• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

progress on injector nozzles

nevrenufhp

I've been digging in to different nozzles, and injector settings(pop pressures) to get these engines to perform and keep EGT down. The ones I have found are not a direct bolt in. All the good ones went in the Ppump equipped engines. The solution lately has been to buy a whole injector, and swap the parts to the old body. That's what I did with member DWC. The original setup is a 4 hole nozzle, and pop pressure(fuel wont spray until it hits this pressure) is around 214BAR. The new ones are for a 300hp Ppumped 8.3, and they are a 5 hole with 300BAR. Yes, the MW pump can run pressures much higher, but this is a comfortable pressure for daily driving. Upon initial testing, idle speed a tad low, slight lopey idle when it's cold, the power was a little less, but it was still on close to stock fuel setting. Once the nuts were backed out: much more responsive, the power was more than before, EGT was not getting over 1200(loaded uphill at 60mph), and only light haze at full power. These were chosen just so we could have a stock replacement style. Still waiting on mpg report.
I have another 2. The biggest is the 480hp marine injectors, which actually are about 360hp in these pumps. You cant even order these nozzles in the aftermarket, complete injector, only from Cummins. The other is a 420hp, which should land in the 340hp range. They are also for a Ppump, so it all has to be swapped over, unless I start getting more 5 Ton cores to work with. They look identical, except the nut on top for the fuel line is a little smaller on the MWpump equipped. It's going to be like a Stage 1,2, and 3. Stock turbo on stage 1. For stage2, I'm looking at an HX50. The stage 3 will need an HX50 for a non-towing rig, or a '55 for a hauler or mud runner.

Keep us informed. My buddy and I are messing with ours. we have made pump mods and partial exhaust mods but will be going bigger exhaust soon. we also are in the process of putting MRAP radiators/intercoolers in our trucks.

74M35A2

Very exciting! Can we reach further by swapping over to a P pump? Also, could you at least attempt to quantify performance gains? For example, a simple timed 0-40mph run for each iteration. Stock injectors/stock pump settings, stock injectors/increased injection pump metering, then ......? Would be great marketing data for you. Thanks for your work on this. Any opinions of EDM'ing or Extrude-Honing our nozzles? Not sure it makes sense if our pumps can't flow it though....?

nevrenufhp

Swapping to a Ppump will throw all these power numbers off by a lot. They would be the actual 300,420, and 480hp(with supporting air mods). Huge gains in power to snap every drive train component.
Honing the stock nozzle is not that great because of the 4 hole spray. They just don't atomize well at all. The MW can flow a decent amount, but not to make over 400hp.
If anyone lives near me, I'd be happy to work out a deal with labor and experiments, so we can get the performance differences.

Csm Davis

Swapping to a Ppump will throw all these power numbers off by a lot. They would be the actual 300,420, and 480hp(with supporting air mods). Huge gains in power to snap every drive train component.
Honing the stock nozzle is not that great because of the 4 hole spray. They just don't atomize well at all. The MW can flow a decent amount, but not to make over 400hp.
If anyone lives near me, I'd be happy to work out a deal with labor and experiments, so we can get the performance differences.
So here is my question what setup would be best for 375-425 range? Ppump with 420 injection and hx 50 and intercooler? Or push the mwpump? Looking for typical over the road use not race use.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

The MW can make that kind of power, just not as easily as the Ppump. The MW would need the fuel nuts removed, and run the 480 injectors. The Ppump with the 420s will burn cleaner(less haze).

nevrenufhp

I got the new nozzles in. They are a 5X.0157". I also got some that are 5X.015, where the stock ones are a 4X.011". They have the better spray angle to keep the spray off the cylinder walls. I think I'll be selling the first set in the next week or 2, so we will see the results pretty soon. He's also going to spin an S366 turbo. It's on a 4X4 M923A2.

grendel

I am interested. We turned up the timing, pump timing and fuel on my motor.

Nozzles are next, happy to be an experiment.

nevrenufhp

I am interested. We turned up the timing, pump timing and fuel on my motor.

Nozzles are next, happy to be an experiment.
Send me your injectors or some cores. I only have bodies for a Ppump. I rebuild em, put on the new nozzles, and balance the pop pressure.
On a side note; I also have a junk MW pump coming my way. I'll be working with a buddy I grew up with that's a precision machinist. We are going to see if we can make either adapters or turn down the OD of 12mm plungers from a P7100 pump....or bore out the 10s to 12mm to work in these poor little MW pumps. All of this also depends on being cost effective, since you can get a good used Ppump for $500.

grendel

How much differance did the timing make?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Night and day.

Send me your injectors or some cores. I only have bodies for a Ppump. I rebuild em, put on the new nozzles, and balance the pop pressure.
On a side note; I also have a junk MW pump coming my way. I'll be working with a buddy I grew up with that's a precision machinist. We are going to see if we can make either adapters or turn down the OD of 12mm plungers from a P7100 pump....or bore out the 10s to 12mm to work in these poor little MW pumps. All of this also depends on being cost effective, since you can get a good used Ppump for $500.
I don't have any cores right now to send. I have two operational trucks with 8.3L's that can't be taken down right now. Happy to send you good working ones, once I swap in some new ones.

My brother the Cummins master tech says no way on swapping plungers on the MW. No way am I swapping pumps. I want to stay within a Cummins spec.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks