• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever put a 353 detroit in a m37...

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0543.jpgi have a chance to get one that runs one and was wondering the pros and cons. its already in a m37 frame.. no sheet metal on it.. i have the sheet metal... go any faster... i personally love the bark they have..still would like to know who put it together originally

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only two things I could see as a problem is its NOT original to the truck and I cannot stand the screaming racket from that little Detroit!
KK

im in luck it has a 5 speed and i believe the gearing is 489... im all in on this baby... have to do some wheel cylinders and stupid crap but it will be a nice project... hopefully the deal happens...its already in a m37 frame.. someone did a nice job putting it in

Last edited:
this is in a m37 frame already with a 5 speed trans... .. i know it won't be a speed demon but i think it will be fun to stuff my sheet metal on it.. run a few wires and run it.. it will be different for sure.strait pipe up the side no muffler.. oh ya you will here me coming for sure :recovry4x4:

CGarbee

PoW on this site has one that he converted back in the '80s... Great little engine for a conversion as long as you keep in mind the noise and that it has been a long time since Detroit supported them directly.
I considered one back when I installed the Cummins 4BT into my truck.

USMC4302

Just a thought about supportability -- If you live near a Plain Community (Amish/Mennonite/etc) you will probably have a few 2-cycle experts who will be more than able to help you keep that Green Leaker screaming for as long as you want it to. Lots of 53 and 71-series support out there, but you have to look for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks