• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well another LVT-4 gets to come back to life...

Update 6-21-16

She made it 2700 miles across the country... The truck tractor and low boy got stuck on the gravel road (trailer high centered with the tractor wheels in the ditch) but I was able to get him free with the wrecker...

We walked the local area and decided to be cautious and unload a bit away from the property due to lack of turn around options for the low boy - she came off nice and easy...

Rolls and steers well - brakes work and she'll turn pretty darn sharp as long as you don't mind tearing up the ground...

Next project is to put some new batteries in and figure out what it will take to convert back to 12v neg ground as it is currently wire 12v pos ground...

Enjoy

Matt

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the transport went good . That unit looks in pretty good shape , how is the rust on it ?? they were sitting outside in South Buffalo for quite a few years .

It's not too bad - the hull and floor is pretty sound - the entry ways by the engine room need new flooring, otherwise it's just the tool box and gas tank filler areas that are rotted...

I am going to put the nose back to normal and extend the bilge outlet pipes back to the OEM size... Also the rear gate opens but I haven't fully dropped it... The diagonal pipes on the top of the gate need replacing too...

Also perhaps someone knows here - I opened the pass side forward inspection hatch where the fixed fire suppression system is supposed to live and the void is totally empty - got one braided armored cable that goes to the remote control box for the radio and then no other brackets of any kind...

It's all WWII OD peeling paint with green zinc chromate primer underneath so it has not been modified... Did they delete the fixed fire systems in the late model 4's?

Well - she runs - got the Cummins 250 to fire off pretty easily actually after sitting for 8+ years; two new batteries, converted it from positive to negative ground, cleaned the mud daubers out of the air cleaner, and hit the go button - 3rd try she came to life.

All the controls appear to work and she moves under her own power now

And I found the answer to the fire system - was looking in the next void aft from the actual location - there is half a bracket left and the pulley swivels for the pull cables but that's about it... Does anyone know if the fire nozzles were used on other vehicles of the time (Stuart perhaps?)

Going to start deep cleaning now that I can move her under cover and pump all the rain water out of the ballast tank and bilge... Looking for the seacock, ballast piping, ballast valve, hand bilge pump and associated piping and the fuel manifold (under the deck plates behind the driver seat)...

srodocker

I know he was out of town for work which reminds me to send him a message heh. This thing is a beast, I got to walk around on it and I didnt think they were that big. Cant wait for him to get it going.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering that it was sitting in a field by the old steel plant in WNY for YEARS it sounds and looks pretty good . They didn't get used much , just some in the winter to break ice in the river in winter . And yes they are BIG in person , the top of the track has got to be 6-7 Feet off the ground ! Did they weld up the ramp on that one ???

Hi guys - yep I have been gone most of the winter but have been collecting parts here and there... I need to get walls on the shop before going on it too hard but at least now it is under a roof which is probably the first time in many years...

And yes they are about 8 foot and change tall so the top of the tracks are easily 6 - 7 foot off the ground...

The listing incorrectly listed the rear gates welded up - what they did weld was the escape hatch which penetrates the ponton by the driver position - they just used mass amount of silicone to seal the rear gate - I haven't dropped the gate yet since the winch in the toolbox has lost it's foundation - it'll get fixed all in good time...

I am still searching for the switch panel, distribution box, radio boxes, and the bilge system valves. Also clutch parts (pressure plate, friction plates, and linkage).

Anyone have any leads on a 30 cal ball mount?

I did get a tow rig and a core to make a trailer for it too...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks