• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What sandblaster should i buy? need opinions...

supeman100

Hi guys, bought bobbed deuce #3 today and am currently in the process of getting it restored. The bed is from a 5 ton and is very rusty as well as some rust holes in it, the rest of the body paint is in decent shape. I want to buy a sandblaster but have no idea on what to buy or look for. On my last truck i paid $1500 for someone to do it but id prefer to do the work myself this time. Can anybody point me into the right direction? If i don't sandblast it, can i take a wire wheel and get the rust off and then paint over the CARC? Or do i need to take it down to bare metal?
Thanks for the help! Here are some pics...
deuce1.JPGdeuce2.JPG
deuce.jpg

m38inmaine

I have done a lot of this type of work and you are money ahead if you take it to where they blast large items. It takes a lot of air to blast, if you do get a blaster rent a tow behind compressor. The hobby blasters and home air compressors will take a very long time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC is super slow to sandblast completely off to bare metal. See if you can do spot repairs with a angle sander.

supeman100

Will look into renting a pull behind for the day. How much does it usually run per day? Do you think if i were to buy a smaller home sandblaster i would be able to get anything done?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get one with a concave top (no need for a funnel), make sure it's at least 100 pound capacity. Northern tool sells nice ones (quality) for around $400. I have a $1400 Snap on one I found on Craigslist for $350. My 5 HP Quincy compressor easily operates it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have done a lot of this type of work and you are money ahead if you take it to where they blast large items. It takes a lot of air to blast, if you do get a blaster rent a tow behind compressor. The hobby blasters and home air compressors will take a very long time.
This. A thousand times.

We did this to a deuce. Started with a standard 6hp 60 gallon compressor. Quickly gave up and rented a trailer mounted diesel compressor.

You need MAD volume to run a sandblaster.

IMAG1840800x600.jpgIMAG1847800x600.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need CFM's while sandblasting. My 5 HP will actually shut off while blasting due to the air it produces (granted it was 2K). If you need to rent a compressor, they are actually not bad.

supeman100

I would like to buy one if possible. How big of a compressor would i need to run the blaster? I dont think my tiny 2 gallon compressor will do the job.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your 2 gallon will not work at all. You generally need about 15 CFM (varies with tip size). Most household 5HP compressors will really struggle with a blaster. I would say that is an absolute minimum.

waayfast

Our local rent-all place will work a pretty sweet deal for a weekend. Maybe yours will as well. This would give more time so as not to be rushed.

Please be aware sandblasting is NOT operator friendly. A sealed, pressurized helmet/mask is really the only way to make sure the dust from the operation and the residue being removed stays out of your lungs. Silica sand, I.E. glass, once in your lungs will never come out. Silicosis=big problems! And don't forget ear protection-- my uncle is profoundly hard of hearing from sandblasting as a young man.

Jim

Artisan

It is a HUGE waste of time to do LARGE items yourself.
Ask me how I know!

Conversely, it is a BIG WIN to do smalls your self.

I have a Media Blast and Abrasives VIPER glass bead blast
cabinet for smalls, and I will NEVER be w/o such a tool ever again.

I tried the large item thing and I was successful but when
it is all said and done you WILL be dollars ahead to farm
it out.

Welder1

The size of the compressor is directly related to how fast you can clean things. Smaller compressors will not be sufficient for some thing like a bed. I do commercial blasting and an I run a 100HP Ingersoll Rand diesel unit. I blast with a #6 nozzle that's a 3/8" bore and uses about 250CFM of air. I would suggest you find a local commercial blaster and have them do it. By the time you rent a unit and buy sand you will not be money ahead. Commercial blasters buy sand by the ton and its much cheaper. I buy it by the tanker load which is 26 tons and its pumped into a silo. My blast pot holds 6,000 lbs of sand so I can blast non stop for about 6 hrs.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been going through the same thought process. Researching blasters, and compressors. I am a DIY guy. I swear sometimes I will work 40 hours and spend $2000, so I don't have to spend $2500 letting someone else do it.

Learn the hard way I guess.

I have given up on the DIY blasting for big projects. I will sub it out. Not worth the time or hassle. Plus I'll likely get a much better job letting a pro do it as opposed to me learning how to do it.

1190KTM

Just a heads up, those dustless blasting systems are absolute garbage. They know how to use the hype train to get people stoked on a ****ty product. I've worked for Graco and I've used the EcoQuip vapor blasting units, they are much more efficient, use considerably less media and it's a very green to use for the environment. So yeah, if you want more info I would suggest digging in to vapor blasting. It's amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks