper than the potential damage.

Last edited:

WassawBound

The TM's call for a speed limit and maximum distance for pulling the truck without removing the drivelines. Caging the brakes is nothing more than releasing the shoes that are being held against the brake drums so your truck will roll.

BIG CONCERN is that if your truck has no gear oil in the differentials, being dragged 50 miles could "smoke" the bearings. I understand that money doesn't grow on trees, but it might be smart to investigate cost on towing it to your place. Several hundred bucks would be cheaper than the potential damage.

Yeah the brakes are already caged. Either the brake system is broke or the soldiers started robbing parts from it. It's missing the cans on a couple drums. I was going to have a tow company or transporter get it home 50 miles. One axle is pulled already. I imagine it was towed in and left that way.

The question is, how to get it backed into the drive way? Is there anybody near St Augustine that has the tow bar that could help back it in?

I still have all the EUC to deal with. Who knows what my delivery date will be.

coachgeo

IMHO best not to clutter a sticky that typically became a sticky/Pinned to the top, due to pretty specific helpful information. Otherwise yeah... asking questions in an old thread; on same topic, is typically best place to do so. Sounds like now that you're just looking for backing it in help.... that is a whole new thread anyway

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks