• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got the legalities figured out. Since I've taken to basically monopolizing this thread, here's one more. I was under the impression that these trailers are 8 ft. (96") wide. Govplanet says they're 7. Other site says 8. Which is correct? Mainly interested in wheelbase.
Corner to corner of bed is 95". Add another 1/2" on either side for bed hinges, reflectors, etc and call it 96" (8') total. Width at the wheels is pretty close to width of the bed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

gottaluvit

How is taking the tires off with the central inflation system? Any idea the width of the hubs with the wheels off? Would it even fit "inside" the bed? Hauling 7200 and towing 7200 would be better, I agree. Does anyone have a high-rez pic of the data plates with the tie-down and dimension schematics? If so, would you mind posting? Thanks in advance!

So to cover this quote part first, they do not have CTIS. Govplanet is incorrectly listing these. I have kindly sent them a letter letting them know they are going to eat a few ironclad guarantees if they don't fix it, but they keep listing them incorrectly. It is just a CTIS ready wheel. I got my first one off a fellow ss member so that is how I learned before buying my second M1082 off of them.

However, my main question is did you get the trailers home yet?

st8drumz

Got the trailers home last week. Thanks to everyone for all your help. Put one on a flatbed car hauler behind a pickup and pulled the other with the deuce. Only problems were with the deuce's fuel system for 2 days. The in-tank pump started takin' a crap on the way back makin' the high pressure pumps overwork. Spent two days chasing what I thought was a fuse blowing problem only to discover that it was a loose connection (not visually obvious) with the plug going to the fuse box. Got some issues with leaking injectors that I have to investigate. Anyone good with deuce engines? Also, any suggestions for loading ramps for the trailers?

gottaluvit

As for the ramps, I think fabbing them up would be different depending on which version of the M1082 you have. There are two different types of boarding ladders on these trailers. My older one has little slots that are external for slipping the boarding ladder into, which is very convenient for using the ladder and having the ability to do so without dropping the tailgate. However the slots could never hold more than a couple hundred pounds so ramps may be tougher to make for that trailer. Now the newer one has square holes IN the bed that get exposed by pulling two pins (for each side) on the back of the trailer which drops two plugs about three inches allowing the boarding ladder to drop into these square holes. I think a set of ramps could be made to drop into the square holes like the boarding ladder does. The newer one has these holes on both sides to accommodate placement of the boarding ladder on either side and the older one only has the slots for the ladder on the right side of the rear. However the square holes are on the far sides so one would have to make the ramps wide enough with more material toward the centers, being most vehicles you would haul on the trailer would not have such a wide footprint as the trailer itself. I took some pics of the newer style to include the lower pins before and after pulling them and dropping the plugs, and of the ladder itself. I don't have the older one here at my house so I will take pics of it's ladder setup later and add them. I suspect the newer style ladder would come with any that also came stock with LED lighting. Both of mine have four brake chambers, so I don't know about that being different on any model, but it may be. My older one also has round lashing rings while the newer one has oblong ones. Maybe someone will share pics if they have one with only two brake chambers.

IMG_4766.jpg IMG_4767.jpg IMG_4768.jpg IMG_4769.jpg IMG_4770.jpg IMG_4771.jpg

gottaluvit

Ok. Was at location where my older M1082 trailer is and remembered to take pics, even though it was dark. This is the setup made for the ladder that has no way to use for ramps. The last picture of the bottom of the ladder shows it doesn't touch the ground making it nice to move around the yard while leaving the ladder in place. The photo of the pin is the rigup I used with parts found at Rural King. I put the pin in and then insert the clip in the hole closest to the pin's head. Sorry, no pic of it inserted as my phone dropped battery power too low to flash after the hanging pin photo.

Both styles of the ladders have pros and cons. For ramps, however, you need the newer type.

20160916_223624.jpg
20160916_223651.jpg
20160916_223709.jpg
20160916_223825.jpg

Last edited:

jjb

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I was thinking of picking up a 1082 with my duramax. I was wondering what kind of tongue weight these things have? Were you able to use the existing trailer lights with some adapters? Do I need 2 or 4 caging bolts? Any other tips or towing it home?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used cordless magnetic tow lights. Stuck them to the rear bumper thingy.

Empty, the tongue weight won't be excessive. I don't remember what it is.

Go slow, leave plenty of room to maneuver and brake. And keep in mind you're illegal...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I was thinking of picking up a 1082 with my duramax. I was wondering what kind of tongue weight these things have? Were you able to use the existing trailer lights with some adapters? Do I need 2 or 4 caging bolts? Any other tips or towing it home?
They're not light. Post #12 has the details you seek.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?154213-M1082&p=1905392&viewfull=1#post1905392

Hopefully you'll be able to pull it level. If it's not, the tongue weight will increase. I'd recommend magnetic towing lights. You'll need 4 caging bolts, hopefully they're still on the trailer. Remember, no brakes, and 7K lbs behind you! I left 1/2 a mile ahead of me at all times. Which honestly was excessive. But this isn't exactly the "right" way of moving these trailers.

FloridaAKM

I still have a M-1082 sitting in North Carolina waiting for a fellow SS member to pick it up. The trucking company that was supposed to get the first one stiffed me & luckily, Wes pulled it off base to avoid storage fees. I didn't bid on 2 more yesterday that went for a paltry $400.00 each with cover cages, in good plus shape, before fees because of not being able to recover them.

f8617

...Were you able to use the existing trailer lights with some adapters? Do I need 2 or 4 caging bolts? Any other tips or towing it home?
Perhaps helpful suggestions -- when towing M1082 trailer w/ 1-ton truck:
To connect to M1082 trailer lights use Hopkins adapter #47405 7-round to 4-flat, but bring magnetic tail lights just-in-case.Zip tie to doors & pin gates to prevent accidental opening/unlatching.
Zip tie magnetic tail-lights (if using) thru hole in each mudflap, with lights mounted on rear bumper.
Hilift jack just-in-case truck hitch is too low.
Caging bolts use special thread, so regular 1/2" nut will NOT work.
M105 trailer crank handle works, but u need to make an adapter from ~5/8" (i.e. inner diameter of M105 crank connector matches ID of M1082 crank handle connector) diameter tube or rod w/ small diameter bolt/pin holes ~3/8" from each end.

majorgunho

I still have a M-1082 sitting in North Carolina waiting for a fellow SS member to pick it up. The trucking company that was supposed to get the first one stiffed me & luckily, Wes pulled it off base to avoid storage fees. I didn't bid on 2 more yesterday that went for a paltry $400.00 each with cover cages, in good plus shape, before fees because of not being able to recover them.
Hey if you need any moved off base.. I am picking mine up in two weeks (Bought one of the ones with covers) - I live literally 10 minutes from post and have ID and such. Let me know.

jjb

Thanks for all of the info. I've towed much larger trailers with the Duramax so I think I'll be good. Staying off main roads and taking it easy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of the info. I've towed much larger trailers with the Duramax so I think I'll be good. Staying off main roads and taking it easy

Yes, but have you towed them without brakes?

An empty M1082 is more of a handful than a 30k GTW gooseneck.

I think you'll be fine...

jjb

Yes, but have you towed them without brakes?

An empty M1082 is more of a handful than a 30k GTW gooseneck.

I think you'll be fine...
Yes, working on a farm years ago did it many times.

I have an equipment trailer I could use that has brakes but I'm not sure it's wide enough. I probably need a deck over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks