• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got my LMTV trailer home today. Only mishap was starting out, I left the parking brakes on the M1008 and couldn't figure out that the trailer brakes were in fact released/caged. After pulling loose from the trailer and still dragging, it hit me.

I plan on pulling it with the SEMTT. Would love to figure out a way to have a dump bed with it.

Before I get chastised, the towing capacity is a mixed bag for the cucv. This trailer weighs about 7k lbs. Yes, the brakes were caged. Yes, I was relying on the trucks breaking abilities. Yes, it's not optimal and has risks. But I allowed a WIDE gap ahead of me and kept it under 60. Also, most of the journey was gradual hill climbs and almost all 4 lanes. The truck did fine, of course this is subjective to a number of things.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh yeah, the last home pic looks like the truck is squatting bad, it's not, front end was on the incline of a hill.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly I'm quite impressed with it's towing manners. I expected it to sway and bounce a lot due to height/weight. It tracked wonderful.

Shark Bait

I towed mine from Georgia to West Virginia and didn't know it was back there. The LMTV feels it a little in our mountains but it does track great. I picked up a second one out of Columbus and brought it home with my Duramax. No problems.

trooper632

Were the brakes caged already when you picked it up, or did you have to do it... Or is there a manual brake release that does this without adding air to the chambers?

st8drumz

Hey folks, new to the site and owning military vehicles and need some help/advice from those of you who have hauled these trailers before. I've got 2 of them (1082's) to move about 500 miles. Towing with a deuce. Been trying to find a flatbed trailer big enough to move them both together but have had no luck in finding something like that for rent. GOVPLANET guys had the idea to stack one on the other and cinch the **** out of it. Not an ideal situation for sure but looking like the only one. 2 questions - 1. thoughts on putting a 6800 lb. trailer on top of a 5000 lb. max payload trailer (are these rated like the duce and a halfs - 2.5 ton off road/5 ton on) 2. thought of trying to fit one on the back of the duce but the 96" wide wheel base is too wide for the deuce bed. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey folks, new to the site and owning military vehicles and need some help/advice from those of you who have hauled these trailers before. I've got 2 of them (1082's) to move about 500 miles. Towing with a deuce. Been trying to find a flatbed trailer big enough to move them both together but have had no luck in finding something like that for rent. GOVPLANET guys had the idea to stack one on the other and cinch the **** out of it. Not an ideal situation for sure but looking like the only one. 2 questions - 1. thoughts on putting a 6800 lb. trailer on top of a 5000 lb. max payload trailer (are these rated like the duce and a halfs - 2.5 ton off road/5 ton on) 2. thought of trying to fit one on the back of the duce but the 96" wide wheel base is too wide for the deuce bed. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
I believe they're closer to 7200lbs. So 14,500 to be safe on towed weight. M35A2 is rated for 10K towed weight, but can tow a little more. (Flat towing another deuce is common) Then there's the question of your license, most standard licenses are only good to 28K. You're going to be right there on it.

Now for the stacking question. I would not trust stacking two of these trailers together and towing as they're very tall. Maybe put one in the bed of deuce with the tires off and tow the other one. (Put the tires in the towed bed)

It's going to be risky no matter how you stack it. Safest way would be towing them one by one. Or paying to have it hauled on a flatbed.

st8drumz

I believe they're closer to 7200lbs. So 14,500 to be safe on towed weight. M35A2 is rated for 10K towed weight, but can tow a little more. (Flat towing another deuce is common) Then there's the question of your license, most standard licenses are only good to 28K. You're going to be right there on it.

Now for the stacking question. I would not trust stacking two of these trailers together and towing as they're very tall. Maybe put one in the bed of deuce with the tires off and tow the other one. (Put the tires in the towed bed)

It's going to be risky no matter how you stack it. Safest way would be towing them one by one. Or paying to have it hauled on a flatbed.
How is taking the tires off with the central inflation system? Any idea the width of the hubs with the wheels off? Would it even fit "inside" the bed? Hauling 7200 and towing 7200 would be better, I agree. Does anyone have a high-rez pic of the data plates with the tie-down and dimension schematics? If so, would you mind posting? Thanks in advance!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can get a pic of it if someone doesn't have one handy this weekend or so. I'll throw a tape on it too.

st8drumz

Thanks guys, you've been unbelievably awesome. I think I'm just going to opt 2 go with two vehicles in one trip. Talking to a friend of mine who has hauled in the states I'm going to be traveling and I don't feel like dealing with overzealous Ohio State Troopers and possible overload or wide load tickets.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One more question for y'all. How do I cage the brakes on one of these trailers?
You'd use the cage bolts in the pots to cage them. Hopefully they're still there. I can get a pic if you need. If you're pulling one with a deuce, don't cage the brakes, just hook them up.

st8drumz

Just need to do one as I will be pulling the other with the deuce. Trying to borrow a friends flatbed for the other so the other truck will have brakes but in the event i'm not able to, I would need to know how. Pics would be great. Thanks so much! Also, for pulling these back home, do they need to be pre-registered/plated? Is having the title enough to transport? Never done this out of state.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
uploadfromtaptalk1470663303102.jpg

Just remove the t bolts on the cans and dust covers, install the bolt in the opening and twist it into the pocket. Then tighten the nut until the brakes are free.

As to the tag questions, you'll need to check with the states involved.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, for pulling these back home, do they need to be pre-registered/plated? Is having the title enough to transport? Never done this out of state.
All states are different but if MI will issue a temp tag based on your invoice then other states should honor that. In TX I just go to the DMV with my receipt and tell them I need either a 30 day Temporary Tag or a Transport Tag. Unfortunately, while the Transport Tag is cheaper, it's only good for a 3 day window. If you can get a 30 day tag you'll have wiggle room on the time frame and also be able to move it legally when you're home during that period.

st8drumz

Ok, got the legalities figured out. Since I've taken to basically monopolizing this thread, here's one more. I was under the impression that these trailers are 8 ft. (96") wide. Govplanet says they're 7. Other site says 8. Which is correct? Mainly interested in wheelbase.

st8drumz

Also, patracy, here are the pics of the cans from the website. Are you able to tell if they have the t bolts? Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for all the questions but 9+ hours from home is a long way if I don't bring what I need with me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks