Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MRAP parts identification

Corporal
    Thanks

Default MRAP parts identification

My agency has a BAE Systems Caiman II MRAP, Cat C-9 with Meritor Defense Series 50 Axle Setup. Its a 6X6 with all independent axle with coil springs, and it has disc brakes all the way around. I'm looking for part numbers for the disc brake rotor, the pads and the brake Chamber. The digital copy I have of the parts manual covers only the MAXXPRO and the Previous MRAP Caiman with leaf springs and solid axle which used drum brakes. Can anyone help me with part numbers for these???

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,010 Posts

First of all welcome to the website. Sounds like your Caiman has the usual unsolved dragging brake issue?

Corporal
    Thanks

I know what causes it. The air system gets contaminated with water. Doesn't seem the dryer is adequate enough for the system. I have rebuilt the dryer and changed the filter and still have a high moisture issue. As long as I keep draining tanks and do a few pumps of brake system I don't have the issue. I'd just like to change the brake pads, rotor and chambers. I only have an issue with one caliper in particular.

I've tied back into air system with a ball valve to use the central inflation system. I will take some pictures of ours and get it posted. I'm the lead driver and I do majority of repairs on it as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomadeputy For This Useful Post:

gimpyrobb (07-16-2017)

MVPA
    Thanks

Is it the right rear caliper? That seems to be where quite a few have the dragging problem. Appreciate the moisture diagnosis, that could very well be the issue. We noticed that the dragging would go away when the system air was drained, which is why I never suspected moisture.

Corporal
    Thanks

Ours dragged on the rear tandems, passenger side front axle. Its all related to Moisture. I'm looking at installing another Dryer setup that I use on my Oilfield Equipment to help keep water out of the system. I also believe the dryer is installed to low on the Chassis.

MVPA
    Thanks

Please let us know if that fixes it. There are numerous agencies here in Texas that have deadlined Caimans due to this issue. I'll pass on the info.

Corporal
    Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomadeputy For This Useful Post:

bikeman (07-24-2019), silverstate55 (07-16-2017)

Corporal
    Thanks

It will fix it I know. The issue is keep moisture out of system. I drain tanks every chance I get while operating. I may even install a remote drain. But I need to get new pads, rotor and a chamber to insure I have clean parts. I don't believe in running parts that have shown an issue. All else fails and I cant get part #'s, I will just reverse engineer it. I have tons of documents on these things but no parts document on the CAT II Caiman by BAE system. I have the Maxxpro, and the cougars but not Caiman CAT II with the C-9

MVPA
    Thanks

Consensus seems to be that a ETM on the Caiman II was never released by BAE prior to the Sealy plant closure. Everything went in the trash. The Meritor axles are not supported either. Great looking rig!

Corporal
    Thanks

Well I will try my contact with BAE then. He had all sorts of info when we picked it up. Meritor seems to think this stuff is secret. But I have a hard time seeing it as secret when its a brake product and I have it in my possession. I can reverse engineer it. I don't understand why they would want to keep a brake product info away from us, its a safety issue and safety of the motoring public who share road with these trucks when we operate them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomadeputy For This Useful Post:

gimpyrobb (07-16-2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast