• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ibis tek light bar vs led light bar.

Kswiney

Just like it says I am looking for anyone with experience with both. Looking for a direct comparison pro/cons. I am looking for the 78" ibis tek light bar vs led light bars of various lengths. If I go led I will be building a custom bracket and mix matching lengths to fit.

Doesn't have to be vehicle specific however I am looking to install this on an m998.

jake-cutter

I went with the Ibis Tek since it is plug and play specific to the HMMWV and really easy to install. I will be adding some Rigid or Aurora led cubes or smaller light bars to the grill area in the future once all of my other projects are done.

Kswiney

I went with the Ibis Tek since it is plug and play specific to the HMMWV and really easy to install. I will be adding some Rigid or Aurora led cubes or smaller light bars to the grill area in the future once all of my other projects are done.

How are they as far as brightness goes? Where did you get it? Do you have any pictures?

tage

HID vs LED.
HID are going to be more direct plug, and play. and cheaper. Fleabay has the Ibis for 200$?

Safety crew at the local dirt circle track uses Rigid Industries LED's. Even had them set up to flash blue/red. Higher quality. $$$

I mounted some Hella's with H4/ballast where the motor pool added round black out lights. I had them left over so it was a free mod.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't own a HMMWV or an LED light bar, but perhaps my input on the Ibis Tek will be of help to you?

I did put a 66" Ibis Tek light bar on my M35A2.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125231-Ibis-Tek-Light-Bar-Install
2015-03-21 20.25.22.jpg 2015-03-21 20.25.38.jpg 2015-03-21 20.26.08.jpg 2015-03-21 20.27.12.jpg

The Ibis Tek light bar has several flaws.

First, internally I found I had to disassemble the light bar and fix loose/bent brackets so that the ballasts did not continue to flop around damaging themselves and/or wiring. This was the case on every. Single. One. of the ballast in not only this 66" light bar, but all THREE of my other 24" light bars (currently not mounted).
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Second, in one of my three 24" Ibis Tek light bars, the internal electrical control module is completely exposed, it is not sealed in epoxy (like the other two) which means it is not weather safe.

Thirdly, the aluminum mounting brackets for the 66" bar are too weak. One of mine developed a crack in about 750 miles of pavement driving (with only ~30 miles on a maintained dirt road). I'm paying a very talented fabricator to fix and reinforce them.
image.jpg image.jpg

I still do like my 66" Ibis Tek light bar though. I enjoy the extra shade it provides my truck, I love the fold up cover to protect the lights for rocks/branches. So far, I would still recommend them, but only if obtainable for a very good price knowing these flaws and if you are willing/able to fix them once received.

Last edited:

Typhus Concussion

Curved Light Bar Bracket

I know this is an old thread, but it is very informative on the pros and cons of the light bar. Can you help me with where to get the curved light bar bracket? I have an Ibis Tek 66, but I don't want to use thcorner brackets that came with it, I like the curved side mount brackets better. Thank you

I don't own a HMMWV or an LED light bar, but perhaps my input on the Ibis Tek will be of help to you?

I did put a 66" Ibis Tek light bar on my M35A2.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125231-Ibis-Tek-Light-Bar-Install
View attachment 626920 View attachment 626921 View attachment 626922 View attachment 626923

The Ibis Tek light bar has several flaws.

First, internally I found I had to disassemble the light bar and fix loose/bent brackets so that the ballasts did not continue to flop around damaging themselves and/or wiring. This was the case on every. Single. One. of the ballast in not only this 66" light bar, but all THREE of my other 24" light bars (currently not mounted).
View attachment 626910 View attachment 626911 View attachment 626912 View attachment 626914 View attachment 626915 View attachment 626916 View attachment 626917

Second, in one of my three 24" Ibis Tek light bars, the internal electrical control module is completely exposed, it is not sealed in epoxy (like the other two) which means it is not weather safe.

Thirdly, the aluminum mounting brackets for the 66" bar are too weak. One of mine developed a crack in about 750 miles of pavement driving (with only ~30 miles on a maintained dirt road). I'm paying a very talented fabricator to fix and reinforce them.
View attachment 626918 View attachment 626919

I still do like my 66" Ibis Tek light bar though. I enjoy the extra shade it provides my truck, I love the fold up cover to protect the lights for rocks/branches. So far, I would still recommend them, but only if obtainable for a very good price knowing these flaws and if you are willing/able to fix them once received.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread, but it is very informative on the pros and cons of the light bar. Can you help me with where to get the curved light bar bracket? I have an Ibis Tek 66, but I don't want to use thcorner brackets that came with it, I like the curved side mount brackets better. Thank you
Unfortunately, I have only seen the brackets (curved, straight, or otherwise) for sale with the light bar. You can try placing want ads or continually searching eBay (via saved searches), but I do not know of any other source that sells individual components. I suspect contacting Ibis Tek directly would be fruitless, but I guess you don't know until you try.

Typhus Concussion

Unfortunately, I have only seen the brackets (curved, straight, or otherwise) for sale with the light bar. You can try placing want ads or continually searching eBay (via saved searches), but I do not know of any other source that sells individual components. I suspect contacting Ibis Tek directly would be fruitless, but I guess you don't know until you try.
I put in another inquiry to them today, but as usual no response. I will wait and see. The side curved mount brackets seem to be very hard to come by and the kit I received as corner top windshield mounts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 66" Ibis light bar. does any one know where I can get replacement ballast
I haven't had to replace any of mine, but if you see the picture of the underneath of one of my ballasts in post #9, you need a 24V 35W HID Ballast. A quick search on eBay didn't show any exact matches...

Sbrown777

I took a 78" bar and replaced the halogen lights with 100w 24V HIDs. They'll melt your face off.

Just curious which bulbs you used and where you bought them? I recently purchased the 78” bar and it comes with Halogen lights. Looking to purchase HID’s to replace them. Sounds like you’ve done this successfully. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a while back, but I was trying to figure out pricing on these bars and saw this post. I have as pair of the original curved side mount brackets sitting on a shelf. If you still need a set, send me a PM. I am sure we can figure out a fair deal.

Cheers!
-Economist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks