• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Fuel tank ?

1951M1078

Why is their a relief in the fuel tank ? I can see the spring hanger but that is only a foot or so long.

Would like to up the capacity to 100 gal. +- with a custom tank, but the relief has me wondering .

Also the space where the oil tank for the winch goes,maybe a smaller tank ? That is just behind the drivers mud flap and the battery's .
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:

coachgeo

Locate all your fluid tanks, storage bins, battery, air tanks in a manner that balances the weight left right and for and aft as best as possible. Point is how MUCH fuel you can get onboard is not just limited by where you can stuff a tank. Then there is the High Center point (for lack of better term) where things are more vulnerable off road.

1951M1078

Ah, the relief in the fuel tank, if you had a winch it would be apparent, the cable routes there.
Thanks. I built the model and didn't install the winch because the one I was looking at didn't have one. Makes sense.

Will need to look into how much could be added to the take if it was added to the cutout ?

Can the tank be cut and added to or does it have a sealer inside it ?

Randy

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Just add a second tank somewhere. I have good used tanks with the pickups and senders it easy to make a switch (between 2 senders) and valve to switch tanks. If you want a smaller second tank one off a m931 tractor is not quite as wide.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Randy, a good way to add fuel capacity is to add another FMTV fuel tank. There is an interference issue with the front spring hanger but that's easily resolved by cutting out the corner of the tank and welding in a plug. There is no liner in the tank, and it's a simple aluminum TIG weld. This has been done before by others, but here are pictures of my installation.

The added relief was done at the local welders for a couple hours labor, including pressure testing the welds. I bought the hangers from the same source as the tank. Both had been removed from a parted-out MTV.

Several other pictures were not included but I'll follow up on next post.

Bob

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concerning balancing the load, not an issue IMHO. The other side of the truck has the big batteries, the drop-box of the transmission, both drive shafts, and both diffs. There's so much excess capacity on the LMTV, why worry.

Adding the extra two tank support brackets does require drilling the frame. None of the abundant holes associated with the missing winch will work. A mag drill would be a good tool to use, begged, borrowed, er, rented.

The 'relief' area of both tanks is too good to not use. My truck is getting a camper and I want extra water, so a long section of PVC pipe is going in the opening under both tanks. The brackets are already there!

Lets see if the pictures come through:

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Concerning balancing the load, not an issue IMHO. The other side of the truck.....
Good to know... weight wise. Wonder about hitting it..... then again it's not going to be a Rockcrawler and Bob's owned more than most largeish offroad trucks so it's sure to be a good mount spot.

Nice fab work on the tank too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks